I'm experiencing a quandary. Question for the masses.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Throw it away. Go trad.

I love shooting my recurves and usually break them out once or twice a week, but have never been comfy enough to carry it in the woods. Altho as long as my target panic isnt hammering me, I love shooting the compound even more. Course when the the target panic gets bad I wanna sling it in the ditch :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Gaswamp

I shoot one pin set at 35 yards. At twenty yards it’s easier to place pin on heart and hold steady. My shot will hit a little high which is still a deadly lung shot. At 35 yards I’m dead on and 42-43 yards if I do my job and hold steady I’ll cut the top of his heart out and if he decides to duck I’ll get his lungs. I limit my shots to 42-43 because that’s where my arrows drops abruptly zeroed at 35. 60lb pull Obsession bow. Target panic sucks!
Also went to a verifier peep this year which makes pin crystal clear again. Tremendous help!

I am almost 53 and my close vision is getting fuzzy with the pin eventhough my distant vision is still good. Seems like that will be the ticket I need to look into

Gaswamp

In October of this year I bite the bullet and purchased a Garmin xo. Pricey but confidence level is at all time high. I highly recommend this!!
those along with the burris model look pretty cool but they are pricey

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I am almost 53 and my close vision is getting fuzzy with the pin eventhough my distant vision is still good. Seems like that will be the ticket I need to look into

I've had a lens kit on the sight housing and it helped with the fuzziness (fuzzy vision, not the fuzzy stuff in my head), but havent looked at a verifier for peep yet.

BowanaLee

I’ve seen posts like this it seems like a hundred times. I can’t figure out why y’all don’t get a sight with both movable and fixed. I’ve used them since they 1st came out. You’ll have an option for every scenario. HHA makes a good 3 pin movable with a rheostat “light” feature. At 20 yds you set your pins just like any other fixed sight. Then pick out the sight tape for the speed of your bow and stick it on your slide. You can use any pin you want for the slide but I use my top or 20 yd pin. Less chance of getting mixed up for me. The pins are different colors too. The only problem I’ve ever had was forgetting to put my slide back on 20 so my fixed pins would be correct. I just check it before every hunt. Problem solved.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I’ve seen posts like this it seems like a hundred times. I can’t figure out why y’all don’t get a sight with both movable and fixed. I’ve used them since they 1st came out. You’ll have an option for every scenario. HHA makes a good 3 pin movable with a rheostat “light” feature. At 20 yds you set your pins just like any other fixed sight. Then pick out the sight tape for the speed of your bow and stick it on your slide. You can use any pin you want for the slide but I use my top or 20 yd pin. Less chance of getting mixed up for me. The pins are different colors too. The only problem I’ve ever had was forgetting to put my slide back on 20 so my fixed pins would be correct. I just check it before every hunt. Problem solved.

Thats route I am going to look into deeper, although the single pin had me covered for 3 decades. Only recently have I had the mental stump going on.

BowanaLee

Thats route I am going to look into deeper, although the single pin had me covered for 3 decades. Only recently have I had the mental stump going on.
Also, if you have blurry pins a verifier will fix you right up. Starting off you'll probably use the purple one ? One thing though. Verifiers and magnifying lenses don't mix well. At least for me.

Attachments

• 839139.jpg
    839139.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 7

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
A little back story. I have bow hunted for more than 30 years. Except for the 1st couple of years I have always shot 1 pin and never moved it. Mainly because I never considered shooting past about 30 yards, even when in the backyard. For the last 5 or 6 years I have stretched that out during practice to 50-60 and 35 in the woods. I have been adjusting my sight as needed as deer are coming in and doing fine with it. Just like every hunt, I range everything around me and then as deer come in that I am considering killing, I adjust if needed. Of course most of the time I can leave it set at about 25 and shoot anything from 30 and under.

Now here's my quandary...and yall dont laugh too hard...PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I AM ALSO POSTING EVERYTHING LIVE AS IT HAPPENS ON THE LFTT THREAD. So yeah I have a lot going on :bounce:!!!

For the last 3 years (aarp member) I catch myself having more confusion as a deer is coming in. Meaning I will see a deer at 50 yards heading to a 30 yard range and catch myself instinctively grabbing the sight wheel and spinning it. Then if the buck gets into 20 or under I grab it again and spin it down even further. Then if the buck gets past me and starts out again I catch myself spinning again. I have never had this issue before and all I can attribute it to is that my mind is not as sharp as it once was. Now even when I have deer inside 30 yards and need no adjustments, my mind keeps going back to the settings. Kinda like leaving the house knowing for a fact that you turned off the coffee pot, but for the life of you you cant get it out of your mind until you go back in and check. I have no doubt this is seriously affecting my shooting in the woods. My lifelong battle with target panic definitely doesnt help. Everything is jumbled up there :crazy::crazy::crazy: even though I am shooting better in the backyard than ever before. For some reason I cant get my mind to focus and slow down. This has never been an issue in the woods before.

So I think I have decided to do something I swore I would never do again. I am considering going back to a fixed pin sight. Maybe a 5 pin. For some reason I think my mind will adjust to it because I take away the option of moving the sight.

Ok now that I have bled out my heart, without spending $300 on a sight (unless you can give me a really really good reason), what FIXED, MULTI pin sight are you using and what are the pros and cons?

