Kydex Holster?

killerv

Can't speak for kydex but my 22 compact slides nicely in my G19 holsters. We've really enjoyed ours

Rabun

Anyone know where I can find a kydex holster for my Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Compact that will not break the bank? I can't seem to find any! A Blackhawk Serpa style holster would be fine as well. Doesn't matter if it's IWB or OWB.. I don't want nylon or leather.. Thank you!!

What's your application...is this for when you're out in the field as a "snake" gun or for concealed carry? I have found if I'm in the field I most always have a pack on and a gun on my hip just doesn't work well or if I'm in my stand seat...it's in the way. I have gone to a chest rig if wearing a pack...don't even know it's there. Got it from GS holsters out of wasilla Alaska. About $70

Dub

I wanted a couple of nice weatherproof models for use for CCW when riding the mountain bike, fishing & etc.

Most of the time, though, I use leather options from Milt Sparks. There is a reason their Criterion, Nexus and VersaMaxII holsters are so popular. They perform very, very well. That being said....I've come home before and unholstered my G19 and found the leather was saturated.....doesn't happen like this on normal everyday carry....but, in extreme cases.

Finally settled in with excellent kydex holsters from Raven Concealment. Secure retention, comfort, weatherproof, etc, etc. They are not cheap, but they are very well made. Sadly....I had to come to these after first going the el cheap route.

Initially tried some ebay kydex and another low cost version bought direct from the maker. I regretted these. Money wasted. Flimsy construction that failed at the seems.

The one the so called maker produced was dangerous....the gun could not be removed from the holster once I slid it into it the very first time. I kid you not. I had to dismantle the thing to get the gun out....which voided his so-called warranty. Never again.

I wouldn't give away a Fobus holster. Had one that broke right at the junction of the belt "loop" and back. My Glock almost fell out of the thing when it happened. Into the trash it went.

The bad news is there aren't many low cost options in the concealed & comfortable holster market that I've run into.

The good news is that when you get a high quality holster that delivers both concealment and comfort.....you may be set for as long as you care to carry that weapon.

SGaither

Look up Gear Craft Holsters, Cooks Holsters and Blackpoint Holsters.
All of which are made here in Georgia and make what you’re asking for.

transfixer

[QUOTE="

The good news is that when you get a high quality holster that delivers both concealment and comfort.....you may be set for as long as you care to carry that weapon.[/QUOTE]

It does more or less boil down to why and how you are carrying, if its for personal protection on a fairly regular basis, then you need to choose a quality holster you can count on, just like you chose the weapon that goes in it. For daily concealed carry I won't use cheap holsters, if I'm rambling in the woods with a pistol other than my carry guns, I may use a cheap kydex owb or drop leg holster, the holster should fit the use, just as the weapon should.

Darkhorse

Seven or so years ago, can't rightly remember, I bought my S&W 40 compact to be my carry gun. I'm a lefty so any purchase entails a lot of research, so I bought a Fobus as a stopgap. I liked it from the beginning and it gets more carry time than my IWB I bought later.
It's easy to clip on a belt and go hop on the tractor. Or go feed the horses. It still hasn't broken even though I wear it doing some hard chores.
For a use like concealed carry or work around the house and land I like a Kydex because it's easy to reholster.
A Kydex will wear more finish off the pistol than a leather or nylon holster so be forewarned.
For the woods I have a collection of leather holsters for the SBH and Single Six. Currently I use a set I had made for each pistol, both in basketweave with a thumbbreak and slots for both conventional wear and crossdraw.
It's hard to beat a good leather holster.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I agree it is hard to beat leather for carry. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I use all 3 that have been mentioned. Kydex can be rough on your "tool"...leather can hold a little moisture...and certainly padded nylon will...all of which can be rough on a firearm finish....give and take is everywhere it seems.

krizia829

What's your application...is this for when you're out in the field as a "snake" gun or for concealed carry? I have found if I'm in the field I most always have a pack on and a gun on my hip just doesn't work well or if I'm in my stand seat...it's in the way. I have gone to a chest rig if wearing a pack...don't even know it's there. Got it from GS holsters out of wasilla Alaska. About $70
It's more for the range and hunting small game. Got a laser mounted on the rail that has worked out pretty good for me. It's not for personal protection, just for fun and small game hunting mainly. Which is why I don't really want to spend much. I actually got a local guy that can make me one for $40

krizia829

I wanted a couple of nice weatherproof models for use for CCW when riding the mountain bike, fishing & etc.

