I may have asked this before but how does one mistakenly shoot a button buck for a doe

j_seph

I have heard members in an older club get all frustrated that they shot a button buck because they thought it was a doe. I believe the key word here is "Thought" to me meaning that they never actually confirmed their target to be a doe to start with. Seems if they were worried about shooting a buttonhead they would be 100% that it wasn't before shooting. I have shot two buttons since I have been hunting. It was not a mistake as one was with a bow and the other with a rifle. I just knew there was no horns and they were legal so I shot. Since those times I refrain from doing that. I mean am I the only one that can look at a deer in a scope and beyond a shadow of a doubt say that is a yearling?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ever hunt with open sights? Whole lot of people do. I've shot a whole lot more deer without a scope than I have with a scope over the years, including a couple button bucks that I thought were small does. Didn't really matter to me at the time, as they're delicious.

j_seph

Ever hunt with open sights? I've shot a whole lot more deer without a scope than I have with a scope over the years.
In that case then you would say it did not have horns so I shot it. Not beat yourself up cause you thought it was a doe.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In that case then you would say it did not have horns so I shot it. Not beat yourself up cause you thought it was a doe.
Yep, pretty much. I don't go around targeting button bucks, but I don't see it as a horrible thing if somebody kills one. A lot better to me than shooting a doe in many places.

ryanh487

If you can look at a deers head at 100 yards at first or last light and tell me if it's a button or not, when you don't care how small a doe you shoot is, your eyes are better than mine. Or tell out past 50 yards while hunting with open sites.

Some of them buttons are nothing more than a swirl of hair on their head, too, and you wouldn't even think they were a button until you lift a leg and see they have different parts than expected.

If you don't want to kill buttons, don't kill little deer. But if you're not hesitant to kill a young deer, the odds of killing a button by accident are fairly high.

Lilly001

Yep. I shoot buttons so
Yep.
I sometimes shoot buttons on purpose.
Other times I shoot them just because they don’t have antlers.
Other times I’ve shot them because they are deer.
It all depends on the situation.:cheers:

BeerThirty

I cannot tell the difference between a button buck and a doe many of times. Some of my shots are 150+ yards, and other times they are through thick cover in low light conditions at dawn or dusk. Many times deer are moving and you have a brief window to make a clean shot and so you have to think fast to draw a conclusion. It's easy to make this mistake. Where I hunt if the horns are less than 3-inches you can use your doe tag on them anyway..

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
At any distance other than close up, the way my eyes are now, it`s hard for me to tell the difference between a button buck and his sister, but it`s not hard to tell the difference between them and a mature doe. Even if she is not with them. Yearlings are built different from mature deer.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Several years ago I killed a button buck by mistake. Low light, long shot, biggest of 2 deer in the food plot. I assumed I was killing a doe. It happens.

j_seph

How to Distinguish Adult White-Tailed Deer From Fawns*
Fawns

Short, square bodies (look like a briefcase from a distance)
Short necks and less muscle development
Rarely have swaying backs or sagging bellies
Ears appear large in comparison to head

Adults

Larger, rectangular-shaped bodies (look like a suitcase from a distance)
Long necks

How to Identify Buck Fawns*

Presence of developing antlers
Head appears more flat and less rounded between ears

How to Identify Doe Fawns*

No developing antlers
Head appears slightly rounded between ears

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Twice in my life...

Once back in about 2005 (after telling...ok bragging.. bubba and may that it had never happened the night before over cold adult beverages at camp :bouce:) . I shot a doe in some high grass. When I walked up on her she jumped up out of the grass and I shouldered and shot again...yep now I had momma and button laying in the grass. Next day we had button straps on the grill!

2nd time was last december with my bow in MO. I had made up my mind to shoot a doe and 2 came through the woodlot at 20 yards right at dark and I shot the 2nd one. If I would have waited until they got in the field I probably would have looked closer, but I rushed the shot because the beans were gone on the edge of the field and all the deer were moving out around 50 or 75 out so I knew they were headed that way. Walked up and yep it was a button. He was the deer I shot on LFTT that had rotten hams but no visible injury and I didnt get to enjoy the buttonstraps

Jim Boyd

J Seph said it perfectly.

Also, all fawns present a “square” box when viewed from legs to back to other legs.

Yearling deer (generally 1.5 yo during season) - the bodies have begun to lengthen and they present more of a rectangle.

If you just wait and look at them when there are 4-5 in view, the difference is plain.

Problems arise when you are looking at one deer - in most cases.

Another thing to remember - it is pretty unusual to see female fawns by themselves.

A single fawn, by itself, is almost always male.

Best of luck.