Knives

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Keep up the great work, nice looking knives and sheaths.

bullgator

Very nice

wvdawg

Staff member
Looking good!

Big7

The Oracle
No, just got me some 1/8 inch D2 and cut them out.

Those are some really good looking knives and I love the top left sheath!
And since you said you've only made 10, here is a little friendly advice.

D2 is an air hardening tool steel commonly used in sheet metal stamping dies, iron woking shears, etc.. Desirable because of the high chrome content and hardness. Typically it's usually 62HRC but it can be hardened to around 65/66HRC.

Good thing you used a full tang design. D2 is HIGHLY NOTCH SENSITIVE. Avoid 90* or any other sharp angle and ALWAYS use a healthy radius in any sharp corners. Heat treat and use sets up stress in those areas but you don't ever have to worry about that with a full tang design.

D2 is an excellent material for making knives, hatchets, etc... But IT WILL BREAK at some point if you don't follow the D2 "rules".

PM me if you ever need any help with any kind of tool making or knive making material. Been heat treating every material known to man for 40 years as a career.

deathwish

Do you just make them for family and/or friends?
Yea, just trying to improve on each one. Retired and just wanted to try and see what I could do. Like to get good enough to sell a few to help pay for some of the tools and materials.

deathwish

Those are some really good looking knives and I love the top left sheath!
And since you said you've only made 10, here is a little friendly advice.

D2 is an air hardening tool steel commonly used in sheet metal stamping dies, iron woking shears, etc.. Desirable because of the high chrome content and hardness. Typically it's usually 62HRC but it can be hardened to around 65/66HRC.

Good thing you used a full tang design. D2 is HIGHLY NOTCH SENSITIVE. Avoid 90* or any other sharp angle and ALWAYS use a healthy radius in any sharp corners. Heat treat and use sets up stress in those areas but you don't ever have to worry about that with a full tang design.

D2 is an excellent material for making knives, hatchets, etc... But IT WILL BREAK at some point if you don't follow the D2 "rules".

PM me if you ever need any help with any kind of tool making or knive making material. Been heat treating every material known to man for 40 years as a career.
I have a lot to learn I have been heat treating at 1850 degree for a soak of 30 minutes, air cooling and then tempering at 500 degree for two 2 hr cycles and RC has been around 58/60. As time goes on I want to try other steels.

Redbow

Those are some great looking knives, good show.

Anvil Head

It only gets better my Friend! Only gets better. Off to a great start. As mentioned, D2 is a great blade steel, but has parameters that make it challenging for most beginners. Always a lot more to learn "behind the scenes" than most folks understand. Lot of science, geometry and physics involved.