I Can' Believe I Missed That Deer!

Put this one in the "lessons learned" category. I had been bowhunting since 1986 and had always shot one pin sighted in at 20 yards and adjusted my aiming point according to the distance to my target. In 2001, I purchased a new bow that was preset with 3 pins. I sighted them at 10, 20, and 30 yards. That season, I got a 10 yard shot at a huge doe (at least 125 lbs). I used my top pin, but instinct took over and I aimed 4 inches below the bottom of the deer. Surprise, surprise, my arrow passed 4 inches under the deer. The next season, I was hunting a small tract in Gwinnett County. It was the first week in November and the rut was beginning to heat up. Two weeks earlier, I had taken an 8-pt that is still my best with a bow. Right at dark that night, 6 does trotted by. One stopped at 30 yards and looked back. I passed a shot at her, then I heard a deep grunt. Mr Big stepped out right where the doe had been standing. It was too dark to count points, so I drew and aimed with my bottom pin. Unfortunately, instinct took over again, and I aimed at the top of his back and cut a groove just above his spine. Both of these shots would have been dead on target had I been aiming with my 20 yard pin. The very next day after missing Mr. Big, I took all but the middle pin off of my bow. I will never again have more than one pin on any hunting bow.

Aint asking.....but 40 feet...? Yep, don't think I've heard of anybody going that high to kill deer....

all I can say, make sure you tie the bottom half of your climber to your seat...that is a long shimmy to get down...

I love to hunt high. I tie the two pieces of my climber together with two pieces of parachute cord and use a full body harness from the time I leave the ground until I touch down again.

I have found that the higher I get, the fewer deer smell me or spot me, and I can hunt the same areas more often without having to wait on the perfect wind direction.

Jasper

Can't do it man. It's still to painful to discuss. :cry::yawn:

Aw, come on man! It'll be good therapy and give us something to talk about. ;)

One day I may even miss and be able to contribute to this thread...........:rofl:

P

potsticker

Ill tell this one and shut up! Back in the mid 70s i drew (along with several family members) a eather sex tag for Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge. That saturday it must have been around 15 degrees when i climbed a big old pine with my Baker(death trap) stand. At sunup the coldest time of day ,a guy walked up in front of me and sat down on a log. I wistled, dropped coffee thermos, sang hyms and this guy would no go away. H stood and started doing side strattle hops. He finally eased out in front of me and dissapeared. Shortly i hear noise and was sure it was him and out pops a nice 10 pointer, it stops and i shoot, the buck turns and flags out of their. I started to think my scope was off when a doe came up behind me at about 50yds. I aim and shoots her and she runs off! I get down and go to where she was standing and i find blood. anout 50 yds away i find her. I dress her out and pull her to my stand and head back to the truck. While walking back i crossed where the buck had stood. Blood! I follow the blood about 100 yds and their is a fresh gut pile, no deer. I still think what kind of low life would steal another mans deer!

He Who Hunts

Last year, day after Thanksgiving in Harris County about 15 minutes before dark ... been hearing and watching armidillos messing around behind me all afternoon so when I saw a doe come out it was a surprise. Thinking the rut was over, I decided to take her, but she was on my wrong side. As I slowly turned around in my climber I heard a grunt and here come a wall of antlers at 20 yards. (I don't know how big he was, but I have a 130 inch 10 pointer on the wall and he looks small compared to this deer.) Anyway, I look back at the doe and she had busted me, but she didn't run at first. The buck had stopped behind a huge oak tree waiting on the doe to move again. All I could see was his nose and the tips of the antlers. Finally, she had had enough and bolted and he bolted right behind her, running directly under my stand. I freaked out and missed twice. Like they say, C'est La Vie, but I still kick myself for not waiting until they crossed in front of me so I wouldn't have had to turn in the climber.

Hunter922

SEE..This is like a big group therapy session.....
Continue..........

jaybirdius

Here's one for you, 2 years ago the buck of a lifetime pops out on the driveway of the man's property I was hunting, no shooting where his wife may see. I watched this buck for several minutes feed along the driveway, he finally step into the woods, after a few more minutes , he steps into a clearing, I've got him in my crosshairs, starting to squeeze the trigger and BOOM, my son picked that instant to gut shoot a doe about 75 yards behind me, I swear it sounded like he was under me shooting up at me, needless to say I jumped and the buck trotted off never to be seen again, I hunted that stand every day I could all day long and never saw him again. We did retrieve the doe, she tasted good, but, doesn't have the spot on the wall that buck might have had!

DCHunter

Last year I took my first shot at a deer with a bow. It was about 20...maybe 25 yards. When I took the shot I heard a distinct crack. When I heard that sound and "knew" I got a good shot I was really excited, thinking the sound was from hitting ribs. 30 minutes later I got down and looked for my arrow and found no blood on it. After investigating I saw that there was a 1/2 inch dead twig hanging down right in the path my arrow took that must have been the cracking sound I heard. That's about the most disappointed I've ever been in my life.:cry: