.380 effectivness

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Who here is 100% sure they would survive a center of mass shot with a .380 with quality defense ammo? I think the thug will think the same way when hit, if he survives.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Who here is 100% sure they would survive a center of mass shot with a .380 with quality defense ammo? I think the thug will think the same way when hit, if he survives.
not me

1300 and 1500 fps.. is that +P+?....can you hold onto one running that fast? Are they rated for that?
Corbon DPX boast their 80 or 85gr mono will penetrate 12-18" in 10% gel with 4 layers of denim in front of it running 1050

Dub

I've come to the conclusion that a .22 caliber LR or magnum that you can get multiple quick hits with is much better than a pistol that you can get only 1 slow or no hits with. The more holes in the bad guy that I can get in him quicker than he can get holes in me, the better.

That is why I mainly carry guns chambered in .45acp, .38 Super and 9mm.

Accurate first hits on 10yd targets with fast & accurate follow up shots.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Maybe but not from me. My next free hotel points gun is going to be something different. A Ruger Super Blackhawk. I’ve not had a 44 magnum in over 50 years. Time for another one.
How did you get by without one? 20 grains of 2400 and a Keith style cast bullet would be good.

transfixer

not me

1300 and 1500 fps.. is that +P+?....can you hold onto one running that fast? Are they rated for that?
Corbon DPX boast their 80 or 85gr mono will penetrate 12-18" in 10% gel with 4 layers of denim in front of it running 1050

I just bought a box of those , but haven't shot any of them yet

furtaker

I carry a .40. It'll get you off me at more than arm's length. If you're at arm's length, I already made a big mistake. It's still marginal. A .357 would be better, but it's too big to tote.
If you watch actual footage of gunfights and look at the statistics from them, it's amazing how much lead folks can soak up sometimes and still keep coming.
It's amazing what people can do when they're strung out on meth.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe but not from me. My next free hotel points gun is going to be something different. A Ruger Super Blackhawk. I’ve not had a 44 magnum in over 50 years. Time for another one.
I loved mine. Meth heads self-donated it to their cause from out of my house while I was at work. :mad:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody, but I'd much rather be shot with a .380 than a .45. Amazing how many people get shot and don't even realize it in the moment.
Some of the stuff I've read about .380 effectiveness suggests that crappy ball ammo might be a better choice than "quality defense ammo" in that caliber, because it might actually penetrate to something vital instead of blowing up on a bone.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Nobody, but I'd much rather be shot with a .380 than a .45. Amazing how many people get shot and don't even realize it in the moment.
Yep, saw a video of a cop out west put four shots center of mass into a bare chested hopped up guy. The guy just kept coming, blood flowing down his chest.

Then there’s the grandpa that slept with a .380 under his pillow. Two guys broken in on him. He shot the first guy. It was a pass through the chest and hit the second attacker in the arm. The first guy died after one hit. The other guy fled.

So many variables, one just needs to be as prepared as possible.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, saw a video of a cop out west put four shots center of mass into a bare chested hopped up guy. The guy just kept coming, blood flowing down his chest.

Then there’s the grandpa that slept with a .380 under his pillow. Two guys broken in on him. He shot the first guy. It was a pass through the chest and hit the second attacker in the arm. The first guy died after one hit. The other guy fled.

So many variables, one just needs to be as prepared as possible.
In the end, I repeat that a .380 is much better than nothing.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I carry the G-19 with extra mag if concealment isn’t essential or I’m headed into somewhere with more risk.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I carry a Ruger LCP in my pocket for a "belly gun".

My arms length and beyond choice is my G21 Gen 4.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that’s what I first got instead of the 380 I had been thinking about. Carried it for about 10 years and got to where I was pretty good with the admittedly horrible trigger.
But a couple of years ago I traded in hotel points for Bass Pro Shop gift cards and got a free P365. I like it a lot better. I carry it with a 12 round magazine and it’s got a good trigger. The Ruger was a good gun though.
The LC9S doesn't have the horrible trigger.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I carry the G-19 with extra mag if concealment isn’t essential or I’m headed into somewhere with more risk.
I tote a G23 every day in shorts and tshirt. Nobody has ever noticed it.

transfixer

Ideally I suppose when carrying a .380 one might mix up the rounds, alternating your choice of a maximum expansion hollow point with a round that would penetrate deeper ? I have not tried that as of yet, but generally only carry my .380 when risk is relatively low, and situation dictates I want something easier to conceal, for instance I went with family to Zoo Atlanta yesterday, and carried my lcp 2 appendix carry under a t-shirt, was there for over 4hrs, walking around the whole time, while risk was relatively low, there was definitely a wide variety of people there, from suburban families to inner city baby mamas with multiple kids, to groups of inner city teenagers who were evidently just rambling around . Never really felt at risk, but had not been there in over 20yrs and did not know what to expect

Gator89

I spent half of a morning once trying to kill a sick sheep with an old S&W .38 revolver I had. I finally killed it with one shot from a .22 Single Six my buddy had. I sold the .38 soon after that.

Bullet construction is important.

Years ago we had a cow with a really bad cancer on her eye. Called a rendering company to come get her.

The retrieval truck driver showed up with a brand new lever action 22 magnum rifle and hollow point ammo. Driver proceeded to shoot the cow between the eyes. He would shoot and the cow would shake its head.

I said let me try, I moved to the side and shot the cow in the temple and ended its miserable ordeal.

I tried to explain to the driver he needed to get the boss to buy him so FMJ ammo.

Last edited: