The Rocky Mountain Way

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
As often as I can, which turns out to be not near enough, I try to plan a trip to the west. When I was younger and held fewer responsibilities, these trips came more frequently. Fortunately, my wife loves it as much as I do and we want to take our kids for as long as they are still willing. So about the time the summer heat was arriving here in Georgia, we pointed the truck towards the Rockies and headed out for an excursion that would end up covering 5000 miles and 12 states.

Since this is the Fly Fishing Forum, I won't bore you with our visit to the Black Hills and our amazing hike up Black Elk Peak, the highest point east of the Rockies. I won't tell you about standing atop the hill upon which Custer and the 7th cavalry made their last stand. And I won't tell you about our hike up into a local area known as the Blue Castles, shining white cliffs streaked with bright blues and greens, results from the oxidation of the minerals in the rocks.

I'll just tell you about the fish.

There's a quite large alpine lake in northern Colorado that holds a very pure strain of Colorado River cutthroat. I've visited it a half dozen times over the years and I've now taken my children twice. The lake itself offers pretty good spin fishing opportunities and if the sun and wind are right, excellent flyfishing as big cutthroat cruise the shallows sipping mayflies.

20230706_102557.jpg

For the uninitiated, they get their name from the bright red slash under their jaw.

20230707_180919-1.jpg

I've fished the lake enough to know that when the fishing is slow in the main lake, it's probably better up in the creeks. That's not always the case, but it was this time. There have been 2 fires here in the last 30 years and after a severe wind storm a few years back, many of the widowmakers that have been standing dead for decades have finally come down. But that makes the fishing a little more challenging for anyone who ventures up the creek.

20230707_113945.jpg
0-1.jpg

Higher than average snowfall had every single stream rushing with whitewater. High, fast water combined with numerous deadfalls and logjams made fishing with a dry fly an exercise in frustration. I don't like being frustrated, especially when I'm fishing. So I tied on a big flashy olive streamer and the fish responded.

This is what I came for.

20230707_120035(0).jpg20230707_120041.jpg20230707_115946.jpg20230707_115955.jpg20230707_121634.jpg

After a hard morning bushwhacking overland to find fishable runs, I relaxed for a lunch break overlooking this gem. Not a bad spot to relax and recharge.

0-2.jpg

To be continued....

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
One reason I like this particular spot is the different types of water available within walking distance. @The mtn man tagged along on this trip and he's a pretty fair fishing buddy. He knows that little bitty water doesn't always mean little bitty fish.

20230707_142932.jpg
20230707_142959.jpg
20230707_143003.jpg

Of course, it's not all cutts.

20230707_150158.jpg

Even when the fishing is great, sometimes you just need to slow down and take in the scenery.

20230707_145644.jpg

To be continued....

Wow ! Impressive and breath taking view and scenery. If there was ever a picture attached to the quote gods country this would be it..

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
As special as this place is, there are other place worth visiting too. So after 3 days, we packed up camp and headed a few hundred miles south the the headwaters of the Rio Grande. When most people think of the Rio, they think of the warm, muddy water on the Mexican border. This isn't that. With 15 feet of snow still covering the pass to Silverton, the runoff keeps the water icy cold. Like, my feet hurt after getting out of the water cold. But trout like cold water, right?

The upper Rio Grande valley, above its last impoundment.
20230709_202538.jpg

The lower reaches of the river are dominated by rainbows, with the occasional buttery yellow brown trout mixed in. I mentioned @The mtn man is a pretty good fishing buddy. But he ain't near as fun to snuggle up to at night as this fishing buddy!

She's serious. This is her game face.
20230713_103350.jpg

I took a timeout from absolutely waxing 14" rainbows to snap a picture of a beautiful sunset with my beautiful bride fishing a bend in the Rio Grande. I didn't realize that she had just landed her own big bow.
20230710_193515.jpg

20230710_193505.jpg

The rainbows varied from obvious holdover stockers with chrome sides and little color, to vibrantly spotted and striped textbook western rainbows that attacked a dry fly in viscous, slashing strikes.

20230713_120156.jpg

That's an 18" torpedo that is an absolute blast on a 5wt rod and dry fly.
20230713_120152.jpg

You think a rainbow with a tail like that can generate some speed in rushing water? You're right.
20230713_110201.jpg

Occasionally, you'll come across a cuttbow, a cross between the native cutts and these rainbows. As I understand it, the generations closest to the cross breeding look more like cutts, but as the generations continue, the rainbow appearance becomes more dominant.

This one has the typical spot arrangement of a cutt, with the stripe and gill plates of a rainbow.
20230713_120536.jpg

20230713_122248.jpg

With all these rainbows and cuttbows, there has to be a cutthroat around here somewhere, right?

20230713_111331.jpg

To be continued...

cowhornedspike

Been there! Beautiful place!

Hiked up the first stream that comes in from the east and caught a bunch of cuts and brookies.

Looked a lot like the stream you fished but was before the fires and was more open in the stream and heavily wooded on the hills.

