How many gobblers have you heard at one time?

Dupree

The day before the season about 3-4 years ago I heard 18 different birds from one hill top. Listened to 8-10 of them gobble for over an hour after daylight. The next day I only heard one?

earlyspur

I am going to estimate about 25 or 30 and I'm positive they were different ones but we have land that has two major creeks and 5 or 6 feeder branches (lots of big hardwoods). Been hunting in several different states never seen anything like my own property

short stop

20+ NeGa 2 yrs ago .
Ive heard 8-10 on any given morning in a couple spots private land around the Lake Oconee area .
I heard 3 today .

abolt2506

9 that i knew were different birds for sure. but have had days i thought there was 12 to 15. Heard 7 this A.M.

ultramag

I heard at least 20 gobbling this past saturday morning in Northern Missouri..I got up before daylight just to hear them let it rip...On my way home sunday morning i stopped in one spot and heard 10 on one ridge

Jody Hawk

Darrell,
I honestly can't tell you how many I heard opening morning of this year. Let's see, I called in four longbeards and three jakes that were gobbling. Then there's the ones that were across the river gobbling and the far off distant gobbles that I heard on up and down the river. I've never heard nothing like it as long as I've turkey hunted. It only lasted that weekend though. Loggers are in there now and you can't buy a gobble down there. :huh:

Handgunner

I've forgotten what a gobbler sounds like... :banginghe :banginghe

Opening morning, we heard 5 different ones... and seen one longbeard that never said a word.

rutandstrut

The most I have ever heard is in Kansas. I would estimate that there were 40-50 Gobbling within hearing distance.

I have had at least 9 Gobbling in a WMA in Florida.

We got right underneath a few last year in New York. There were 7 Long Beards and 4 Jakes, all of them were Gobbling. There was also a very mad Hen who was Cutting at us and jumping from limb to limb trying to find the Intruder Hen!

30 + Rios from the same Cottonwood in Texas.

It's something you hear and feel if close enough.

Every Turkey hunter needs to experience it once.

Thats funny you say that Nitro...in 2006 i hunted Rio's and i heard more gobblers at one time out there than anywhere else i ever hunted. We heard easily 20 different mature sounding gobblers at one time. It sounded like a chorus for over an hour and a half...A buddy of mine actually wrote a story my hunt with him in Fair Chase, which is a magazine put out by EWA. It was in the August issue of last year i believe. Anyway, that was amazing...that and calling in 9 strutting gobblers at the same time and all of them being mature!!

Another guy i am friends with took 4 guys out for 2 days of gobbler hunting on a ranch near the one i hunted in West Texas and they got 14 out of a possible 16. Here is a pic of their haul. This is a pay hunt. You pay a trespass fee to the ranch owner and he gets whatever tips from the hunters...i think it is 600 for the two days and you can kill your limit of 4 birds...if you can call them in.

Here is his actual post with pic...

Here is what my turkey hunters did last weekend. 4 guys, 14 gobblers, 2 days. I dont think i have any more openings this year. $600 lodging and meals included. You can kill 4 gobblers, and all the hogs and varmints you to to shoot.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 153

SETH

20 - 30 RIOS in one morning - Texas
40 - 50 Merriums - over 100 birds in one flock- Nebraska

Strutter

I have heard 13 from one spot on Piedmont National. They were like hands on a clock, all the way around me. It was awesome. On Piedmont I normally hear 7-8 on a normal morning. I've hunted Cedar Creek WMA and have heard as many as 8 from one spot.

Gut_Pile

14 one morning last year on the flynt in upson county. They were lined up down the river and once one of them wounded off 13 more would follow. It was an awesome experience.

beginnersluck

The most on any one day was coming from 7 different directions. I had 3 gobbling from one direction, 2 from another, and 1 from the rest. Let's see, that adds up to 10 gobblers (and some may have been gobbling at the same time, so possibly more!). I've had several occasions where I would hear 3 or more birds in the same location. I've hunted several days where I've heard one bird firing off at each of 4 or 5 different directions. That's a beautiful sound when you hear them surrounding you...but it still doesn't mean you'll close the deal, and I'm speaking from experience!