Crossbow limbs breaking.

feathersnantlers

I've been reading a lot on Facebook with the different Xbow brands trying to get a feel for a good entry level xbow. Seems like a lot of these 400+ FPS xbows limbs are breaking. The good thing is most mfrs are replacing the limbs. I read a lot of the more experienced shooters recommend heavier bolts and broadheads. Plus, lubing the strings and rails really good. I also read really there is only one OEM maker for the carbon limbs so really all the brands can have limb breakage.

Is there anything else you can do to prevent limb breakage?

I've learned from reading all the xbow threads on here is to visit www.crossbownation.com/forum and read up on there.

There so much to it. Such as the trigger and sanding it. To crank or not to crank, de-cock or just shoot your bolt into a bag target after the hunt is done, buy a better scope such as Garmin, etc. Its crazy but I am willing to jump in this offseason and look for good buys especially after the season closes.

I'll be shooting out of a Cruzr XC saddle(Skeletor sticks). Any other advice is appreciated.

Best crossbows seem to be ravin or tenpoint… I have a garmin zero crossbow scope on a tenpoint havoc 440.. nice setup. My bolt weighs 440 it shoots this a 422fps. Nice setup. My buddy has the Excalibur assassin 420 take down his is nice also. Much louder than my tenpoint.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
There is a plethora of options. My limbs started fraying and it took a few months for replacement which was when I started shooting a bow. I’m so glad that happened! As far as options you can a ready to hunt crossbow for $250, or you can swipe for an ez $3k. Reverse limbs make it so much more compact and if I bought another one, it’d be one like that.

FWIW- I’m also hunting out of a saddle, but would never consider using the crossbow. I know folks do it, but not me. I hated carrying it to a leaner stand, let alone climbing a tree with it.…..I’m 1 sticking and climb with my bow on my pack. If you do you better make sure your Limbs don’t touch the tree!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
My Wicked Ridge shoots 330 fps, had it snce 2015, blows completely through deer and bear out to 40 yds, my max range, really like them closer though.

Just practice with your set up, good luck

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I was where you are before season. I bought a used Excalibur, it‘s over 300 fps. I couldn’t be happier with how simple the straight recurve design is. No cams, crank to cock/uncock, much less to go wrong for a beginner. I didn’t get a shot on a deer this season but it’s extremely accurate.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was where you are before season. I bought a used Excalibur, it‘s over 300 fps. I couldn’t be happier with how simple the straight recurve design is. No cams, crank to cock/uncock, much less to go wrong for a beginner. I didn’t get a shot on a deer this season but it’s extremely accurate.
If I bought one that wasn’t reverse limbs, it’s be a recurve style like what you got. I think even that twin strike is recurve. Again, lots of good options out there for crossbows.
Heck, mine is pretty bad to the bone out to 40. I shot at a deer at 60 yards years ago……it was my first attempt. I watched the bolt fly true through the scope and It was dead on accurate. BUT, she did a Matrix type move and ducked the bolt. It was a clean miss, but it was amazing to watch and I’ll never forget it.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve had 2 , a tenpoint and a centerpoint. Both built by the same company is my understanding . Replaced limbs on both , and the centerpoint is splintered again . I put some tape on it this time and it still shoots the same . I may just build me a bow out of a stick
Actually I think it was ravin and centerpoint built by the same company

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Mine didn’t completely break, and they did replace no questions asked . Didn’t seem to lose any power either, and still shot fine IMG_4064.jpeg