Improvising

splatek

UAEC
Took the family up to the hills for a quick trip in the camper. Woman is tied down nursing with the 1 month old, but the little two year old is obsessed with water, fish, and fishing. Actually, we joke that hood favorite quotes is “Outside!” The other night he sat up in his sleep yelling “Outside outside outsiiiiiide!” Before collapsing back in the bed. Well wouldn’t you know I packed up everything but in the rush to get going forgot a rod (note to self: leave a free in camper from here on out).

Little guy couldn’t stop saying feesh feesh feesh dada, while pointing at the creek so I dug through the truck and was able to find about six foot of 2-4 pound test, a battered and eaten barbless pheasant tail, and a half eaten hamburger bun.

285759BE-96F6-4DF8-AE3E-2189BEDC400E.jpeg

We made it work. Caught about 2 dozen fish throughout the day. Little man doesn’t want to hold ‘em but he sure can’t get enough of you catching them.

Qazaq15

Awesome! Keep him interested but don't burn him out on it. Keep it fun, leave when he gets tired, and don't get upset when he snags his line ten times in a row. You'll have a fishing buddy for life.

Taxman

Sell the "Pre-owned" fly fishing stick on ebay for 350!!! Great story, makes
you realize how complicated we can make things:))

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Took the family up to the hills for a quick trip in the camper. Woman is tied down nursing with the 1 month old, but the little two year old is obsessed with water, fish, and fishing. Actually, we joke that hood favorite quotes is “Outside!” The other night he sat up in his sleep yelling “Outside outside outsiiiiiide!” Before collapsing back in the bed. Well wouldn’t you know I packed up everything but in the rush to get going forgot a rod (note to self: leave a free in camper from here on out).

Little guy couldn’t stop saying feesh feesh feesh dada, while pointing at the creek so I dug through the truck and was able to find about six foot of 2-4 pound test, a battered and eaten barbless pheasant tail, and a half eaten hamburger bun.

View attachment 1156520

We made it work. Caught about 2 dozen fish throughout the day. Little man doesn’t want to hold ‘em but he sure can’t get enough of you catching them.
That's cool!

When I was a kid, we would tote a few feet of leader and a couple dry flies in a snuff box back to a speck creek, and cut a little limber birch sapling for a rod. We caught a lot of little native trout like that.