Killing deer not on Camera?

Luke.Deer.Commander

How many of you in the new age of cell cams have killed large, mature deer 140” plus that you haven’t had on your land on camera at all?

I’m a Wildlife Biologist by trade and do camera surveys each year and I’m gauging the effectiveness of trail cameras.

2dye4

We don’t even have a 140 on our place. The deer I killed this year we had on camera.. I wouldnt think there is a lot of places in ga that’s gonna have the criteria you mentioned..
Obviously you don’t know about Worth Co. They run rampant in that Co. But you’re right, not a lot of places have bucks of that caliber.

Dupree

I haven’t gotten a 140” on camera in 3+ years.

As far as mature deer go, I have not seen or killed any on private land that I’ve never had a pic of in recent years.

Obviously you don’t know about Worth Co. They run rampant in that Co. But you’re right, not a lot of places have bucks of that caliber.
Sir I do know about worth and counties like that. Like you said they are few and far between like that. A vast majority of the state will be 100 to 130….I certainly don’t want to start a debate or hijack the man’s thread…

2dye4

Sir I do know about worth and counties like that. Like you said they are few and far between like that. A vast majority of the state will be 100 to 130….I certainly don’t want to start a debate or hijack the man’s thread…
Yes there are few sanctuaries in the state. Don’t mean to ruffle any feathers. Seems like a lot of big deer come from the counties surrounding ATL.

kayaksteve

Between me and some family on about 350 acres it’s usually about 50/50 or pretty close on the deer we kill. That’s with about 5 or 6 people that live on the property running probably 5-10 cameras total on scrapes, trails, food plots, front yard deer feeders. This year 1 mature buck has been killed and only 1 person had pictures of him previously. We have killed many over the years we had never saw before. None have been close to the 140 range but I’m referring to mature bucks in general.

sleepr71

Not many. The vast majority of mature deer move after dark anyway,at least where I’m at.. so getting one on camera… And getting him in the bed of my truck…are two totally different things!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
During the rut, they range a lot...about like 10 to 20 miles.

Trying to make cell cams illegal are ya?

::ke:

Liberty

I killed an 8 point symmetrical big bodied mature buck at my place this year. Biggest buck I’ve shot living there for 6 years. It was my first year here with no cameras up. We didn’t start hunting until rifle season. After my 10 year old son and I put one in the truck 3 days apart, we’ve sworn off wondering in the woods and food plot checking in on gadgets and stirring up the woods every week carrying corn in.

slow motion

I'm not very good at cam placement and even worse about checking em. During season I typically pull a card if it's on the way to a stand. Usually after season I find pics of the deer I've taken when I pull all the cards. While I've killed a few big deer never taken a 140 or better so not sure if it's relevant to your question. Good luck to you. Still about a month to go. Sure I'm not the only one with an unfilled tag. Get em folks.

Josh B

On properties that I run trail cameras on I normally kill the bucks I get on camera within a couple seasons. There's only been 2 mature bucks I've killed on those properties I didn't know what bucks they were. One was during the rut and one was the neighboring property was running beagles for rabbits and pushed a big buck onto my lease. As far as 140" deer I've only had one on camera and I got it this year.

deermaster13

Not a whole lot of 140 inch deer where I hunt. 15 inches is what we try and go by. With that said the 2 that were killed on our club one was 17 inches and either one had been seen on camera all summer

Buford_Dawg

My club historically gets about 50-50 split with killing nice bucks (115-130) that we have on cell cameras versus not having them on trail camera. 140s are hard to come by in Oglethorpe county. This year, one property I hunt, we had 3 bucks identified before/during the season as a shooter and all 3 were harvested by my buddies. We have not harvested any other bucks, so this year on that club we are 100% on taken bucks that we had on camera and had identified as shooters. That is not normal, but it happened this year.