How to value older truck?

zedex

Gator Bait
3-5 grand is about right.

My daughter will be taking over my current truck inside 2 years. Ten years ago I promised to her she could have it when she got her learners permit.

I've resigned myself to 2 things....... I have less than 2 years to restore my current truck and find a truck like yours for myself. So I've been watching the market. A daily driver is the 3-5 mark and the price only goes north from there. I saw one show truck that was spotless. I mean fresh restored and freshly bathed spotless. It hit the auction block with a $75 thousand reserve, sold at 86G.
Maybe bust out the tools and a bit of work on yours

cactusjack

3-5 grand is about right.

My daughter will be taking over my current truck inside 2 years. Ten years ago I promised to her she could have it when she got her learners permit.

I've resigned myself to 2 things....... I have less than 2 years to restore my current truck and find a truck like yours for myself. So I've been watching the market. A daily driver is the 3-5 mark and the price only goes north from there. I saw one show truck that was spotless. I mean fresh restored and freshly bathed spotless. It hit the auction block with a $75 thousand reserve, sold at 86G.
Maybe bust out the tools and a bit of work on yours

Agreed. There's a few K5 Blazers on eBay that are amazing and cost a pretty penny.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
long wheel base = -$$
3/4 ton = -$$

to tell you the honest facts, the only model in those square bodies that would sell for less would be the same truck in 2WD. Being a 4WD will actually bring you a bit more money. There may be someone out there that will pay 5k for it, but you will be holding on to it a long time to find that one person. 3K to 3.75K is where I would value it for a fairly quick sale

cactusjack

long wheel base = -$$
3/4 ton = -$$

to tell you the honest facts, the only model in those square bodies that would sell for less would be the same truck in 2WD. Being a 4WD will actually bring you a bit more money. There may be someone out there that will pay 5k for it, but you will be holding on to it a long time to find that one person. 3K to 3.75K is where I would value it for a fairly quick sale

Thanks for the insight. Seems a couple of y'all think it being a long bed depreciates the value. Id of never figured that. I also see that most, myself included, agree that someone has to specifically want / need a truck like this. We'll see. I don't have to sell nor am I in a rush. Thanks for the insight and tips.

Artfuldodger

I would agree with what Pappy said, 3.5k quick sale, 5k for that person who really want's it.
Personally, I'd still list it for 5.5k but not have any expectation that it will bring that.
Short wheel base trucks of that era just look better even though LWB's are more practical . Just like 2 door cars look better than 4 door.

Being 4wd, does LWB vs SWB make any difference with hunters? Also maybe hunting season might be a good time to list it when you do get ready to see what it will bring.

Last edited:

MOTS

I wouldn't consider any less than 6000.00 if it was mine. I would rather have the LWB in that time era now that I'm older. The first figure to pop in my head was 7500.00 when I read the post.

WishboneW

The long bed and 3/4 ton may add value in a different part of the country. If you have a VIN “M” motor (heavy duty) it should add value. That motor has 4 bolt main bearing caps and a 1 piece rear main seal. Highly prized for hot rods or strong torque motor builds

zedex

Gator Bait
I agree about short wheel base being more valuable.
I've had one long wheel base truck. Hated it. The truck I'm hoping to find is a shorty. Much better looking truck, more maneuverable and less metal fatigue.
Of course, I'd also like to have a short wheel base van of the mid to late 70s era...

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'll say 5-6k. I'd start at 6k and see where it goes.

Sell it on a Facebook square body group.

For $35,000+ it can be restored to be a $20,000 truck.

Funny how that works.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’d figure $3500-$5000 around here, SWB are definitely more popular in my area. I’d try to keep it on the road some, a sitting vehicle is easy to neglect.