Kansas

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
:clap: One day I’m gonna play that silly game too! Hurray for the win for you 83! I bet getting a deer would be icing on the cake! I think just going would be amazing!
It used to be easy to draw it’s turned in to a 50/50 chance now . If you don’t get drawn the you get a preference point and
:clap: One day I’m gonna play that silly game too! Hurray for the win for you 83! I bet getting a deer would be icing on the cake! I think just going would be amazing!
The following year you automatically get drawn. I have heard from some guides up there that I’m the next year or so it’s going to be a preference point state like Iowa. Where it takes you a couple years to get drawn based on the number of preference points you have . That’s gona suck

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
We were drawn again. No way I would have taken that bet considering how much harder it is getting every season. We are about 10 years straight now. Hate it for all the folks that arent getting in. My phone has blown up the last 24 hours with people telling me yah or nah and like last year it aint been pretty.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Kansas finally got smart and started limiting nonresidents. If they didn't, they would have gone down the same road as Illinois. Which is a bad road to take. Limiting nonresidents will definitely help the buck age structure.
I’d have to agree with that policy. Unfortunate as it might be, I’d probably shoot the first legal buck I saw…..maybe, maybe not.

Gator89

Kansas finally got smart and started limiting nonresidents. If they didn't, they would have gone down the same road as Illinois. Which is a bad road to take. Limiting nonresidents will definitely help the buck age structure.

But I read on here that if a state had 4+ months of bowhunting and limited gun hunting to a week or two, there was no way to kill too many little bucks?

Last edited:

uturn

Congratulations to all the folks that drew…too many irons in the fire right now for me..sitting on my preference point again this year!

I’d have to imagine with the fact that now just having to put up $97.00 and not the $500 from the past that the NR applications will increase a bunch!

Congratulations again..No place like Kansas!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Congratulations to all the folks that drew…too many irons in the fire right now for me..sitting on my preference point again this year!

I’d have to imagine with the fact that now just having to put up $97.00 and not the $500 from the past that the NR applications will increase a bunch!

Congratulations again..No place like Kansas!

I heard from someone that applied as a group...card charged up front the small amount and then when they were selected one of the groups card was either declined or expired and it caused the entire group to get declined. Ouch

Keith Karr

I’ve had a lease in SE Ks (unit 11) since 2013 so this is my 11th season with it. I have an agreement with a couple of friends….we alternate every other year. This is their year and me again in 2024.

I felt like one preference point would be all that would ever be needed.

Well I just spoke to my buddy and he was drawn but his son was not and they both had preference points.

His son already has the rejection notice and his profile is updated to show he now has two points.

Very disturbing to say the least. I may have to get another group involved and just start going every 3rd year so we can get 2 points before applying.

Last edited:

James12

Same reason I’ve never picked up a fly rod, I’m glad I’ve not dabbled in the Midwest stuff - I’d be a wreck and as obsessed as I am with what little access I get and lose here.

uturn

I’ve had a lease in SE Ks (unit 11) since 2013 so this is my 11th season with it. I have an agreement with a couple of friends….we alternate every other year. This is their year and me again in 2024.

I felt like one preference point would be all that would ever be needed.

Well I just spoke to my buddy and he was drawn but his son was not and they both had preference points.

His son already has the rejection notice and his profile is updated to show he now has two points.

Very disturbing to say the least. I may have to get another group involved and just start going every 3rd year so we can get 2 points before applying.
Well go figure…thanks for sharing Keith and JT! Always something new isn’t there!! I’d be interested in the 2024 trip Keith…love to go back with ya!!

Keith Karr

Sure wish I’d have known that back the 1st of April! Guess we will see what next year brings as my plan was to grab and go with the 1 point I’ve been holding!!
Same here Scott…..I never dreamed it would take more than one point.

It just doesn’t seem possible that all applicants for unit 11 had a preference point. It seems to me that would have to be the case to be rejected with 3360 tags available.

Last edited:

Keith Karr

Update !

I called Ks DNR several times today and after talking with 3 or 4 different people I got a lady that was very helpful and looked into what happened to my buddy that was rejected.

His card was declined.

So everyone needs to make sure to update your profile with any change to your card on file.

A small oversight has very sad consequences.

uturn

Update !

I called Ks DNR several times today and after talking with 3 or 4 different people I got a lady that was very helpful and looked into what happened to my buddy that was rejected.

His card was declined.

So everyone needs to make sure to update your profile with any change to your card on file.

A small oversight has very sad consequences.
Well I feel better now…kinda! Hate it for your buddy and his son tho! Thanks for the heads up Keith!!

mike1225

Four of us hunt together. 2020 4 out of four drew tags. 2021 2 out of 4 drew tags. 2022 4 out 4 drew tags. This year 2 out 4 drew tags. I was not one of them. I know of at least 10 people that drew with no preference points this year. It's hard for me to figure it out. This was my deer last year & a trail cam pic from the year before. He jumped about 20-25 inches.

Attachments

• Kansas 2022.jpg
    Kansas 2022.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Kansas 2021.PNG
    Kansas 2021.PNG
    236.8 KB · Views: 45

Keith Karr

Four of us hunt together. 2020 4 out of four drew tags. 2021 2 out of 4 drew tags. 2022 4 out 4 drew tags. This year 2 out 4 drew tags. I was not one of them. I know of at least 10 people that drew with no preference points this year. It's hard for me to figure it out. This was my deer last year & a trail cam pic from the year before. He jumped about 20-25 inches.
Great buck Mike !

Do y’all bow or rifle hunt !