I only made it through Calcus 3, I need help with my 2nd graders math

PappyHoel

Draw 3 rows with 2 counters in each row. Write a word problem that can be acted out using these counters.

What in the world common core math.

T-N-T

Prayers for the children.

Really.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Draw 3 rows with 2 counters in each row. Write a word problem that can be acted out using these counters.

What in the world common core math.

Do which?:huh:

PappyHoel

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Funniest thing about this common core math, is that some prius driver somewhere convinced the academic community that this bunghole of a garbage pile plan, is the best way to teach math to children. I can't help my little boy with his 2+2, and I too am very strong in mathematics and common sense. We may be ditching PS over this pretty soon.

naildrvr

Yep. First time my daughter said daddy will you help me with my math homework, I said sure. She was learning division and was having trouble, so I took the pencil and proceeded to work the problem and she says what are you doing? Division. That's not how my teacher showed us how to do it. Well, I don't care how you get the answer as long as it's correct. That ended my helping with math homework.

jbird1

Don't get me started. My 8 yr. old was struggling with his times tables so I jumped in to help. He starts telling me about "X number of groups" of this and that. I just shook my head. I said, "hey little buddy, want me to show you a trick? Just memorize them...it's a lot faster." Now, instead of falling behind, he has jumped out in front of the class. I learned a while ago that the parents are going to have to circumvent these idiots.

beginnersluck

I teach public school, but luckily I'm a PE teacher. I'm a believer in the firm old fashion way of..."do it this one and only way". I think it's easier to teach 100 kids one way to do something than it is to teach 5 kids 20 different ways. Does a kid need to know why 3+5=8 or just that those two numbers add up to 8?

jbird1

I teach public school, but luckily I'm a PE teacher. I'm a believer in the firm old fashion way of..."do it this one and only way". I think it's easier to teach 100 kids one way to do something than it is to teach 5 kids 20 different ways. Does a kid need to know why 3+5=8 or just that those two numbers add up to 8?

Pardon the confusion if there was any...by "idiots," I was referring to the powers that be in the Dept. of ED. Most of the teachers I speak with think the new teaching methods are bunk, but that is the directive from the top.

PappyHoel

Don't get me started. My 8 yr. old was struggling with his times tables so I jumped in to help. He starts telling me about "X number of groups" of this and that. I just shook my head. I said, "hey little buddy, want me to show you a trick? Just memorize them...it's a lot faster." Now, instead of falling behind, he has jumped out in front of the class. I learned a while ago that the parents are going to have to circumvent these idiots.

Yep that's what I told my 7 yr old.

T-N-T

Remember when that math teacher said "You won't always have a calculator with you....."

Well she was wrong!
Every phone in America has a calculator on it now. And if I don't have a phone in my pocket, I'm not doing math anyways right then

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
Pardon the confusion if there was any...by "idiots," I was referring to the powers that be in the Dept. of ED. Most of the teachers I speak with think the new teaching methods are bunk, but that is the directive from the top.

Power to be in Dept of Ed=clueless.... and i am an educator

redeli

"Useless Billy Coach"
Remember when that math teacher said "You won't always have a calculator with you....."

Well she was wrong!
Every phone in America has a calculator on it now. And if I don't have a phone in my pocket, I'm not doing math anyways right then

thats what i tell our math teachers....

rjcruiser

x x
x x
x x

or 2*3...but definitely not 3*2

The classroom has 3 rows of students with 2 students in each row, how many students are in the classroom?

specialk

pie r square

T-N-T

x x
x x
x x

or 2*3...but definitely not 3*2

The classroom has 3 rows of students with 2 students in each row, how many students are in the classroom?
You get out of here with that nonsense.

:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Oldstick

Well I am going to present an opposing point of view to some of the above posts concerning the state of our public education. I graduated in 1975, got a Physics degree in college and worked as an engineer for close to 35 years.

Last year I worked some as a substitute teacher in the Houston County school system. From my observations in the math and science classes I sat in, the level of the curriculum was far beyond anything I had experienced at the same age in high school in the 1970s.

So my kudos go out to the teachers of today, given the huge changes in society.