Hornady sst

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I used to reload my own Nosler Ballistic tip bullets. Once I found the Hornady Superformance SST I switched. I can't even guess how many deer I have taken with that round. Never lost a deer with it. Shooting the 150 gr out of my .308 at 3000 fps. Always get a complete passthrough unless I hit them in the shoulder which it just explodes the inside. Never had one run more than 50 yds with it. Best thing is I'm not scared to take a shot with this round no matter how they are facing or angled. It's going to do what it's supposed to do and kill the deer. Confidence is everything and I have it with that round.

marlin

I’ve been shooting the Winchester supreme ballistic silver tips since they came out. I’ve shot them in a 270 and a 7mm. Only had 2 that I can recall that I didn’t get a complete pass through. Also use nosler ballistic tip hand loads for a 308 (125gr) and a 7-08 (140gr) and have had complete pass through’s with them. All but a few shots heart/lung area with good blood trails that require a short tracking job 50 yds or less.

furtaker

There's your issue. My load is above "book max". All 280 book data is kept very mundane. I run IMR-7828. Unless you are loading for a semi-auto there is no reason that a 280 cannot be loaded to 270 pressures.

The 120 NBT has a very thick jacket and is also a awesome bullet.
I've heard 280 data could be a bit mild I didn't think it was overly mild. Most listed velocities for the 280 are right between the 7-08 and 7RM which is exactly where I would expect them to be.

I know when Remington renamed the cartridge to 7mm Express Remington they also upped the velocity.

Now my modern Howa in 6.5x55 is one rifle that I always exceed book data, and sometimes greatly so. Most load data for that cartridge is extremely anemic.

280 Man

Banned
I've heard 280 data could be a bit mild I didn't think it was overly mild. Most listed velocities for the 280 are right between the 7-08 and 7RM which is exactly where I would expect them to be.

I know when Remington renamed the cartridge to 7mm Express Remington they also upped the velocity.

Now my modern Howa in 6.5x55 is one rifle that I always exceed book data, and sometimes greatly so. Most load data for that cartridge is extremely anemic.

If you know anyone that has Quick Load program get them to run some load numbers for you at 60,000 to 65,000 psi. The same as the 270 win

bighonkinjeep

In my experience SST is constructed more like a varmint bullet than a medium game bullet. They are very fragile as far as bullets go but expand nicely at low velocitys and they are cheap so I do use them for reduced "youth" loads in .308. They seldom pass through and just blow up/ fragment into pieces when they hit something at full velocity with no exit and little blood trail. Only deer I ever lost, wound up being coyote food after being shot behind the shoulder with a factory SST in 25-06. Here's a comparison pic of whats left of a "youth loaded" 125gr at probably 2200fps that didn't exit. Thankfully this deer died on the spot. If I had to choose, I'd choose a different bullet for a full power -06 load. (the pic is of a 125gr sst from a youth load at 2200-2400FPS, recoverd total weight was 61gr less than half of original weight with the largest piece being 39gr the only bone encountered was the ribs.)

Attachments

• beaver creek 2020 andrew bullet 125gr-61gr-31gr.jpg
    beaver creek 2020 andrew bullet 125gr-61gr-31gr.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

chiggerbait

Not a fan of the sst. I've used them, coreloks, powerpoints, ballistic tips, accubonds, partitions, and ttsx on deer bear and hogs in my 243. Best all around bullet seems to be the nosler partition. I want a bullet to penetrate deep enough at most any angle but always shoot lungs if broadside. Accubonds and ttsx are next on the list.
Partitions have good expansion, stay together, and great penetration. Best bullet I have found for my 270...

Bowyer29

7.62x39 is what I use them in, with excellent results so far.
I'm switching from the Interlock to the SST.
I know it supposed to be the same bullet, with an exposed lead tip vs. plastic, but the lack of blood trail with the Interlock really made me nrevous.
Great lung shot, only ran 30 yards, but literally no blood. SST's work very well for my Uncle at around 2250 fps.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience SST is constructed more like a varmint bullet than a medium game bullet. They are very fragile as far as bullets go but expand nicely at low velocitys and they are cheap so I do use them for reduced "youth" loads in .308. They seldom pass through and just blow up/ fragment into pieces when they hit something at full velocity with no exit and little blood trail. Only deer I ever lost, wound up being coyote food after being shot behind the shoulder with a factory SST in 25-06. Here's a comparison pic of whats left of a "youth loaded" 125gr at probably 2200fps that didn't exit. Thankfully this deer died on the spot. If I had to choose, I'd choose a different bullet for a full power -06 load.
My opinion is similar. They work well in slower, less powerful calibers, but I wouldn't use them in a faster caliber.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I hope sst is a good bullet because I happen to have a large assortment of them on standby. So far two for two dropped.

