Jekyll fishing report

Just got back but here are some fish we caught. Mostly caught sheepshead, trout and redfish. But did catch a massive croaker. Didn't get a proper measurement but was at least 16 1/2 inches to 17 inches. Which was the real reason of this post, to see if whats the biggest croaker you've caught. Never seen one so big. All of these were caught with live bait, either shrimp or fiddler crabs. We also caught some black drum, though mostly small. I hooked the blue crab on a dead shrimp on the fishing pole. Had a good sized stone crab on the fishing pole too but it came off right as I was about to pull out of the water.

20231228-180846.jpg

20231228-191100.jpg

20231228-173643.jpg

20231227-132422.jpg

20231228-190430.jpg

20231227-171410.jpg

BCAPES

Great catch! I will be on Jekyll for a work conference this weekend. Was planning on using Pompano rigs with fish bites while surf fishing. Any advice or tips? Thanks

shotgunhales

i caught some croakers a few years back at the BH reef that were around 18 inches, looked like spot tail bass at first

Great catch! I will be on Jekyll for a work conference this weekend. Was planning on using Pompano rigs with fish bites while surf fishing. Any advice or tips? Thanks
I just go to the pier parking lot and I'm catching these fish like within 10 yards from the bank. Granted, it is rocky as f out there and you will lose all kinds of fishing lures/bait/weights/etc so be prepared. A popping cork set up is about best, with a live shrimp on it. You can catch plenty of sheepshead out there too but you really will get snagged all the time. Thats usually what we fish for, but the bite was so good on the popping cork.

I had most of my luck an hour or two before sunset until like 30 mins after sunset. If you can get high tide around those times it helps too. Though on low tide I like fishing in the creek. Also watch out for those no see'ums, which can be miserable at times.

There usually is an old guy there fishing by himself but is real friendly and quick to give advice. Listen to what he says. I've seen him out there over the years but last time he told me he is retired and fishes out there almost every day. So he knows where they are holding up at.

Redbow

Back in the 50's we used to catch big Croaker out of the James River and the Chesapeake Bay up in Virginia. I'm not sure we ever caught any that were 18" though. NIce catch u have there some mighty fine eating.

I am guessing the local bait shop will have the live shrimp? Thanks so much!
Well there is a bait shop right there at the pier, but they didn't have live shrimp. They were out of shrimp, so they might have it when you go. I had to drive into brunswick, which they have a couple of options. I went to george's bait, which is on the road heading to st simon island.