Ice maker

naildrvr

Looking at getting one for the house. Do any of y'all have one or prefer one brand over another? I'm planning on a small freestanding unit. Any advice is appreciated. The wife prefers one that makes ice like Chic fil a or Sonic, but that doesn't much matter to me as I'll be using it for my work ice chest mainly.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Looking at getting one for the house. Do any of y'all have one or prefer one brand over another? I'm planning on a small freestanding unit. Any advice is appreciated. The wife prefers one that makes ice like Chic fil a or Sonic, but that doesn't much matter to me as I'll be using it for my work ice chest mainly.
My Mrs is an ice snob, I bought this counter top unit. Feeds her addiction without breaking the bank. I fill up a small cooler for fishing with it. Its well reviewed and worked well for us.

Dirtroad Johnson

Manitowoc was highly recommended to us when we were shopping around for ice machines, we've had one for several years now at the camp house & use it every day. I'll check later on today for the model #. We really enjoy ours. Wife said best she remembers ours was in the $3500 range.

DannyW

A good friend has a $200 countertop model, and I can offer this advice. Buy one that either has the ability to keep the ice cold or recirculates the melted ice and refreezes it. Otherwise, you will have a mess on your hands after a few hours.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Manitowoc was highly recommended to us when we were shopping around for ice machines, we've had one for several years now at the camp house & use it every day. I'll check later on today for the model #. We really enjoy ours. Wife said best she remembers ours was in the $3500 range.
I have had two Manitowocs. First I bought used and it was 10 years old when I bought it. Ran for another 10 years until the plating wore off the freeze plate. The compressor was still making Ice. Just wouldn't dump the ice. Might have spent $300 on it.

Bought a new one to fit the ice bin 10 years ago, which are pretty expensive, 300# per day rated. I have not turned it off in those 10 years.

One tip, place it where it gets plenty of ventilation. They work better in an open environment. Blow the coils out on a regular basis.

Look around and you might find a used bin. I think they are running $1500.

When my first one quit I tried to get along with out it
but soon realized how much I and my neighbors used it.

By the way I bought the first one on a chance at an auction for $200 Bin and machine and all. I new the bin alone was worth that.

Deerhead

I have purchased at lease 3 ice makes in the past 40 years. The first was a Scotsman the other two have been Manitowocs. Each one lasted 10 years. I will say the Manitowocs have required less maintenance. These have been used in a commercial kitchen.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A good friend has a $200 countertop model, and I can offer this advice. Buy one that either has the ability to keep the ice cold or recirculates the melted ice and refreezes it. Otherwise, you will have a mess on your hands after a few hours.
Mine works by recirculating if you’re not using the ice at rate to empty it regularly. Maintenance is descaling it every few months. It has hoses built in to ease this task. My wife uses this thing everyday, so don’t mind the $500.