krizia829

Thinking of switching to them. I've been using core lot's in my 06, but as we all know Remington us null and void now. I'm down to 15 bullets left so I'll be need more in the next year. For yall who use the sst rounds, do they pass completely through or do they expand to the point that they don't pass through?

That's the only round I'll use as long as it's still in production! I use the Superformance 150gr SST for my 30-06 and have dropped everything I've shot with it on the spot. Lots of damage. Never had any doubt on that round and all shots have been pass- through except a hog I shot a few years back but those suckers are tough. Great round in all calibers!

bshurette56

Ive used SST's (154gr) in my 7mag and results have varied. If you shoot at close range and dont hit bone the bullet will zip right through them and it does not leave much of a blood trail (if any). Hit them in the shoulder and the bullet will wreck them. I killed an 8 this year and hit shoulder and exited hole on ribs was the size of crab apple. Shot a yote at 50 yards in the shoulder and had a baseball size exit. Double lung shot a doe at 80 and she ran hard for 60-70 yards and died. No blood to be found. I do agree with others that it performs best when slowed down. I will be experimenting with other bullets this off-season. Some spots I hunt are on the edges of thickets and if they run into the thicket and die, its very difficult to track without blood. Shoulder shots typically drop them. Great post and info being shared.

Ugahunter2013

I'm shooting Winchester 250gr XP's out of my 450 Bushmaster. I shot a 200lb Ohio Buck last week. The buck ran about 50 yards (after a 20 yard shot) and fell over. The body cavity was nothing but blood soup. Buck was slightly quartered to me and bullet entered behind the front shoulder and came out halfway on the opposite side. There was 0 blood trail. I would like to have a bullet to open them up more on the exit and get more blood trail personally.

I am also looking for new bullets for my 7 mag. Have same issues with it. I am shooting Core Lokts. Was told Nosler Partitions were what I needed to get more of a blood trail. I have never needed a blood trail, but I want one in case I ever do.

RamblinWreck

I like the .30 cal 125 SST in 300BO. Half the price of Barnes Tac-TX and you get twice as many bullets in the box. Works good on hogs, but I only take shots well under 100 yards, hunting at night with NV.

In my .270 I use the 140 Sierra Game King. I have shot deer at 300 yards, and at 20 feet with it. Deadly, and very tight groups.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I'm shooting Winchester 250gr XP's out of my 450 Bushmaster. I shot a 200lb Ohio Buck last week. The buck ran about 50 yards (after a 20 yard shot) and fell over. The body cavity was nothing but blood soup. Buck was slightly quartered to me and bullet entered behind the front shoulder and came out halfway on the opposite side. There was 0 blood trail. I would like to have a bullet to open them up more on the exit and get more blood trail personally.

I am also looking for new bullets for my 7 mag. Have same issues with it. I am shooting Core Lokts. Was told Nosler Partitions were what I needed to get more of a blood trail. I have never needed a blood trail, but I want one in case I ever do.
I have no problem with my blood trails from the core lokt. My problem is a replacement for them that compares to them i will be happy with

Buckman18

Ive had excellent results with 150gr Superformance SST out of a 30-06. For years and years. Deer, hog, bear.

I get good exit holes with 129 grain SST in my 6.5 Creedmoor this shot was about 125-150 yards top of shoulder entering and exiting

Attachments

• F25A109D-39D5-4D87-953E-C685A92F8441.jpeg
    F25A109D-39D5-4D87-953E-C685A92F8441.jpeg
    294.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 25C08D5F-EE8F-429F-8875-516A85E5E047.jpeg
    25C08D5F-EE8F-429F-8875-516A85E5E047.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 31

krizia829

I get good exit holes with 129 grain SST in my 6.5 Creedmoor this shot was about 125-150 yards top of shoulder entering and exiting
Wow!! I've never even seen anything like that with my 30-06! Crazy what that 6.5 can do! I'd be doing neck shots with that damage lol