Itty bitty snake ID

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Found this little guy under a bunch of leaves yesterday.

He tried to lay flat and look bigger than he was....cute little thing my wife wanted to keep it?

AD4549D9-D848-4148-8CEA-0FB7FA13EC9B.jpeg

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I thought decays brown were the brown snakes with the orange belly? Thought I learned that here

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I haven’t seen any in quite a while so it was kinda neat.....I sent the photo to my wife and she came running.

Geno67

Yep - Dekays.

Sure enough full grown one too. They don't get very big at all. The wife can keep it. I honestly think they like being kept if you get them a good place to live going on. They need loose, sandy soil an inch or two deep so they can burrow around in it. They eat earthworms almost exclusively so the burrowing thing takes up at least half of their life - they are not happy if they can't burrow around. Feed them a couple redworms every week or so (that one might eat wigglers) and speak to them/interact with them. They are very friendly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I thought decays brown were the brown snakes with the orange belly? Thought I learned that here
Nope. Redbelly snakes (closely related,) and ringnecks have red or orange bellies, but not the Dekay's brown snake.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Nope. Redbelly snakes (closely related,) and ringnecks have red or orange bellies, but not the Dekay's brown snake.
used to see the ring necks quite often, but not for a long time.....probably keep him for a bit if I see him again?

killerv

Here's a hognose

Smelled something musky when we sat down in the turkey blind saturday am. A couple steps out of the blind was this thing
YEy2DZk.jpg

swamp hunter

Neat Snake...
Never seen one living way down South. Seen lot,s of Snakes but not that one.

Latest posts