Interesting...it continues...

...the controversy over religion in schools continues...

http://www.wsbtv.com/education/21184508/detail.html

Bible Verses Banned At H.S. Games

Posted: 3:44 pm EDT October 2, 2009Updated: 4:03 pm EDT October 2, 2009

<!--startindex-->ATLANTA -- When the Warriors of Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High take the field Friday night, the football team won't be running through the cheerleaders' usual banner bearing a Bible verse.

The school district banned the signs a week ago over concerns they were unconstitutional and could provoke a lawsuit, angering many in the deeply religious north Georgia town of Fort Oglethorpe.

"I'm just kind of unnerved about it," said 18-year-old Cassandra Cooksey, a recent graduate who often prayed with her fellow marching band members before football games. "It seems like the majority of people in our community want this and they don't have a problem with it, so I think they should be allowed to have the signs if they want to."

Several hundred people attended a rally this week supporting the signs, and more than 8,000 people have joined an Internet group backing the display of Biblical messages by the school's cheerleaders. Some of the banners have read: "Commit to the Lord, whatever you do, and your plans will succeed" and "Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong."

Catoosa County schools Superintendent Denia Reese banned the long-standing practice after a parent called her. Reese checked with the school board's attorney, who advised her the signs violated federal law because they were being displayed by the cheerleaders during a school-sponsored event.

The signs are expected at Friday night's game against Ridgeland, but they won't be held by cheerleaders. School officials have designated an area in front of the school where the messages can go on display. They say the area is legally protected because it doesn't give the appearance the school is sponsoring religious speech.

"I regret that the cheerleaders cannot display their signs in the football stadium without violating the First Amendment," Reese said in a news release. "I rely on reading the Bible daily, and I would never deny our students the opportunity to express their religious beliefs."

She was not immediately available Friday for comment. Bill Nigut, southeast regional director for the Anti-Defamation League human rights organization, said the superintendent was acting appropriately.

"There are legal ways for students to have religious observation in a school context and there are illegal ways, and we believe Reese is correct that the football game crosses a line," Nigut said. <!--stopindex-->

Last edited:

StriperAddict

All this because of offending one person. :rolleyes:

earl

Banned
They still get to do it , They just have to do it legally. How unChristian like can that be ?

They still get to do it , They just have to do it legally. How unChristian like can that be ?

I just posted the article...I have no dog in the fight whatsoever...;)...

The only perplexing issue is who decides the concept of how "legally" is defined...:bounce:

Just wondering what authority is afforded either side of the fence and why...:huh:

Although I am a Christian, I would and could never support a notion such as "religion" as it is man made over the centuries and has nothing at all to do with the spirituality of Christianity but by the same token I also cannot support anyone that would stifle the right to majority supported free speech such as a quote on a sign as is the case here...

:cheers:

:pop:

I guess I'm the only person who looks at the situation as taking the Holy Word of God, and having a bunch of high school football players tear it up and trample it into the field. Exactly how does that glorify God? Don't such practices trivialize the Word of God, and convert it from revealed truth to some sort of magic talisman?

It's not like the football stops and reads the scripture, then prays over it.

It would be an interesting experiment to see how many of the cheerleaders or football players could tell you what the scripture verse was after the game.

It's easy to jump on the one parent who brought the matter to the school's attention, but the school board attorney had no problem quickly determining that the practice was illegal. It wasn't stopped because a parent called, it was stopped because it was illegal.

I guess I'm the only person who looks at the situation as taking the Holy Word of God, and having a bunch of high school football players tear it up and trample it into the field. Exactly how does that glorify God? Don't such practices trivialize the Word of God, and convert it from revealed truth to some sort of magic talisman?

It's not like the football stops and reads the scripture, then prays over it.

It would be an interesting experiment to see how many of the cheerleaders or football players could tell you what the scripture verse was after the game.

It's easy to jump on the one parent who brought the matter to the school's attention, but the school board attorney had no problem quickly determining that the practice was illegal. It wasn't stopped because a parent called, it was stopped because it was illegal.

I agree 110%...extremism left or right is wrong...but neither of those positions have anything resembling common sense...:bounce:

...but on the lighter side...it may be like taking the perceived holy word of king james (given recorded historical events) and trampling it...that is of course ony if the quarterback that trampled it has not been "canonized" as a saint in the SEC and is a sure thing for UGA to win a championship...then it would be perfectly fine...::ke: :rolleyes:

jason4445

In more recent articles the woman who questioned why the verse was being presented in places where prayers and such are against the law states she was not making a complaint - just asking a question for a school essay she was writing.

For those that wish to show support for the football team running through the Bible verse here is a Facebook page you can join.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=275980160486

In more recent articles the woman who questioned why the verse was being presented in places where prayers and such are against the law states she was not making a complaint - just asking a question for a school essay she was writing.

For those that wish to show support for the football team running through the Bible verse here is a Facebook page you can join.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=275980160486

Well if she explained that to the school official then I do not see why it even became an issue in the first place...sounds like she did not even have a kid there that would have qualified her to offer her opinion in the first place...:huh:

redlevel

That Allah may reward them according to the best of their deeds, and add even more for them out of His Grace: for Allah doth provide for those whom He will, without measure.

Would you be offended if this verse from the Quran was chosen for one of the games? What if the person who led the prayer on the intercom ended his prayer with "Allah akbar!"?

Next week, the Buddhists will be in charge of selecting the scripture, and this, from the Tibetan Book of the Dead might be chosen

Remember the clear light, the pure clear white light from which everything in the universe comes, to which everything in the universe returns; the original nature of your own mind. The natural state of the universe unmanifest.

In a public school, if you allow one religion to be represented, you must allow all. Maybe for homecoming the Wiccans will be in charge.;)

That Allah may reward them according to the best of their deeds, and add even more for them out of His Grace: for Allah doth provide for those whom He will, without measure.

Would you be offended if this verse from the Quran was chosen for one of the games? What if the person who led the prayer on the intercom ended his prayer with "Allah akbar!"?

Next week, the Buddhists will be in charge of selecting the scripture, and this, from the Tibetan Book of the Dead might be chosen

Remember the clear light, the pure clear white light from which everything in the universe comes, to which everything in the universe returns; the original nature of your own mind. The natural state of the universe unmanifest.

In a public school, if you allow one religion to be represented, you must allow all. Maybe for homecoming the Wiccans will be in charge.;)

You are so right...so which "religion"? All that you named sound sort of monotheistic and based on similar premise...::ke: :bounce: :huh:

Maybe if a choice is to be made then all should be excluded as all have done their fair share of persecution...;)

jason4445

That is really what made me wonder. That area is as backwoods Bible belt as one can get in Georgia. I think the school was looking for a way to make them stop Bible versing, without having every crossroads preacher and their brother showing up at the board meetings, and this woman and her asking about it was the perfect scapegoat.

Shoot, you don't even have to go that far afield.

I'll bet a banner with a "Hail Mary full of Grace ....Mother of God" would get the locals rocking and rolling. And we all know that a "Hail Mary" is a bona fide football play.

earl

Banned
''Maybe for homecoming the Wiccans will be in charge.''

I'm all for that .There's something about a nekkid homecoming queen in the glow of a bon fire.....

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Not that is changes the discussion, did they run through the sign(s) or were they sideline signs?

Not that is changes the discussion, did they run through the sign(s) or were they sideline signs?

It is sort of what has become the standard pre-game procedure.

The cheerleaders hold up a big banner with a Bible verse on it, and the team runs through it, tearing it to pieces, and trampling on the pieces on the ground.

Not a very reverent approach to The Bible IMO.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
What happened at this weekends ballgame, or was it a home game?