Hunting with Pop

slow motion

My Dad passed in 2008. Sometime in High School I started calling him Pop. I guess I thought it sounded cool. It became our thing as nobody else called him that except for one time and ex-brother-in-law asked how's it going Pop? It didn't go over very well. Currently cleaning out and repairing his old house getting it ready to sell. Came across a few things of his.
IMG_20211022_142623_918.jpg

He would read this copy of Between the Hedges regularly and quote parts of it often. That's where I got my love of UGA football. Once when he had taken us boys on a hunting trip in Oglethorpe County he and I were sitting in his truck listening to the Georgia Florida game. Both my brothers had already gone to the woods for the evening. Some of you younger fellows may not remember the famous Lindsey Scott call by Larry Munsen. I will always remember when Munsen broke his chair and went silent. You knew Georgia had scored but he didn't say it. All you could hear was the fans going wild. It was only a few seconds but it seemed like forever. My dad was staring at the radio in his truck and screaming my God man what happened? First time he took us deer hunting I was about 8. He took a ladder and leaned it up onto a giant white oak on the back side of my grandfather's place. We were all sitting on limbs. My older brother being the only one with a gun. My younger brother realized if he banged his foot against the tree it made a booming sound as the tree was hollow. Of course I had to try a time or two as well. Needless to say we didn't see any deer that day. Weren't many deer around back then anyway. I remember when my Dad killed his first deer. We were hunting in butts County. And as he told the story,"I had taken the boys set them up in the woods and was headed back to the truck to get something to eat. I walked out onto the power line and there stood this buck. We looked at each other for a while and I thought well I may as well shoot him. So I did.Years later I took my two boys down to telfair County just out of Lumber City. We were hunting very flat ground and I found a hump that we could stand on and get better visibility. Turned out it was dirt piled on top of an old 55 gallon drum and if you stomped your foot it would make a booming sound. You guessed it my boys figured that out and you know what they say about karma. It took me sometime before I saw the humor in the situation. Pop drove a truck most of his life and he really loved his coffee and he liked it strong. I can't drink it the way he made it. I have to add some cream. Anyway filled my dad's thermos with coffee and brought it with me this morning. Think I'll try to do that more often. You might be gone Pop but you will never be forgotten. Your spirit and the stories of your life will live on through my family. Just thought I'd share a little of the story of a good man. Thanks for reading.

IMG_20211023_085414_055.jpg

Wifeshusband

Thank you for sharing; yes, amazing how some little things our fathers had that still comfort us. I have two of those old Stanley thermos. Don't get rid of it. The ones you see today in Walmart are Chinese knock-offs of the ones that were made in American (now no longer made in America).

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing. My dad passed when I was 5, about a week before my 6th birthday & his 40th birthday. I was born on his birthday.
I cherish the few memories I have.

theoldguy

Great share. As a father, I would hope that my kids have a few memories like that to share when I'm gone. I think it's the best way to honor a life well lived.

slow motion

Thanks for the kind words folks. He would have said no need to make a fuss over me. Still I think he would have gotten a kick out of being on the web. Your world wide Pop.
Thanks for sharing. My dad passed when I was 5, about a week before my 6th birthday & his 40th birthday. I was born on his birthday.
I cherish the few memories I have.
I can't imagine how tough that must have been and still be. I know when my Dad lost his Mom and he was only a few years old it was tough for him. His brother was still born and she died shortly after. For a lot of years it was only him and my Grandfather. His sister was born when he was 12. Said he was a very lonely child. Swore his children would not feel that so there were 6 of us.