The Big doe sang in Georgia

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My Ga deer season was in Early and Miller counties,. With hopes of getting a couple big bucks that has been on trail cameras. Season ended with nobody in our club getting any of the bucks I had in mind. In fact, we quit getting photo's of those bucks after the season began. It was a strange season for sure, we never saw what could be called a rut. Just young bucks harassing does from time to time. With only two mature bucks four years or older killed chasing. The club didn't get many bucks this year, but what they did get were averaging 3.5 years of age. A club total of about 9 bucks and 7 does were taken. Not a good year at all, we usually do better. We have noticed, in the last couple years, our rut began the last week of the Ga season, and looks like that's what we will see this time around. First mature bucks began showing up just a couple days ago on camera. I've also noticed very few sightings of bucks crossing highways at night in our region. January of 1922, buck activity increased right after the season closed. I finished the season with two nine point bucks, both looked to be 3.5 years of age. Bucks harvested by our club has no fat, while the does had plenty. With all the crops, acorns and plots we had planted, I find that strange. Bucks killed first of the season had no fat and they should have been in better condition. The two bucks I got were gifts. I usually hunt hard, setting up in difficult areas that takes extra effort to get there. First buck was taken the first 2 minutes in a blind. I went to an easy blind to spend about an hour before I needed to get on the road for a meeting. Sat down, pulled my phone out to check cameras, looked out the window and the buck was walking by at about 40 yards. Made me late for the meeting by about an hour or so. Second buck, I had gotten tired of going deep into the woods and decided to set up in a popup in an intersection in our woods. About 30 minutes before dark, a nice point came out to a water hole in the road. With the season getting short, I took him to tag out on bucks. Finished up the season with a doe and four hogs. To top it off, we had a great time in camp, and I enjoyed many good naps in the woods. It's what old folks do.

Attachments

• buck dec 8th.jpg
    buck dec 8th.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 155
  • buck 2 and grade.jpg
    buck 2 and grade.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

psedna

UAEC
Also same area not far from you, we found the exact same thing.

I did have a nice 200 lb plus good buck come out behind me (bowhunting) Saturday, and I had does under me, wound up spooking all of them and they all finally calmed down and I wound up with a forty yard broadside shot and I shot under him. My grandsopn and I had a few bowhunting encounters the last two weeks of the season with good bucks, but just couldnt seal the deal. He did take a couple of does, and he/friends nailed two pigs.

Between the artic blast and unable to get in the woods, and a family committmnet for three days right before Christmas, I feel that I missed the best part of the season.

I sure hope the DNR will pass the changes to deep SW season, at least for bowhunting (sorry)...

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I can relate to bowhunting. Was a bow hunter for many years, and President of The Florida Bowhunters Council Inc, a state wide organization. 1970s-1982. A neck injury made me hang the bows up a few years back. Took many deer and hogs with long bow, recurve and compounds. Checked cams today and seeing more deer and hog activity. They know when the woods quieten down. I spend more time in our woods than I do at home. Managing for everything out there, game and non game. Beginning to think there may be a problem or two. One being too many feral hogs, another is loss of habitat. Too much land being cleared for pasture and farms around us in Miller/Early county near Lucille Ga. Works great for farming and cattle, but ain't worth a toot for deer hunting.

Attachments

• FBC plaque.jpg
    FBC plaque.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 15