Hurt Deer

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Just now in the backyard. One the little bucks(about a 6pt) another little buck and a doe at feeder.
Well as leaving the 6 is limping bad. Left front shoulder. The doe got on that side of him and held him up as the walked across the field. She was literally helping him.
Guess I’ll put a camera there and see if I can see a wound on him.

Bowyer29

Yes I've watched them and definitely know they love each other. Last year I had a big doe with a fawn and a small doe with her fawn. The big doe would still lick what I'm sure was her daughter from the year before. Sometimes all 3 would be licking at the same time.
I killed a small buck last weekend, traveling with a doe and her twin fawns. He ran off and died, and she would not leave him. even after I got down and walked to him, she stood her ground and blew like crazy.
She was upset.

Josh B

It's just like how your dogs bond and I could tell that my dog was sad when my other dog died. It's not going to stop me from hunting but I learned a lot when I started watching deer instead of shooting the first one that stepped out.

Wifeshusband

I don't believe we really understand the sympathy and concern animals have for one another--and not in just the same species. I read an article the other day on the intelligence of Crows, which is quite amazing. In one instance, a crow was nudging a hedgehog from behind across a busy road, apparently, according to witnesses, in an effort to prevent him from being run over.

Josh B

I don't believe we really understand the sympathy and concern animals have for one another--and not in just the same species. I read an article the other day on the intelligence of Crows, which is quite amazing. In one instance, a crow was nudging a hedgehog from behind across a busy road, apparently, according to witnesses, in an effort to prevent him from being run over.
I think the crow was pushing him out trying to get a easy meal?

rosewood

Sure he wasn't nudging him into the road....

Taco4x4

That would make more sense because I see crows eating road kill all the time. Crows know cars are like big can openers. :)

rosewood

Supposed he wasn't fat enough and the crow wanted to "let him walk" till next year...

Wifeshusband

No, the hedgehog was already in the road, dawdling, so the crow was giving him the ol' NASCAR push across the finish line, otherwise, if he wanted road kill I think he would have waited for the cars to kill him because he was barely moving. There were other examples of them helping other creatures. They are amazing. I watched one in a parking lot one day open a wadded up McDonald's bag. Took him a while. When he finished, he managed to extract some french fries.

rosewood

No, the hedgehog was already in the road, dawdling, so the crow was giving him the ol' NASCAR push across the finish line, otherwise, if he wanted road kill I think he would have waited for the cars to kill him because he was barely moving. There were other examples of them helping other creatures. They are amazing. I watched one in a parking lot one day open a wadded up McDonald's bag. Took him a while. When he finished, he managed to extract some french fries.
I want to see that video.

fishman1957

I shot a yearling doe a few years ago that was dragging rear leg she was last in line of 6 does I could see she was shot so I finished her got down walked to her all of a sudden momma was there thought I was going to have to shoot her too . Came within a few feet blowing and snorting she finally left but only about 20 yds as I loaded up