Kill 1 and 5 more take its place

Redman54

In all my years I have never seen the hog population as high as it is today. We have a 300 acre tract on the river and another 350 about 2 miles down the road. The river tract over the years has always held a few hogs, we would generally kill anywhere from 6 - 12 during deer season. The other tract would produce maybe 1 or 2. That's killing them every time we saw them, not letting the walk. Over the last 2 years we have been specifically targeting them, year round, and they still seem to be multiplying like crazy. Between me, my wife and 3 boys, plus 2 other buddies, we have killed close to 75 this year on the river tract and 30 on the other. The land owner across the river from us has over 1,000 acres and they shoot them day and night. Yet they seem to materialize from thin air. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting them, and they sure are tasty, but I sure would like for them to ease on back to where they came from. They are the ultimate survivor for sure. I have trail cam pics of a sow that appears to be about 6 months old that is clearly pregnant. Rant over!! Now some bragging points!
A779B69D-16F2-4C1F-89A0-558E132BC914.JPGIMG_2956.jpgIMG_4767.jpgIMG_3134.jpegDSCF0186.JPGIMG_3094.jpgIMG_3099.jpgIMG_3112.jpgIMG_3096.jpgIMG_1740.JPG

HogKillaDNR

You definitely have a target rich environment for sure. The best way to get rid of them is by trapping them. Shooting will cause them to run from one property to the next. I've never eaten one but plan on it this fall.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just imagine how bad they’d be if you didn’t kill your share . I grew up with them and wish we had a few in the area I live now .

baddave

I'm jealous, I kilt 3 last summer and they've been long gone since. I'd rather have pigs than deer honestly. I've killed enough deer in this lifetime

2dye4

In all my years I have never seen the hog population as high as it is today. We have a 300 acre tract on the river and another 350 about 2 miles down the road. The river tract over the years has always held a few hogs, we would generally kill anywhere from 6 - 12 during deer season. The other tract would produce maybe 1 or 2. That's killing them every time we saw them, not letting the walk. Over the last 2 years we have been specifically targeting them, year round, and they still seem to be multiplying like crazy. Between me, my wife and 3 boys, plus 2 other buddies, we have killed close to 75 this year on the river tract and 30 on the other. The land owner across the river from us has over 1,000 acres and they shoot them day and night. Yet they seem to materialize from thin air. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting them, and they sure are tasty, but I sure would like for them to ease on back to where they came from. They are the ultimate survivor for sure. I have trail cam pics of a sow that appears to be about 6 months old that is clearly pregnant. Rant over!! Now some bragging points!
View attachment 1182433View attachment 1182434View attachment 1182435View attachment 1182437View attachment 1182438View attachment 1182453View attachment 1182454View attachment 1182456View attachment 1182457View attachment 1182464
What everyone don’t realize is that a mature female can have a litter every 3 month 3 weeks and 3 days. Add up all the females you killed and multiply that times 12 times 3. That is how many piggies they can produce in a single year.

HogKillaDNR

I don't think you will be disappointed, especially if you like pork!
I enjoy eating pork for sure and nothing like those bacon pancakes.

HogKillaDNR

Thanks for sharing - but can see how it gets old! You’re lucky and cursed.
Hopefully the population stays in check so he's not cursed with over production and damage to the land.

Redman54

Hopefully the population stays in check so he's not cursed with over production and damage to the land.

It's getting that way. Most of the swamp looks like someone went through it with a tiller, and some with a mini-excavator :mad:

specialk

if they could just grow some horns......

sleepr71

What everyone don’t realize is that a mature female can have a litter every 3 month 3 weeks and 3 days. Add up all the females you killed and multiply that times 12 times 3. That is how many piggies they can produce in a single year.

This is what most people don’t get. You have to treat them like roaches in your house! One is too many & you must exterminate the whole Sounder. This fella sounds like he may have nearby landowners that are either logging & pushing them..or..they are hunting/pressuring them & they go to wherever the least pressure is. I know it’s time consuming..but some Corral Traps can sure knock a dent in them. Even if just setting them on the long weekends when there hunting?

HogKillaDNR

This is what most people don’t get. You have to treat them like roaches in your house! One is too many & you must exterminate the whole Sounder. This fella sounds like he may have nearby landowners that are either logging & pushing them..or..they are hunting/pressuring them & they go to wherever the least pressure is. I know it’s time consuming..but some Corral Traps can sure knock a dent in them. Even if just setting them on the long weekends when there hunting?
That's so true and maybe get help from USDA when it comes to trapping. Pig Brig has some reasonably priced traps and seem to be low maintenance too.

earlthegoat2

I’m still surprised I’ve never seen any evidence of hog activity on my land in south central Washington Co. I have a feeder going most months and there has been nothing but deer, possums, skunks, yotes (very few of those either) squirrels, etc.

I’m both dismayed and glad they are not there. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they show up though.