Islam, creation, and science

OrlandoBrent

Christians go through varying degrees of contortions to reconcile Gen 1 & 2 with current understanding of science. Some view Gen 1 & 2 as allegorical, and hold to conventional science's understanding of the beginnings of the universe, earth, and life, with some divine guidance along the way. Others believe in a 6000 year old earth and dinosaurs are Satan's way of messing with believers. And everything in between the extremes.

What do Muslims believe? During the dark ages of Christianity, Islam led the world in science and math. Now we see them as fundamental wackos. Most of the Muslims I interact with are PhD engineers and are Muslim by culture and heritage mostly, although I've know a few to observe Ramadan and daily prayers. What does the average Muslim think? :huh:

gordon 2

Average thoughts of right and wrong? Issues of justice?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I can't answer you question but i've often wondered why there aren't any forum members that are Muslim, Hindu, Wicca, etc. I realize most people in Georgia are Christians. We do have a Jewish guy on here from time to time.
Maybe they just don't hunt, fish, camp, or backpack. They might just not be outdoors type people. You would think that the Wiccans would be.
But then again, would you like to be the only Muslim on the GON?

mtnwoman

I can't answer you question but i've often wondered why there aren't any forum members that are Muslim, Hindu, Wicca, etc. I realize most people in Georgia are Christians. We do have a Jewish guy on here from time to time.
Maybe they just don't hunt, fish, camp, or backpack. They might just not be outdoors type people. You would think that the Wiccans would be.
But then again, would you like to be the only Muslim on the GON?

Wonder if there are Muslim forums?....bet there are.

OrlandoBrent

I got a couple of perspectives today. Had a conference in Clearwater and gave a ride back to Orlando to a couple of my colleagues in our research group. They're both from Turkey and are only mildly religious. They said that, at least in Turkey, it's a lot like here. Some from every part of the spectrum. They did point out that the Koran is quite abstract about the creation of man. Something like man was created out of sand and water. So there is not the same level of conflict as here between creationism and evolution. I've only had the patience to read bits and pieces of the Koran and just never ran across this issue before.

And as far as no Muslims on GON...I just don't think the outdoors are a big part of their lives. I'm probably around more Muslims than Christians when I'm not working from home. They do like sports, but none that I know are big on the outdoors. Soccer, cricket (if they're from Pakistan), and I know one that is a Formula 1 and sports car fan. Turkey is a big yachting destination in the eastern Med and of course, horses are big in Arabia, but there's other forums for that stuff.

ted_BSR

I work with a Muslim guy. He definetly does NOT do the outdoors.

mtnwoman

Read the biblical story of Jacob and Esau, followed up with bible scholars viewpoints of that and you'll understand how muslumism began.

Esau was kicked out of the 'kingdom'...he took with him the Torah, which is basically what muslims believe...they were lead down the wrong path and never get to Jesus...they are stuck in the OT. Jacob led his flock to the promised land and that is us'ns.

gordon 2

Read the biblical story of Jacob and Esau, followed up with bible scholars viewpoints of that and you'll understand how muslumism began.

Esau was kicked out of the 'kingdom'...he took with him the Torah, which is basically what muslims believe...they were lead down the wrong path and never get to Jesus...they are stuck in the OT. Jacob led his flock to the promised land and that is us'ns.

Good observation. Like the jews and some christians they are still a people of an eye for an eye--people who have hatred for the infidel--or each other... As you say mtnwoman--" and never get to Jesus." They are "stuck". In them the law is a curse.

Last edited:

drippin' rock

Good observation. Like the jews and some christians they are still a people of an eye for an eye--people who have hatred for the infidel--or each other... As you say mtnwoman--" and never get to Jesus." They are "stuck". In them the law is a curse.

I just read recently of Gengis Khan's decimation of the Islamic world in the 1200s. He burnt Bagdad and other cities to the ground and killed hundreds of thousands of people. Bagdad's science, art, and culture is said to have rivaled ancient Greece. I wonder if that had anything to do with them being behind everyone else from that moment on?

swampstalker24

I'm not sure what muslims believe about science vs the word of God. But what I can say is that the muslim folks that I have met and come to know pretty well are all really good people and hard working. Now, Im not saying that all are that way, but they do have bad apples in the bunch just like any other religion does. I worked with an african fella one time who was a muslim, and he was one of the nicest, well mannored, hardworking, and honest person I have ever met. He was also thankful for everything he had and every opportunity given to him. He always had a smile on his face and never complained, even when he had reason to. He also enjoyed fishing!

Artfuldodger

I just read recently of Gengis Khan's decimation of the Islamic world in the 1200s. He burnt Bagdad and other cities to the ground and killed hundreds of thousands of people. Bagdad's science, art, and culture is said to have rivaled ancient Greece. I wonder if that had anything to do with them being behind everyone else from that moment on?

That could have put a damper on their way of living. Muslims are on their way to regaining their foothold in the Middle East. Here is a link brought up on another discussion:
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=753004

drippin' rock

No, I just asked a simple question. You referred to:

What type of people frequent this forum?

There are good, tolerant people that come to this forum. But I believe that there are enough "We need to turn that place to glass" folks, and "By gawd everybody but us is wrong" folks, and the "I'm sure you are a great person, but you are still going to he!!" folks, that if a person was to come here and announce that they were Muslim, the silence would be deafening.