I'll break the ice

yes

There is. Just because YOU have not seen one does not mean they are not real. :banana:

Attachments

• blackpanther.jpeg
    blackpanther.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 203

Dough

I related in an earlier thread, In burke County, about 8 years ago, several people reported a "black panther" near Sardis, mostly coon hunters, and seeing something on the road.
well, later, (before I heard the stories) a friend who is a aerospace engineer and I were hunting, and he reported seeing "a large black creature with a long tubular tail" definately "feline". I asked him "Did you see a panther" He said it was definately a cat.
So, I called NWR in Savannah and asked them, they said YES, there are a few cats along the river, and they are protected by Federal Law, and consider yourself lucky that you saw one, etc...

On a related note, a friend had a similiar experience with a different species, He was flying on Fort Stewart, and saw a large black animal. He asked me and I suggested he cll NWR or DNR. He asked about bears in GA and was told there are a couple on Fort Stewart (MY FRIEND NEVER MENTIONED WHERE HE SAW THE BEAR).

Also, I recommend going to the library (the big building with all the books - it's free) and see if you can find a book called "Swamp Screamers" it details the efforts of saving the Florida Panthers (tan, not black) and mentions that panthers were introduced from the west (mountain lions) for study and some migrated into GA and mentions Fort Stewart. The released cats were sterilized because the intent was to study migration, not introduce new blood into the population. ne of the pitfalls of so few animals is in breeding.

Years ago, my Uncle had a cabin in Dixie County, FL and we could sometimes hear the "Cats" screaming at night.
I also heard one once in JAX, near Fort Caroline, before it was all developed.

I swear it sounds like a baby crying or a woman being tortured, not sure if it;s the differnet sexes or different calls, or what.

garndawg

I've seen three in my life...

..but not in Georgia.

First two in Arkansas. In the Ozarks in the mid-70's, up close and personal, as he/she/it was eyeing our Shetland pony for a meal. 30 yards is way too close. That one used to leave dog-sized tracks on dad's car, having left them during the night.

Second one in the early 80's, a deer stand in SW Arkansas. We still call that stand the "Panther Stand" as both me and my uncle saw it off there.

Third was in Mississippi, outside of Starkville in the early 90's. Running across a county road in broad daylight.

Definitely black. Almost specter-looking. You doubt you saw anything as they look so surreal.

BassWorm

Sorry. Just like most folks call antlers horns, if I see a big black cat I'm going to call it a black panther whatever the scientific name may be. :pop:

NotaVegetarian

I know a guy that said he has one big kitty on his land. He asked if I knew of any ways to get it in camera range. I told him of a sure fire plan.

1. Find the likely area the cat maybe in.
2. Mount you camera where it has good field of view.
3. Now you bait (don’t get mad) this area really well.

You will get a picture or two if it is there.

He then asked what does he need to use for bait to attract a big cat.

I told him it simple use some cat nip as an attractant, a large pile of cat food in one pile and about 10 yards over a large pile of kitty litter. I did remind him to be sure both bait piles are in view of the camera. That way he would catch it coming or going!!!! :rofl:

This is a true story, honest..

Mrbowdeadly

I expect we don't know for sure. I mean they have caught fish thought to be extinct for years. If two cats got out there hollerin like that and they were black "leopards", I imagine they would find each other and let nature take course. This is not a topic like "yeti", or the "wolfman", I mean who is to say a non native species has not been introduced into Georgia?

All I am sayin is the possibility exists. Especially if they don't "want" to be seen.

MBD