Pic is for attention only :biggrin2:

k7gMzRPAuTqr8CA6ztbYgfUa2DqEbfy1GA9uVbeB0OZEsQ6OMygs_Ych7jvwE4LgaGJaKeks6PR1aBi3pWijjF4L3BaSz1hvcMq83P2BpLK-n9bGvv3pw4RANM9RIU3r0GWSKTFTv9muSMe2rJ1jOUiTsKCOubJd15OVI6o9RrZ9QkHUCP4p_KaTJC4znIO_KWCGHEA6L6l4GKuN2erR2s2MacmanH9MTjJdi0u9H0tK2s7OnrNR0RWLor5vki5FCQ_LdnDoomO4ZZSrqr8WMD6gnDu5AS7PMyhHZbYmYIYdFHQvhhFtf-Re1e4rM4EHoAMVmxJM1JYgwc0ErEcTwhDJZTnoiTzYp7MM49qJHfEb1iTynzfA5jMk0oKE8Pq_WY83fi5FApvEDPcq2exiJVct4klwQtfJL0dsl6BVx-oyiiS-DoQLQHF3nCAJM_Ng6fVIcw0VLCu8nN90QKiOp84eyCnFGO5xMsAjTc85OXQL7czqGJfejOEmKQirqzPbdkW2JRG86qVFevras2cqV_uWMZBDXEctB5RdSCJeiEHtXfxaXKRjzCXB_1GRNlxbXmjuDVglboRH5OvEBu5q0i8RTw8dTTnhw7N8lgmQaurKbA1nZpK5W4OUYhQZt3pQEwJaCxeSdy72sCFFis9n4cAKsEQKaNffWMUgdO_VMOtU6ODE6_8D66j-=w1920-h934-no
Jim, You sound like you have the Yips. It's most commonly associated with putting in golf but can affect any task. See in red below for the golf definition.

In some people, the yips are a type of focal dystonia, a condition that causes involuntary muscle contractions during a specific task. It's most likely related to overuse of a certain set of muscles, similar to writer's cramp. Anxiety worsens the effect.
Some athletes become so anxious and self-focused — overthinking to the point of distraction — that their ability to execute a skill, such as putting, is impaired. "Choking" is an extreme form of performance anxiety that may compromise a golfer's or any athlete's game.

While your issue isn't just your muscles that perform fine actions like putting, it's still sounds like a form of the yips in that it is involuntary and affects both your thinking and your muscles.

The way most golfers address it is by changing their routine like switching to a different putter, changing their grip to reverse handed or split handed, or changing their putting stance. The point is that they're tricking their mind. That routine that was causing the spasms in their minds and hands stops because they changed it so now the mind is focusing on something different.

I realize you can't change how you hold your bow, but I think the pin sites are a good idea. Maybe even just use 2 or 3 pins if you can. Anything else you can do to change your current "feel" could help you. The more your mind has to concentrate on adjusting to something else the less likely it will resort back to it's involuntary spasms.

That's just my non-professional diagnosis...:LOL:

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Jim, You sound like you have the Yips. It's most commonly associated with putting in golf but can affect any task. See in red below for the golf definition.

In some people, the yips are a type of focal dystonia, a condition that causes involuntary muscle contractions during a specific task. It's most likely related to overuse of a certain set of muscles, similar to writer's cramp. Anxiety worsens the effect.
Some athletes become so anxious and self-focused — overthinking to the point of distraction — that their ability to execute a skill, such as putting, is impaired. "Choking" is an extreme form of performance anxiety that may compromise a golfer's or any athlete's game.

While your issue isn't just your muscles that perform fine actions like putting, it's still sounds like a form of the yips in that it is involuntary and affects both your thinking and your muscles.

The way most golfers address it is by changing their routine like switching to a different putter, changing their grip to reverse handed or split handed, or changing their putting stance. The point is that they're tricking their mind. That routine that was causing the spasms in their minds and hands stops because they changed it so now the mind is focusing on something different.

I realize you can't change how you hold your bow, but I think the pin sites are a good idea. Maybe even just use 2 or 3 pins if you can. Anything else you can do to change your current "feel" could help you. The more your mind has to concentrate on adjusting to something else the less likely it will resort back to it's involuntary spasms.

That's just my non-professional diagnosis...:LOL:

Appreciate the response. Sounds exactly what's happening, or close.

No doubt it's all in my head so hopefully a subtle change or 2 will help.

ninjaneer

what FIXED, MULTI pin sight are you using and what are the pros and cons?

I've been using the same Spott Hogg hunter 5 pin since 2009. Never had it get loose or move. For some applications(competition) a smaller diameter pin than I have would be nice , but overall been very happy.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
what FIXED, MULTI pin sight are you using and what are the pros and cons?

I've been using the same Spott Hogg hunter 5 pin since 2009. Never had it get loose or move. For some applications(competition) a smaller diameter pin than I have would be nice , but overall been very happy.

I think there's some confusion. I'm shooting a single pin slider. Nothing is malfunctioning other than the mass inside my skull :bounce:

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
JT - I shoot an Apex 5 pin sight and love it. Pins set at 20-50. Last pin is slid to the bottom out of the way. I only use the 50yd pin in the yard. 40 is my limit for hunting but rarely shoot one over 20-25 because I set up for short close shots. I would say the last 20 or so I killed were less than 20yds.

t8ter

I would speak with your doctor about this. I was having and still have the problem of when my nerves get ramped I would tremble during the shot. It’s got me bad this year in the woods. I can keep em some what calm during tournaments. Come to find out it is attributed to diabetic neuropathy and some spinal cord damage. Now I don’t blame it totally on that. I think TP pays a role in it to. I think you got the yips too but let doc see if something else ain’t going on.
I have trouble seeing up close. Can’t see my sight tape real good in the woods. So this year I’ll change my sight to the axcel 1 pin mover with the click bars. It has a sight tape but on the back it has blocks you can set for certain yardages. That way I can feel the clicks of the blocks to assure I’m setting it correct.
Good luck