I've got some REEL problems. (see what I did there?)

ASH556

Ok guys 2 reels with problems:

1) Quantum Xtralite spinning reel. I bought the combo from Lawdog (Boggy Creek Outdoors) in June 2010. He's out of business as far as I can tell, so I can't return it. It's only been out twice (this past Saturday being the second time). The reel is HORRIBLE! I mean, it functions ok, but the handle seems to require an excessive amount of torque to turn. It feels like you're pulling against a fish when you're not. I took the reel apart and lubed it with no change. You know how you can usually spin the handle on a spinning reel and get 8 or 10 revolutions for your efforts? Not so with this guy. Feels like something's binding, but like I said, I stripped it down and no luck. Quantum has discontinued this reel and besides, it's 2 years since date of purchase, and they only warrant for 1 year.

What to do with it?

2) Basspro Rick Clunn Signature baitcaster (OLD). I bought this reel my senior year of high school, which was 2001. It's been perfect right up until last year. The thumb button doesn't do anything. It seems to be stuck in the down position and turning the handle doesn't re-engage the spool. I've never had it apart. I'd like to try to fix it. Anything to look for in taking it apart, or is it a waste of time?

Thanks!

centerpin fan

1) quantum xtralite spinning reel. I bought the combo from lawdog (boggy creek outdoors) in june 2010. He's out of business as far as i can tell, so i can't return it. It's only been out twice (this past saturday being the second time). The reel is horrible! I mean, it functions ok, but the handle seems to require an excessive amount of torque to turn. It feels like you're pulling against a fish when you're not. I took the reel apart and lubed it with no change. You know how you can usually spin the handle on a spinning reel and get 8 or 10 revolutions for your efforts? Not so with this guy. Feels like something's binding, but like i said, i stripped it down and no luck. Quantum has discontinued this reel and besides, it's 2 years since date of purchase, and they only warrant for 1 year.

What to do with it?

imagesCAE20Q34.jpg

Bassboy17

Reel Promblems

Take it to Nutter rod and reel service those guys are great...
I think you can google there info

ASH556

I'm not sure it's worth paying someone to repair either. I only paid $25 for the spinning combo and the Clunn reel is 11 yrs old.

Any more input?

bayoubetty

Ngoodson on here just did mine and its a new reel...actually its better than new! Highly recommend his service! We will have some video up soon to show exactly what he did to my Abu.

ASH556

How much, though? PM pricing if you don't want to post in the open forum (advertising concerns?).

bayoubetty

How much, though? PM pricing if you don't want to post in the open forum (advertising concerns?).
just shoot ngoodson a pm. very reasonable. I'm freaking going crazy over my reel. I got some Boca bearings put in in place of my brushings and an overall tune up...thing will cast a country mile........................... didnt do that when it was new!

ngoodson

Banned
Thanks Bayoubetty!!! Glad you like the reel. Josh, I'll PM you with specifics....the long and short of it is YES...I bet I can fix 'em for you.

hortonhunter22

well id say you got your moneys worth outta the baitcaster....man thats 10 years of use...i do dang good if i can get 2 or 3 years from mine...of course i do fishing alot and put alot of stress on reels...but as fairly inexpensive as reels are today...cheaper to buy new than try to get someone to repair reels with age on them...in my experience if the reel wasnt over 100 bucks new itll almost cost more to fix if its something major

bayoubetty

before & after

Here are some before and after shots. I've had this 550 for sometime..attached to it, if you will..now its upgraded! Get you some great bearings and it will give new life to that reel! I'd hang on to my senior reel! Call me sentimental I guess :D Took mine out for the first time again today...this baby will fly!

Attachments

• internal_before.jpg
    internal_before.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 270
  • internal_after.jpg
    internal_after.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 304
  • side_Plate_before_2 (1).jpg
    side_Plate_before_2 (1).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 303
  • side_plate_after.jpg
    side_plate_after.jpg