I'm a little spooked now.

Clipper

Sitting in one of my lock-ons this morning about 9 and looked down to see this! This was new steel swing chain I had used to replace the rusted cables about 3 weeks ago. It was the last of a length I had used to replace the cables on 2 or 3 other stands I have. I was wearing my safety harness, but a fall would still have not been good.

I got the idea of replacing rusted cables with swing chain off one of the boards on this forum, so I'm pretty sure there are others who have done the same thing. I'm now leaning toward buying replacement cables every 2 or 3 years. I just hate that they rust so quick. I checked the specs from one of the big box stores and #2 swing chain is rated for 255 pound working load. I weigh about 200 in full gear and would have to stand on one side of the stand to put near 200 lbs on one cable. I will surely be tied to the tree before stepping on one of these from now on. IMG_0693.JPG

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Sitting in one of my lock-ons this morning about 9 and looked down to see this! This was new steel swing chain I had used to replace the rusted cables about 3 weeks ago. It was the last of a length I had used to replace the cables on 2 or 3 other stands I have. I was wearing my safety harness, but a fall would still have not been good.

I got the idea of replacing rusted cables with swing chain off one of the boards on this forum, so I'm pretty sure there are others who have done the same thing. I'm now leaning toward buying replacement cables every 2 or 3 years. I just hate that they rust so quick. I checked the specs from one of the big box stores and #2 swing chain is rated for 255 pound working load. I weigh about 200 in full gear and would have to stand on one side of the stand to put near 200 lbs on one cable. I will surely be tied to the tree before stepping on one of these from now on. View attachment 1045381
Those ratings are not really regulated.

I would go with a higher gage chain or back to the cables and just know you have to replace them every 2-3 years. One other question, do you bring your stands inside after the season or do they sit out?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That type chain may not be rated for the stress it’s getting. I suggest use some 1/4 inch welded link chain and grade 5 or higher bolts. The stand would tear before that chain gives

Nimrod71

I have had the same problem with cables. I went to my long machine shop and purchased new stainless steal wire cable and clamps to replace the old cables. Works fine been using these SS cables now for 21 years and they are still good.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
That's chicom dog chain. A Chihuahua could break that.

Heck, that ain't even chain. That's twisted wire.

RipperIII

Glad that you are alright...that mighta made me soil my britches.

I tip my hat to you lock-on guys,...I gave those up a few years back.

Back in August as i was checking a ladderstand, the top ratchet strap broke just as i was reaching to test it...fortunately, after a brief, wild ride, i stabilized the stand and replaced the ratchet strap.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Clipper, that is just scary for sure.

I use two chains to secure my stand to a tree.

I use the exact same one as you have shown for step #1. That chain is secured to my "ladder" and goes completely around the tree with eyebolts. This "swing type" chain goes around the tree and is tightened with the use of a turnbuckle to get it fairly snug before I lock it onto the tree.

For step #2, I use a heavier "oval shaped" link chain that is 1-1/4 " long links, 3/4" wide, and is 3/16" diameter metal stock. This heavier chain is secured to my "leaning ladder" by using the eyebolts as well. This heavier chain also goes around the entire diameter of the tree and is locked into place with another Master Lock as well. Nobody is going to steal it for sure. (I will certainly have lots of trailcam photos even if they attempt it too.)

I make sure to camouflage all of the ladder stands and chains that I use this way.

I can sit very comfortably in my ladder stands that have a certain angle of leaning against the tree that makes it comfortable and I know that it is totally secure also.

I always hunt by myself and the fact is, I am way too old to be hugging a tree trying to set up a "hanging stand" as such and still be scared of falling and getting injured or killed. Yep, they named those hanging stand correctly in my opinion and I will never use one as such.

If younger people want to hunt with those type of climbing stands, that is fine with me BUT like my girlfriend told me a couple of hours ago as I had a late lunch with her, "PLEASE be safe if you go in the woods this weekend because I want to be able to enjoy your company next week too".

I actually like to hunt from my ground blind but other things got in the way and I have not had time to set up this year...yet.

Of course, I haven't been hunting yet either.

Attachments

• MISC & CHAIN PHOTOS   10-23-20 021.JPG
    MISC & CHAIN PHOTOS 10-23-20 021.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Clipper

Thanks for all your thoughts on my stand situation. After reading the posts and thinking about it, I will be changing out my swing chains to something else. Probably buy replacement cables for each stand.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for all your thoughts on my stand situation. After reading the posts and thinking about it, I will be changing out my swing chains to something else. Probably buy replacement cables for each stand.

Smart move. The price will be a fraction of the hospital bill. I don't even wanna talk about what else it could cost you.

Hiccup

Man, glad you are okay and caught it in time. More power to all of you that hunt out of lock-ons. I changed to ladder stands and towers years back mainly because it allows me to hunt with my kids. I had a friend that crushed his pelvis when a strap broke on one (not wearing a safety harness) a few years back. Also, back in the mid-80s, my Dad and I were hunting on Black Beard Island and the wooden platform of his lock-on collapsed and he hit the ground. Luckily, he only hunted about 6 feet off the ground and landed on some soft underbrush. The days before they began making safety harnesses like today. I still remember the look on his face when I got to him . . . priceless!