i shot the decoy bear at cohutta

Dupree

thats funny. lol

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
DNR called while i was sitting in a tree at piedmont nwr friday. the officer said they were going to pull the warning tickets from my record. he said several people had read about it on here and had called DNR. thanks to everyone, hunt safe, wear lots of orange and do not shoot any decoy bear, deer or pigs ..................

I got to say that I am impressed with the DNR for giving true justice, even if it was pressured by folks on here.. You can bet they were PO'd when you scared the bejeezus out of them! They could have stuck to their guns. Admitting you are WRONG, takes a real man, they did it!
YOU are still my hero, but I am very impressed with the DNR too!!
BTW- I totally support the DECOY project!! I saw a TV show once, and it was amazing how many people were pulling over on the side of the road to Kill a Deer........Bust them suckers, BUST EM!!

Steve Thompson

Ha haaaa! Thats funny! Not as funny as the fool that shoot the decoy deer with an arrow. The game wardens started laughing on that one.

olhippie

...Ga Alan, You did no wrong. I'm glad the DNR has corrected this for your record. It is a shame that such would not have been the case if the law enforcement people hadn't gotten caught up in the expanding public knowledge of this incident.
.... So many times we read of missteps by the authorities, later to be corrected for the "Victim" because of the news of the incident getting out . When power and authority is given to an officer over thier fellow Americans, "ALL" of us ought to demand such people are well trained, and of the best character. This GW made a mistake in placing the decoy where it could be legally approached, and compounded it by issuing tickets, where no "real" violation had occured. Thanks to the DNR for correcting his misguided actions.

huntemwfo

I didn't know warning tickets went on your record! I got a warning ticket on the last hunt on Clark Hill wma, after the season was closed everywhere else, a few years ago. I was walking across our lease land that borders Clark Hill wma heading to the wma. I had my gun on my shoulder and all my extra cold weather clothes in my arms. I had made it about 100 yds off the road when they came out on me about 75 yds from the wma border line. After I told them I was heading to the wma and 30 min of harassment you could see they were mad that they couldn't find anything to stick me with. Then one officer ask to see my gun and found it loaded. They told me that a loaded gun meant I was hunting and since I was not on the wma then I was hunting out of season. I told them that I might be hog hunting until I got to the wma. That just ticked them off more and they gave me the ticket. Been hunting all my life with a clean record until now!

ga alan

i did not know it either, i thought warning tickets were for when you almost did something wrong or the GW wanted to let you off easy, the GW told me on the phone that a warning ticket had to have undisputable evidence and mine did not have it, so they pulled them............

FX Jenkins

Thats a pleasant twist to all this... Thanks for being humble enough to share all this with us. I love the cohutta.

TACTICOOL

I thought this was one of the greatest hunting stories I had ever heard until I read that the GWs dropped the warning tickets.

Now I'm 100% sure it's the greatest!:D

Wood Smoke

If you had pictures or video of this you'd be famous! Funny as heck!! :bounce: A big high-five and congratulations ......and also for being a good sport to share this tale with us!!

Sirduke

That is just too funny Alan. Congrats on diss'n the GWs.

I had one try to give me a ticket for harrassing wildlife one time, while I was releasing a possum we'd raised after its mama got killed by a dog.

We bottle fed it till it could eat on its own, then turned it loose in the woods. He saw the open gate, drove down and started interrorgating us. When he couldn't find any illegal he decided to try the "Harrassing wildlife" bit.

Big black dude named BJ something.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
DNR called while i was sitting in a tree at piedmont nwr friday. the officer said they were going to pull the warning tickets from my record. he said several people had read about it on here and had called DNR. thanks to everyone, hunt safe, wear lots of orange and do not shoot any decoy bear, deer or pigs ..................

This HAS to be "thread of the year"!! Can I get an AMEN??

MCBUCK

Was the GW that gabe you the warning a big fella ? About 6'7" and a cool 270 ?
If it was, wait till I see him again.::ke:::ke:

soggysod

thanks for posting, i read the whole thread and i normally drop off after a page or so!
i gotta take both sides here though, sounds like you WERE being safe, shooting into a hill no chance of going towards the road. and the vest CLEARLY safe, ive worn smaller ones that said 500sq inches.
as for the game wardens, aside from their personal safety, cmon how CAN they create a situation where no one could sneak up and take a legal shot on it? it would be HARD to accomplish.
and they probably figured it was a safe placement as anyone making a legal shot would be shooting into a hill as happened in this situation. no big danger in that!
the only clear answer i can see is why doesnt the GW put orange on the bear on the side only to be seen from woods not the road?
great post!! thanks
soggysod

BowanaLee

Thats the coolest hunt I've ever heard of. Great spot and stalk shooting dude !
You are officially my new HERO ! :banana::yeah::cool::yeah::fine::whip:

Latest posts