Just a point about main beam length...

GTHunter007

We now have most all the data WRD retains from harvested animals in which they log. You can search and view the database on most every county or WMA. Some searches go back to 2008. Have not searched much...but they could go back further.

http://www1.gadnr.org/dnr/deer/public

If you are a land manager and want some data to help form your basis and restrictions, this is a fine place to start.

One thing I notice just pulling up my county of Morgan...since 2008, only 2 bucks aged at 3.5 yrs old, had main beams over 19" long. All but 2 of the 4.5+ aged bucks are over 19" main beams. Only 2 2.5 yr olds crested the 18" mark. That is very few special young animals with large main beams that fall over that number. And very few 4.5s that stay under it.

In the TrailCam forum we see bucks posted asking for age/score with 20-23" beams and a majority of answers will be 3.5 yr olds. Maybe a couple have been those special 3 yr olds but very very few posted all summer have been such.

If anyone wants to think about how to protect, estimate and try to let bucks get to maturity, main beam length should absolutely come into the equation if you can't get a full understanding of age based on body characteristics. You can judge main beam length in a hurry from the stand.

I know their data is not consistent of every animal taken across each county...but it is likely more data over more time than most of us have at our finger tips for a specific property.

Just something I felt like sharing. Nothing is set in stone...I am sure there are 5.5 yr olds with 15" beams and 3.5s with 24" beams...these are anomalies. And should be given special considerations when encountered.

fishhunt05

Very interesting fact. The shed I found was 17.5 inches long and I figured that deer was 3.5 yoa. If I shoot him this year we will see how long the mains are. I expect them to be at least 19.

Jim Boyd

Excellent, data driven observation.

Insightful and well done.