How many clubs are harvesting more than 10 deer per 600 acres?

Catdaddy SC

Just as many already thought:

They can kill 50% of the herd every year and miracle of miracles the herd rebounds with no ill effect. All the does on these special properties drop 4 fawns every year:rolleyes:

You are correct. Any club that is harvesting that many is exploiting their herd as well as the neighbors.

DeepweR

well professor jeff, we been doin this 15 yrs and aint had a problem! if u seen the ad u seen the pics. what helps us out is the 1000s of ac 0f beans and corn around us. we see a rut in nov and in dec. last season 1st week of nov i saw 5 different bucks chasen` the same doe at the same time. then the next mornin i saw an 8pt chasen a doe to my right on the powerline and a 8pt to my left chasen` a different doe thats 7 different bucks in 2 days of huntn and i didnt pull the trigger on anything. so does it sound like we have a problem? i want to hear from the Woodys team of experts.............

Jeff Phillips

I know of many clubs in the Piedmont that had the same kind of history as your club. Killed piles of deer for years. Now other clubs with the same hunter density join those clubs, they all think they need to shoot does for the freezer, and deer sightings are rare.

Your club is .78 of a square mile. To sustain your kill rate the population needs to be right at 100 deer per square mile.

DeepweR

u may be right in theory, but when i sit in a stand say 8 days a month for 3 months outa the yr and i see 75 deer. your theroy dont mean squat to me. yeah we have 9 members but 4 outa 9 never show up and when they do they only hunt 4-5 times a yr.

spurandrack

habitat controls the number of deer on any property, not hunting pressure, not number of deer kills , not yotes.....

Biological fact....

s&r

auburndeerhunter

this would only work if you have a very large tract of land or it is fenced in. because i shot the same amount of deer every year and some years the deer are really moving and some they are not.

DeepweR

all i can say is, if you want to hunt where there are alot of deer. you better be in the southern zone where the crops are. in the northern zone the only crop grown is pine trees. deer dont eat pine trees. oh yeah, and leave the 4wheelers at camp or home.

spurandrack

Some of the highest deer herd populations are in the Northern zone threw the piedmont region. Right threw the middle of the state from the Alabama line to South Carolina line.

There are plenty of deer in the southern zone no doubt. Most of the highest concentrations are on the rivers where farm land is on the high ground. By and large I would say the northern zone has just as many deer as the southern zone even excluding the mountain counties.

s&r

win280

i want to hear from the Woodys team of experts.............

Fence in your hunting lease ,Then see how long it takes before you have a problem
30 deer PSM
50%killed= 15 left 1/2bucks,1/2does

Subtract natural death,predation.Wounded deer,etc...Lets say 2 does
Now you have 13 deer left in April. 7 bucks and 6 does.6 does have 1 and 3 does have 2 fawns each.
12 fawns born total. You now have 25 deer before fawns are still birthed,killed by weather,yotes,bears etc....(this is estimated at up to 70% kill Ratio)
Repeat for 5 years and you have a lot of time to think about life while waiting on that imaginary deer to appear.
30% would be the most you would want to kill to maintain a herd If you have yotes running around..IMO

win280

Deer don't recognize property lines. It is not unusual for at least 1 of the neighboring properties to be underhunted while another may be overhunted.

IMO the 30% harvest goal has to be calculated based on the entire range of the herd and not just your club property...impossible in most cases.

you are correct.
We killed a buck 2 weeks after another club shot and wounded a buck 3 miles away. This is a fact.
First hunter id'ed the deer.

Latest posts