Wanted to go to the larger stream on the south end but didn't have time to do that one.

Have wanted to go back there ever since...Maybe soon...

Meriwether Mike

Nice pictures and trip report. (y)Need to get back out there myself. 2019 was my last trip.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
@The mtn man commented at one point, that he needed a brookie to complete his trout slam on the trip. I told him I knew a creek in which he could complete the slam several times over, so we got up early one morning, packed a lunch and began our hike.

As I said before, the snow melt was still rushing wildly and this creek was at least a foot higher than the last time I fished it. It made any canyon section absolutely unfishable. We soon learned that fish weren't holding where we expected them to. They were often right against the bank, sometimes with their backs out of the water. But once we figured out where they were hanging out, we quickly learned what pockets to look for and the catching commenced.

All 4 species, 5 if you include the cuttbows, came to hand readily.

20230711_100008.jpg20230711_115531.jpg20230711_111454.jpg20230711_120541.jpg20230711_122406.jpg

All of these beautiful little fish in one beautiful little creek.

20230711_125051.jpg

Thunder was rolling as we walked through the ranch gate after the end of a long day of fishing. A brief rain and hail storm passed over as we stripped off wet boots and socks, and as so many afternoon storms do, we were left with a reminder of God's promises.

20230711_200244.jpg

What's the best way to cap a day like this, you ask?

20230711_194358.jpg

Campfire grilled trout, stuffed with lemon and butter and creole seasoning. Enjoyed around the most perfect fire pit ever made, looking up and seeing the Milky Way so clear it's unbelievable.
20230711_224245.jpg

I could kick myself for not going prepared for some quality astro-photography, but leaned back in my chair with my feet propped on the rocks around the fire, this was my feeble attempt at capturing the galaxy with my phone.
20230711_221014.jpg

I hope you get the idea.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man. Wow. I want to say a lot, but this about leaves me speechless.
I have never been out west, and will probably never get the chance to before I croak, but I want to so bad, seeing stuff like this. I have to live vicariously through y'all. That is absolutely amazing. Absolutely beautiful fish, and beautiful country. If I died on that trip, I would die happy.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Beautiful fish and beautiful country!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have never caught a cutthroat, but one mystery around here that this thread makes me think about: In some of the Smokies streams that were stocked early on with rainbows, particulary that one that me and you and @themountainman camped and fished on a few years ago, you occasionally catch a bigger rainbow that has the bright red or orange cut slashes under its jaw, and often a crimson red belly like a cutthroat. My research indicates they are probably genetics from the original Columbia Basin redband trout shipped in from California by train and stocked into this creek in the late 1800s/early 1900s. I wonder if there are some cutthroat genetics still in there over a hundred years later? Here is a big rainbow from that creek, and though you can't see them in the pic, it has red throat slashes that would look right at home on a cutthroat:

bow2.jpg

This one from the same creek had the throat slashes, plus a red belly that doesn't show up too good in the pic:
bow6.jpg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
As special as this place is, there are other place worth visiting too. So after 3 days, we packed up camp and headed a few hundred miles south the the headwaters of the Rio Grande. When most people think of the Rio, they think of the warm, muddy water on the Mexican border. This isn't that. With 15 feet of snow still covering the pass to Silverton, the runoff keeps the water icy cold. Like, my feet hurt after getting out of the water cold. But trout like cold water, right?

The upper Rio Grande valley, above its last impoundment.
View attachment 1240983

The lower reaches of the river are dominated by rainbows, with the occasional buttery yellow brown trout mixed in. I mentioned @The mtn man is a pretty good fishing buddy. But he ain't near as fun to snuggle up to at night as this fishing buddy!

She's serious. This is her game face.
View attachment 1240985

I took a timeout from absolutely waxing 14" rainbows to snap a picture of a beautiful sunset with my beautiful bride fishing a bend in the Rio Grande. I didn't realize that she had just landed her own big bow.
View attachment 1240986

View attachment 1240987

The rainbows varied from obvious holdover stockers with chrome sides and little color, to vibrantly spotted and striped textbook western rainbows that attacked a dry fly in viscous, slashing strikes.

View attachment 1240989

That's an 18" torpedo that is an absolute blast on a 5wt rod and dry fly.
View attachment 1240990

You think a rainbow with a tail like that can generate some speed in rushing water? You're right.
View attachment 1240991

Occasionally, you'll come across a cuttbow, a cross between the native cutts and these rainbows. As I understand it, the generations closest to the cross breeding look more like cutts, but as the generations continue, the rainbow appearance becomes more dominant.

This one has the typical spot arrangement of a cutt, with the stripe and gill plates of a rainbow.
View attachment 1240992

View attachment 1240993

With all these rainbows and cuttbows, there has to be a cutthroat around here somewhere, right?

View attachment 1240994

To be continued...
If you could catch that size trout here regularly, I would definitely fish for them.

I fish for meat as well as fun.
The tiny dinks in N. Georgia are of no interest to me.

Glad for you and family having a fabulous trip out west.