I've come to an undeniable conclusion

oldfella1962

My preferred convenience store has that feature gong back a year or two, I don’t like it a bit. I grew up in the 50s and 60s and there were attendants pumping gas then. I like pleasant talking store clerks too but they’re hard to find now days.
"Pleasant" talking clerks? These days I would be happy if they talked at all! :( That said, New Jersey doesn't allow pumping your own gas if you are ever in a nostalgic mood. Many station attendants are wearing turbans and named Kabir however.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
"Pleasant" talking clerks? These days I would be happy if they talked at all! :( That said, New Jersey doesn't allow pumping your own gas if you are ever in a nostalgic mood. Many station attendants are wearing turbans and named Kabir however.
The last time I was in New Jersey was in 1971, I saw enough then to last a lifetime. There are still pleasant clerks here but they’re mostly home folks with plenty of history here locally. It’s getting harder and harder to find mom and pop businesses even though I try.

hopper

I hate when they pop on extra loud when you least expect it. Bout gave me a heart attack.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't know how official it is but it is in practice across the state. I take on fuel up there about once a month or so.

Toliver

I don't know how official it is but it is in practice across the state. I take on fuel up there about once a month or so.
I'm sorry to hear this. I was in Newark once in 1989. I'm not sure I've fully recovered yet.

I, too, hate the marketing recording/video when I commence to pumping. It's selling stuff for gas engines so it's all pointless to me as I'm standing there breaking the bank putting diesel in my truck. I know the Kroger pumps have the mute button. They're labeled with "no thanks" or something like that. Now I know to look for a mute button at other places.

oldfella1962

The last time I was in New Jersey was in 1971, I saw enough then to last a lifetime. There are still pleasant clerks here but they’re mostly home folks with plenty of history here locally. It’s getting harder and harder to find mom and pop businesses even though I try.
Now that you mention it, several mom & pop stores in my area have flipped over to chain/corporate stores since I moved here. :(