Is It To Hot/Late To Trim Azaleas?

Big7

The Oracle
My 4 different colored Azaleas bloomed at different times this spring for some reason.

I don't need to do major pruning just shape them up and try to get them sized consistently. I didn't get around to trimming them a month ago when I should have.

I got plenty of hose and sprinklers.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bob2010

I would only prune them just after they flower. The freeze may have hit them this year. Or they got pruned too late last year. I would not prune them in this heat. Wait till it cools off. You may cut your next years blooms off though? I would fertilize them next spring early. No pruning until they flower.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You more than likely wont hurt the azaleas but you might not have much in the way of blooms this next spring.
This. It won't hurt them to prune them now, you're just cutting off nest year's blooms. They do still have a couple months to make new growth and some bloom buds, though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
BTWE, with Azaleas, don't attack them with a hedge trimmer and make a bubblegum machine ball out of them. Go down inside the shrub with a set of hand pruners and cut the taller stuff off flush at a fork without destroying the natural shape of the plant.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks for the replies.

Think I'll just wait until right after next bloom.

Got 14 in all and can't risk it.
Still got dead blooms that did flower even after several heavy rains and winds.
16873030150144578328385605378286.jpg

Latest posts