Judo points, field points, bludgeons, adder rings...

GA native

... maybe I should just stick with fishing.

Squirrel season opens in less than two months. My new bow and I are rapidly coming together. My practice sessions get better and better. I have my hunting license. The hiking boots are broken in. I think I'm ready this season. At the least, I can get a feel for stalking through the woods.

But as I look at the endless variety of arrow heads, I start to wonder if it is a lot like fishing lures. It doesn't have to get game, just a sucker with money.

Do these fancy heads have any real advantages over field points? Are they just shiny lures?

dm/wolfskin

It all depends where you hit the squirrel. I've killed them field points and judo points. I use hex heads and old broadheads now. I 've also been using the Forge Converta Blunt behind an old broadhead point without the blades in it. They should help a field point on killing power.

Attachments

• P1070531.jpg
    P1070531.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 222
  • squirrel#2-8-24-14 2014-08-24 001.jpg
    squirrel#2-8-24-14 2014-08-24 001.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 231
  • PB301455.jpg
    PB301455.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

GA native

Good information here, thank you.

I have so many lures in the tackle box, that never caught anything but me. I tend to eye all of this stuff with suspicion now...

markland

Bludgeons and judos for me, do prefer some type of judo when shooting into soft ground to help find arrow but blunts of any kind are good for tree shots. Muzzy SG-X is a bad lil point and you can get the Grasshopper spring attachments to use behind any point.

SELFBOW

Field points and sometimes washer backed is all use anymore unless I have an old broadhead to play w.

Barebowyer

Great advice has been given here. I have used the hammerheads(similar to a hex) and the G5 small game heads with great success the past few years. Shoot straight!!

dadsbuckshot

I make blunts out of .38 or .357 spent shell casings. You can pop out the primer and replace the hole with a small nail cut down to size needed - cheap, easy and works good for me.