How to value older truck?

cactusjack

Hello all,

https://forum.gon.com/threads/let’s-see-them-square-bodys.969590/unread

The above link got me thinking about my truck. Long story short, owned the truck for the past 20 years. Used to be my daily driver. Has not been being used hardly ever for the past 10 years. Got older, marriage, kids, work responsibilities and life in general. I do not ever believe I'll be able to restore this truck like I would want to. If I were to put her up for sale, how do I determine the value? Obviously something is only worth what what someone is willing to pay for it, but I don't know how get a baseline value. I know in some circles people really like these older Chevy's and to be quite honest I've not seen many 3/4 ton long beds out there. I tried going to KBB, auto trader and the like and the years available don't go back that far. Looked on Ebay and Craigslist and can't find one to compare it to. She's an 1987 Silverado 3/4 ton long bed 4x4. 5.7 350. By no means is it in the greatest shape and I wouldn't put it on a long road trip, but overall it's a great truck to start on. Thoughts? Thanks for replies.
IMG_0745.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 71

Artfuldodger

I don't have an answer but I do know they bring more than one would think. I think most people prefer a short wheel base. That might lower the price some.
What about rust? It looks really good from the pictures. The body is them important thing, one can always stick a new motor in it.

cactusjack

I don't have an answer but I do know they bring more than one would think. I think most people prefer a short wheel base. That might lower the price some.
What about rust? It looks really good from the pictures. The body is them important thing, one can always stick a new motor in it.

Minor surface rust on top of cab and drivers side of the bed where the paint has gotten thin. No rust underneath or rocker panels. Interior is in good shape as well other than the bench seat needing to be re-upholstered.

I did a quick check and found tons for sale on ebay and craigslist. You might have to look nationally.

I saw some for 2K and some fixed up nice for 20K. As to the value of yours, I have no idea.

My daughter who will be 16 soon has it in her mind that she wants a square body late 80's Ford or Chevy, so I have been looking for one.

If I had to guess just from looking at yours from these pics 3-5k.

Good luck.

cactusjack

I did a quick check and found tons for sale on ebay and craigslist. You might have to look nationally.

I saw some for 2K and some fixed up nice for 20K. As to the value of yours, I have no idea.

My daughter who will be 16 soon has it in her mind that she wants a square body late 80's Ford or Chevy, so I have been looking for one.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't check nationally when I looked at Ebay and Craigslist. Wanted to keep it somewhat local for regional pricing info, but I guess that doesn't really come into play when dealing with older vehicles like this one.

As far as a 16 year old in one of these type trucks, I'd be hesitant to put my daughter in one unless it was completely restored. They just don't have the safety of newer vehicles. No air bags, crash bars, disk brakes or any other common safety devices. Not telling you what to do, just something to consider.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't check nationally when I looked at Ebay and Craigslist. Wanted to keep it somewhat local for regional pricing info, but I guess that doesn't really come into play when dealing with older vehicles like this one.

As far as a 16 year old in one of these type trucks, I'd be hesitant to put my daughter in one unless it was completely restored. They just don't have the safety of newer vehicles. No air bags, crash bars, disk brakes or any other common safety devices. Not telling you what to do, just something to consider.

Yep! I don't think her mother will ever let it happen. Good luck selling!

bilgerat

Senior
the short bed 2 wheel drives are the mot desirable square body GM to the market, being a long bed and 4x4 will hurt its value but theres still some value to it.

Redbow

Hmmm, not sure what I would ask for mine if I wanted to sell it. I have an '86 Silverado 2 wheel drive long bed. These trucks are still in demand by a few folks out there but I see less and less of them so yours might bring a good price. If you want to list it start a bit high with the price you can always come down of course. You will no doubt have some people that will want your truck for a little of nothing but there are some that will give you a fair price for it. That fair price of course is your decision to make. My old truck is in pretty good shape I wouldn't consider anything under 4k if I wanted to sell it. Good luck..

Artfuldodger

Good luck.
I would agree with 3-5k. I seem to always price my vehicles too low. I use the high end of KBB and they sell too soon. That being said, I'd probably list the OP's truck at $5,500.00 as a starting price.

cactusjack

Thanks for input fellas. I don't have to sell her, but would consider it depending on the value. Right now it's just taking up space and as is obvious by the pictures has became a storage place for the kids to put their bikes and stuff on. Trying to get emotional value out of the way and realize that more than likely I just won't have the opportunity to restore this truck. Going to do some research into this.

Thanks again.

WishboneW

List it on the web site Bring a Trailer.

Buyers from up north will pay a premium for your truck. You might be surprised

Join the gmsquarebody forum and ask some questions and gain some knowledge

Hillbilly stalker

Does it have the 700R4 transmission ? That truck is made to work...plenty of guts. They tend to love the fuel if its the 350 Trans. 3/4 ton 4x4 most likely will anyway. They are made to work, not run up and down the highway tho. That's my favorite body style. (y)

cactusjack

List it on the web site Bring a Trailer.

Buyers from up north will pay a premium for your truck. You might be surprised

Join the gmsquarebody forum and ask some questions and gain some knowledge

Thanks for the website info. Never heard of being a trailer and never thought ask on square body forum.

cactusjack

Does it have the 700R4 transmission ? That truck is made to work...plenty of guts. They tend to love the fuel if its the 350 Trans. 3/4 ton 4x4 most likely will anyway. They are made to work, not run up and down the highway tho. That's my favorite body style. (y)

Yes it's the 350 trans. Only has a 3 speed. Anything above 45-50 mph and it feels wound up tight. If my memory serves me correct she probably gets 9-10 mpg.

WishboneW

Yes it's the 350 trans. Only has a 3 speed. Anything above 45-50 mph and it feels wound up tight. If my memory serves me correct she probably gets 9-10 mpg.

Gear ratio in in the differential is likely 4:10. That is why the higher rpm at slower speeds. My 84 short bed 4x4 has 3:08 gears and runs great @70 mph plus but still only gets 10 mpg driving the secondary roads in west central ga at speed limits. I have a stock 350 cid motor with the same th350 transmission

Bet your truck could pull me backwards down the street because of the gearing