How to treat a fan to use during hunt

erhunter

Wanted to plug a real fan into a jake decoy. It’s in the freezer, any advice how to care for the tissue at the base so it stays useable ? Someone told me once borax then hot glue

FOLES55

Take a piece of board and tack the fan spread wide open with finishing nails. Then add borax and or salt to dry it out good. Once dried I removed the dried meat/flesh as best as I could. When finished you can simply apply an epoxy mix to the base and let it set up good. This has worked for me in the past with good results.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I never do anything but salt and spread my fans every year. The fan I used last year is all moldy and breaking at the base. The new fan I saved from last year got eaten by my daughters new cat.
So don't do what I do.
I will pay attention to this thread too and learn.
Good luck!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I took all the feathers out and stuck them in a piece of foam. The foam is cut to a half moon shape and painted brown. It works. Its just to cumbersome for me to carry on a day to day basis.

Wayne D Davis

I have a fan and wings from 2 yrs ago.....I've salted them after removing the meat best as possible . They where pinned into position for about 3 months. Hoping to put on a display of some kind, just havnt gotten around to it yet.

hambone76

I have the part from my old Primos B-Mobile decoy that allowed the use of real fan feathers. It folds up to a way smaller overall profile.