Most of the time, though, I use leather options from Milt Sparks. There is a reason their Criterion, Nexus and VersaMaxII holsters are so popular. They perform very, very well. That being said....I've come home before and unholstered my G19 and found the leather was saturated.....doesn't happen like this on normal everyday carry....but, in extreme cases.

Finally settled in with excellent kydex holsters from Raven Concealment. Secure retention, comfort, weatherproof, etc, etc. They are not cheap, but they are very well made. Sadly....I had to come to these after first going the el cheap route.

Initially tried some ebay kydex and another low cost version bought direct from the maker. I regretted these. Money wasted. Flimsy construction that failed at the seems.

The one the so called maker produced was dangerous....the gun could not be removed from the holster once I slid it into it the very first time. I kid you not. I had to dismantle the thing to get the gun out....which voided his so-called warranty. Never again.

I wouldn't give away a Fobus holster. Had one that broke right at the junction of the belt "loop" and back. My Glock almost fell out of the thing when it happened. Into the trash it went.

The bad news is there aren't many low cost options in the concealed & comfortable holster market that I've run into.

The good news is that when you get a high quality holster that delivers both concealment and comfort.....you may be set for as long as you care to carry that weapon.
wow!! you've had quite the experience with different models! lol! yeah I get what you're saying, it's very true. Sometimes it's just better to spend the money once. Even if it hurts your wallet.

Reactions: Dub

660griz

Anyone know where I can find a kydex holster for my Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Compact that will not break the bank? I can't seem to find any! A Blackhawk Serpa style holster would be fine as well. Doesn't matter if it's IWB or OWB.. I don't want nylon or leather.. Thank you!!
X2 on FOBUS. I have one for my G29 and my M&P Shield. Love em.

Dub

wow!! you've had quite the experience with different models! lol! yeah I get what you're saying, it's very true. Sometimes it's just better to spend the money once. Even if it hurts your wallet.

Naw....I'm just an old opinionated guy on a tight budget. That means I study up before spending any money on something.

I'll do without something instead of buying junk stuff.

Don't get me wrong...there are some budget holsters of good quality out there.....but I'll never buy certain ones again due to bad personal experiences.

I'd rather wait and save up for known high quality gear.

Last edited:

Capt Quirk

Naw....I'm just an old opinionated guy on a tight budget. That means I study up before spending any money on something.

I'll do without something instead of buying junk stuff.

Don't get me wrong...there are some budget holsters of good quality out there.....but I'll never buy certain ones again due to bad personal experiences.

I'd rather wait and save up for known high quality gear.
A little OT, but how is that rifle sling working for you?

Reactions: Dub

Dub

A little OT, but how is that rifle sling working for you?

Howdy, boss.

You are probably gonna shake yer head..............but I've not even pulled either rifle outa the safe to mount the scopes and try out the sling. Zero hunting on the forecast this year.

Still recovering from the new disc....and don't trust myself to trod through the woods and use my climber.

Crazy as it sounds....I have backed out of numerous hunting opportunities this season.

I hate it.

Still knocking down 13+ hour workdays and marathon workweeks.....but ruint by the time a day off arrives.

Hoping for some smoother sailing next year. i have some new guns that need to get some saddle time int he woods.

Dub

Another kydex maker is StealthgearUSA.

They make a hybrid holster that I've really enjoyed. Things feels very comfortable and even a heavy/bulky gun like this 18+1 Sig P226 (my carry gun today) disappear on your hip. You'll forget it's there.

The backing is made of cool mesh fabric that breathes really well.

Being an OWB holster + the wide spaced wings ad tremendous comfort level.