Jarvis Jones - UGA or FSU

BlackSmoke

FOOTBALL Recruiting: It’s UGA or FSU for former AJC Super 11 linebacker transferring from Southern Cal (UPDATED)
7:30 pm June 12, 2010, by Michael Carvell

BREAKING NEWS: Will UGA’s Mark Richt add another “Dream Team” member? Tucker LB to announce between UGA and Georgia Tech, three others (Click here)
Former AJC Super 11 member Jarvis Jones, who was granted a scholarship release from Southern Cal coach Lane Kiffin, will transfer to UGA or Florida State.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Jones will make recruiting trips to both schools within the next few weeks and likely decide by the end of the month, according to his high school coach.

Jones was one of the nation’s top linebacker prospects out of Carver-Columbus High, signing with USC over UGA, Florida, and LSU in February 2009. Last season, Jones was a reserve linebacker for Southern Cal last year as a freshman, registering 13 total tackles in 8 games. He suffered a neck sprain against Oregon and missed the final five games. He was not cleared by doctors to participate in Southern Cal’s spring practices under Kiffin.

How is the neck? Will Jones be given medical clearance to return to football? Carver coach Dell McGee said Jones was examined by several independent physicians, who determined that Jones could play again.

“He sought other opinions from other doctors,” McGee said. “Those other doctors said they would clear him if they were the active team doctor.”

McGee also confirmed to the AJC that both UGA and Florida State’s medical staff will examine Jones’ neck as part of a routine physical during his recruiting trips. Jones will also file a petition with the NCAA to play in the 2010 season.

Carver is a popular stop with college recruiters, as a pair of rising seniors — tailback Isaiah Crowell and defensive tackle Gabriel Wright — are also considered among the nation’s best at their respective positions. If UGA or FSU lands Jones, would it help either school with Crowell, Wright and other Carver players?

“I think all of those kids making those decisions are doing it because it’s a good fit for them … it’s not because any players are there,” McGee said. “Now I’m not saying that won’t happen. But I think the biggest thing before any kid makes a commitment is how he and his family feel about the school they are choosing.”

What is the latest on Crowell and Wright? McGee said both visited Auburn on Thursday, along with other Carver players.

Jones kept the nation’s until suspense on signing day of his senior year. Will Crowell and Wright do the same? Wait until February to reveal their college choice? “Right now, there’s a possibility they could do it at one of the [December] all-star games or signing day, they just don’t know right now,” McGee said. “They could do it tomorrow or wait until signing day. That’s up to them on when they want to make their decisions.”

One last note on JJ: He left Southern Cal before the football program was pounded by NCAA sanctions on Thursday. A major factor in Jones signing with USC was the presence of Trojans linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. , who left with Pete Carroll for the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks in January.

RELATED: UGA No. 1 commitment, QB Christian LeMay, will be at UGA’s prospect camp on Saturday. LeMay faces a possible 30-day school suspension after an alleged rules violation (Click here)

Southern Cal freshman-to-be, WR Markeith Ambles of Henry County, is thinking about transferring and a decision could come in the next day or two, according to GAVarsity’s Brendan Cosgrove. Ambles enrolled early at USC in January. Georgia Tech offered Ambles out of high school, while UGA did not.

BlackSmoke

I agree Rex. I think he's FSU bound. But man, what a shot in the arm that would give our LB corps.

Sugar HillDawg

I hope UGA don't burn a scholarship on this dude, he's damaged goods and he's ONE bad form tackle away from being paralyzed.

rex upshaw

I hope UGA don't burn a scholarship on this dude, he's damaged goods and he's ONE bad form tackle away from being paralyzed.

everyone is one bad form tackle away from being paralyzed. if he is cleared to play, then i would love to have him. he was a good player prior to his injury, still has 3 years of eligibility and would be a good in with carver, at the very least. we have "burned" scholarships on far less deserving players in the past.

brownceluse

everyone is one bad form tackle away from being paralyzed. if he is cleared to play, then i would love to have him. he was a good player prior to his injury, still has 3 years of eligibility and would be a good in with carver, at the very least. we have "burned" scholarships on far less deserving players in the past.

I agee Rex this is one of those cases that it wouldnt really bother me if this was a burned scholly. Hes a Carver kid and that would be huge. Maybe will get lucky and get him I think he would be a huge help!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I'm gonna hope for the best but I think this might be hoping for too much.

BlackSmoke

Wow, I'm truly shocked. I knew we stood a good chance, just thought he was gonna be a Nole. Now I hope the kid gets cleared and has a long and healthy career. This is a GREAT addition to our LB corps.

brownceluse

Wow, I'm truly shocked. I knew we stood a good chance, just thought he was gonna be a Nole. Now I hope the kid gets cleared and has a long and healthy career. This is a GREAT addition to our LB corps.

Didnt think we would get him either! :cheers:

BlackSmoke

takes the place of losing vaughters.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Both seem to be the same type of player with great athleticism. I'd still love to have Vaughters, but Jones coming to Athens is a heck of a consolation prize.

Hardwoods

X's 2!!

He will probably be a bust anyway and ride the bench for the rest of his career.

Latest posts