If you could plant 2 different crops for deer ...

Mackie889

what 2 would you choose? I currently have 3 ag fields that a farmer leases to plant (normally cotton and sometimes peanuts) each year. Last year, someone on this site suggested planting corn in a portion of each field. I offered the farmer a discount this year to plant a half acre of corn to leave standing for the deer in each of the 3 fields. I’m thinking of having him do the same next year, but also planting something else between the corn and wood line. I was thinking maybe soybeans? I figured the corn would be a great colder weather draw, what else would you have the farmer plant? Thanks for any suggestions!

sghoghunter

I’ve always wanted to try something like corn and either forage soybeans or peas. Either plant it every other row or mix it together and plant however it falls

doomtrpr_z71

You need to stay away from eagle forage beans if he's planting cotton and have him plant the equivalent herbicide technology soybean if you went that route. If he plants peanuts I would prefer enlist soybeans due to the use of 24db. Corn would definitely be the easiest since it can tolerate either herbicide technology. Eagle forage beans are way overpriced nowadays that Roundup ready soybeans are off patent.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not much ag in my area of the state and I plant a few acres of sorghum every year and they absolutely love it . Plus it’s so easy to grow it makes me feel like a farmer if I get a little rain

mattb78

If you could plant 3-5 acres then I would do soybeans and leave a little corn standing just like you did.

If only 1.5 acres as you mentioned I would likely just leave it in corn.

Grains/Clover are good forages but those are likely readily available in nearby food plots. Not many hunters plant corn because we don't have access to a corn planter. By offering standing corn you are providing a unique and highly desirable food.