Ideas on hunting spots

Savannah750

Just got some new hunting land....The red on the map is the borders and the blue is long rows (25 feet wide) we have planted. The east side is bordered by Ft. Stewart and the farm land to the south and west has alot of corn fields. Any ideas on stand sites?

vbhtml]

bull0ne

Banned
I would go scout along the west side of the property where the branch crosses the landline. It appears that a pond is draining onto the other property and with the drought you should see a major trail where the deer are going to get water. If there's a hole in the fence it would be a no-brainer then........

Another spot that looks good is the strand of woods that comes off Ft. Stewart from the east. You have an inside corner situation,a travel corridor and three terrain types coming together all at once. There's bound to be some old buck sign to give away the preferred travel routes in that area.

Huntin 4 More

Hunt the edges

As always, hunt the edges where different types of terrain or habitat butt up to each other.

Are those circular areas swamps or cypress heads? If so, they might be bedding areas and worth finding the trails leading in/out of them.

Swamprat

Swamprat
The areas with the yellow dots is where I would start. Take advantage of natural funnels and choke points.

Attachments

• hunt.jpg
    hunt.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 273

GobbleAndGrunt78

I agree, that SE corner funnel looks tempting. How'd you land rights to hunt this property Mike?

Savannah750

Some guys from Fla. lost the rights this year and a good friend of mine knows the man who lives just on the west edge of the property. Myself, my dad, Esteban and another good friend joined up with them and 3 others to pay the lease.

kevincox

If you bowhunt in the early season I would key on any trails going to the agriculture. It took me 2 years of hunting a piece of property before I located a persimmon grove. Foot travel will still be very,very important

bull0ne

Banned
If you bowhunt in the early season I would key on any trails going to the agriculture. It took me 2 years of hunting a piece of property before I located a persimmon grove. Foot travel will still be very,very important

Agreed.............nothing will ever replace busting the bushes and place your eyes on the freshest sign and last year's buck sign when scouting a new property.

In this case I would run grid lines with a compass and plot the old rublines with a GPS if possible. By plotting their old rubs you will see travel corridors appear.................the pieces of the puzzle are out there. Ya just gotta put it all together.................

displacedhntr

Agreed.............nothing will ever replace busting the bushes and place your eyes on the freshest sign and last year's buck sign when scouting a new property.

In this case I would run grid lines with a compass and plot the old rublines with a GPS if possible. By plotting their old rubs you will see travel corridors appear.................the pieces of the puzzle are out there. Ya just gotta put it all together.................

Even the cheap gps units can map out an area for you. This has been the best scouting tool I have ever used. When done correctly it can tell you exactly how the deer are using the property and trail cams or stand time will tell you when and where to be. Either way good luck.