Lake Lanier History Photos

DannyW

It was truly a different place back then. Almost all the land bought for the lake was about as rural as you could get. It is difficult to relate to compared to development around the lake today. The COE bought about 56,000 acres on average $30 per acre. This involved about 700 individual properties. I made this video about 25 years ago which goes into more detail.
Lake Lanier Construction - YouTube

Nice video, enjoyed it. I do take exception to one part though...they did not cut all the trees to 35' below the surface. They left plenty of standing timber. We used to fish for crappie around them back in the early to mid 60's. And I remember a memorable winter day around 1972 when me and a friend caught several nice bass on shiners off a visible tree maybe 6 feet under the surface about 200 yards straight out from the dam.

Thanks for posting.

natureman

Nice video, enjoyed it. I do take exception to one part though...they did not cut all the trees to 35' below the surface. They left plenty of standing timber. We used to fish for crappie around them back in the early to mid 60's. And I remember a memorable winter day around 1972 when me and a friend caught several nice bass on shiners off a visible tree maybe 6 feet under the surface about 200 yards straight out from the dam.

Thanks for posting.

Good catch. As it was explained to me many trees that should have been cut were not due to the lake filling up faster than anticipated. Back in the winter of 1982 the lake went down to the mid 1050s msl. I recall going out and working with a team that cut many of the remaining trees in high traffic areas off near that level.

RegularJoe

Many thanks Natureman for alllllll the above.
My family and i were regularly sailing the Lake back in '82 and remember the low water well ...
thanks for your " submarine lumberjackin' " back then ...
it was an important safety project you provided for all who plied the wonderful waters.
On another note, whenever the 50 year anniversary was for the Power Station
(my guess/recollection is long about 2006-2008?)
the Corp. of Engineers provided a tour of the facilities for the public.
We were able to attend and will always fondly remember having done so with thanks to the Corp.

Last edited:

natureman

Many thanks Natureman for alllllll the above.
My family and i were regularly sailing the Lake back in '82 and remember the low water well ...
thanks for your " submarine lumberjackin' " back then ...
it was an important safety project you provided for all who plied the wonderful waters.
On another note, whenever the 50 year anniversary was for the Power Station
(my guess/recollection is long about 2006-2008?)
the Corp. of Engineers provided a tour of the facilities for the public.
We were able to attend and will always fondly remember have done so with thanks to the Corp.
I remember the 50th anniversary very well. Only a handful of people got that tour due to post 9/11 security protocols. You couldn't tell it but security was really tight with plainclothes LE sprinkled in with the tour groups. Myself, another park ranger and the superintendent led most of the tours.

Last edited:

RegularJoe

Holy Smokes "Nat..." Thanks for the link ...
those pics are historically enlightening and really importantly archived.
It helps me further appreciate the lake.
There are times i wander on up to the old "Upper Overlook," look at the old core sample still (thankfully) on display with the explanation plaque and wonder how all this came to be. For me, your link offers a wide spectrum on new understanding.
Questions: There is a Group on the social media platform entitled "NextDoor," by the name of "Lake Lanier Life" ( https://nextdoor.com/g/rssr88urs/?is=nav_bar ). These are folks that love the lake.
Is it legally allowable for me to post your link on that site?
If so, then is it okay with you for me to do so?

natureman

Holy Smokes "Nat..." Thanks for the link ...
those pics are historically enlightening and really importantly archived.
It helps me further appreciate the lake.
There are times i wander on up to the old "Upper Overlook," look at the old core sample still (thankfully) on display with the explanation plaque and wonder how all this came to be. For me, your link offers a wide spectrum on new understanding.
Questions: There is a Group on the social media platform entitled "NextDoor," by the name of "Lake Lanier Life" ( https://nextdoor.com/g/rssr88urs/?is=nav_bar ). These are folks that love the lake.
Is it legally allowable for me to post your link on that site?
If so, then is it okay with you for me to do so?
Glad that you enjoyed the photos. You can post my link. U.S. government works are in the public domain (i.e., not protected by the U.S. Copyright Act).

Last edited:

RegularJoe

Posted the link as per above. Thank you.

RegularJoe

Btw, Nat, the full color wildlife photos interspersed on the last 2 pages, make me (righteously) proud to be part of 'the creation.' Love the close up detail.