JT and Bubba

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
That's a good problem to have Jim. Make the money, hunt when you can. When retirement comes (and it will come) you want to be in a position to hunt whenever and for as long as you want to. :wink:

Man I appreciate the kind words, but I hope like hades I work until I fall over. Just wasn’t ever planning on work from oct 15-dec 15 again

Jim Boyd

Sorry for the delay folks. I am slowly but surely recovering from a week long sickness that has kicked my and Melissa's butts in every way possible. But we are alive...well I think.

Dale gave a pretty accurate description of what's happening but here goes.

For most of my life I was in sales and since 2005 when I closed down for deer season it only really affected me because the team was big enough to let it ride. Managers hated it but what do you do? 4 or 5 years ago my owner created a new position in the office that would still allow me to take the 8 weeks off. Basically we took a team of 2 and added me.

Last August my owner said he was replacing one of the 3 and he wanted me but that I had about 20 minutes to answer. It was impossible to say no with about 3 times the income. but now there was a team of only 2. Fine for normal week long vacations. sick days etc but not even close to enough coverage for an 8 straight week vacation. There's just too much to do for 1 person to run the show 6 days a week 12 hours a day.

We did the move with the idea that we would add the 3rd person back as soon as we found someone qualified. That hasnt happened and the production between the 2 of us is strong as ever. We are running like banshees with zero free seconds in a day but are getting it done.

Last year my deer season was as screwed up as it's been in almost 20 years. It was not a pleasurable season. I saw the house I own for the 1st time ever with leaves still falling. I spent a couple weeks in KS and then a few days here and there in MO and IL while running back forth to work. Yes I know this is 1st world problems, but what do you do?

Last season on my last hunt I posted a whiney sounding post in the Live From The Tree that I was basically done. That it had been a great 17 year ride but that I am done. It is a lot of work and a lot of responsibility, but my real issue is that I hate doing it halfbutted. I hate having so many days in a row of not being in a tree and not being able to keep LFTT what it's grown to be. Heck other than issues with cell service I havent sat in a tree in 17 years without being live.

So saying all that...I have no idea how this season will turn out

Many folks do not know just how hard it is.

I am looking for exactly 0% sympathy but doing an AM hunt and then a PM hunt here in the south, with good cooking and rest in between the hunts is nothing compared to 12 hours a day in the tree, trying to throw food together for that evening (and the next day) AND trying to sleep 6-8 hours…. Day after day is tough.

Throw in the cold and the elements and it is even harder.

@Jim Thompson we are pulling for ya brother.

I have seen some fairly stout people fold like a cheap suit on some expensive hunts due to cold, rain, hours, etc.

You guys have held in strongly and if you have a bad day (or even a bad year) a little whining may well be in order.

It’s harder than it looks.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Man I appreciate the kind words, but I hope like hades I work until I fall over. Just wasn’t ever planning on work from oct 15-dec 15 again
I thought the same thing. I'm still getting used to it but being able to go hunting on Wednesday and stay until Sunday instead of having to wait until Friday will grow on a fella in a hurry. :bounce:

slow motion

I'll post up about hunting and my latest mishaps. Not hunting related but here's one from Sunday. Was going to replace brake pads. Broke the lug nut. That half is stuck in the 4 way. Got another and bent the wrench. Ended up lifting one 1side while my wife hit the other side with a sledge hammer. By then I'd resolved to let somebody else fix it.

20230917_130810.jpg20230917_130810.jpg20230917_130658.jpg

flatwoods

I'll post up about hunting and my latest mishaps. Not hunting related but here's one from Sunday. Was going to replace brake pads. Broke the lug nut. That half is stuck in the 4 way. Got another and bent the wrench. Ended up lifting one 1side while my wife hit the other side with a sledge hammer. By then I'd resolved to let somebody else fix it.

View attachment 1255168View attachment 1255168View attachment 1255170

Ok, that's a new one to me. I tip my hat to you sir.

slow motion

Me Bubba and John have the still new to us (last year) lease in southern IL. It is starting to shape up to be sumn else but is huge and hunts even bigger and we share it with 8 other folks so it will have it's challenges. It's only 70 miles from the house so I can do some running as needed.

We will be in KS at Steve's Kansas Farmland Outfitters again for 2 weeks starting a few days later in November than normal.

Basically the plan is to spend the season between the 2.

Bubba and John are both retired now and yet again I have zero idea what my schedule will be like.
Ok Sunday is the opener in Illinois. You being the Godfather of LFTT. Screenshot_20230925-082156_Adblock Browser.jpg

Kick it off for us brother.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Sunday is the opener and I will be there doing some work but dont plan to be in a tree.

Maybe

Do which? Not be in a tree? This is all RONG! :bounce:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well if it helps, I cant remember the last time I hunted an opener. We usually open up around the 18th

Well, since you can no longer hunt every day you need to be hunting every day you can. :wink: :bounce: