Lake Sinclair Catfishing with Grandkids

tdenton

My grandkids and I are about to spend a few days at Lake Sinclair starting this weekend. We have a boat. Hope to put them on some catfish. Any suggestions? I have shrimp and chicken livers. Where are the cats this time of year? Any luck near the dam? Does water have to be moving? Day or night? Best baits? Any help appreciated.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve never fished Sinclair but fish for catfish pretty often on West Point . I usually have the best luck with cut bait . But I’d try what you Have , maybe some worms also . I usually have the best luck this time of the year fishing in the main channel in the feeder creeks . And don’t be afraid to move around if you aren’t getting bit pretty quick . Good luck

sleepr71

We catch them all over,on everything from red wigglers,to hot dog chunks,and cut bait. We catch the bigger fish on cut bait..Always! I would not worry about fish in certain locations, as we seem to catch them, no matter where we go. I honestly think there are too many catfish in Sinclair..and they are thinning out the Sunfish population…

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My grandkids and I are about to spend a few days at Lake Sinclair starting this weekend. We have a boat. Hope to put them on some catfish. Any suggestions? I have shrimp and chicken livers. Where are the cats this time of year? Any luck near the dam? Does water have to be moving? Day or night? Best baits? Any help appreciated.
Make up a couple dozen noodles and toss them out in an area that you can keep up with them . The grandkids will have a blast and chances are you’ll have more catfish than you want to clean . Oh and share some pictures with us

baddave

I only go to Oconee but a hard bottom is preferred for us. I can usually tell by my depth finder. 10 20 ft deep. Sometimes bottom Sometimes not.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cut bait. Anything from shiner minnows to bream, or whatever.

HermanMerman

If you have time to do so, cruise around first thing in the morning and look for an area with an active mayfly hatch. I left the dock last summer around this time of year about an hour before daylight… the lake was like a whirlpool. I swear every catfish in the lake was in that one creek smashing mayflies on the surface.

Big7

The Oracle
We catch them all over,on everything from red wigglers,to hot dog chunks,and cut bait. We catch the bigger fish on cut bait..Always! I would not worry about fish in certain locations, as we seem to catch them, no matter where we go. I honestly think there are too many catfish in Sinclair..and they are thinning out the Sunfish population…
They will do that in an old lake for sure.
Flatheads, Blues and larger Channel Cat eat a BUNCH of Sunfish. It would be better on the Sunfish if they have a healthy population of Threadfin Shad.

Liver works good if you just want to rack up on some eating size fish for the table or freezer.

Live Suckers, Hornyheads, Chubs and about anything you catch in minnow trap will get the larger fish, especially Flatheads.

Live Threadfin and Brim are the best for biger fish IMO, unless you already have a population of Blueback Herring to catch with a cast net. YOU DON'T WANT TO INTRODUCE BLUEBACKS IF THEY ARE NOT ALREADY THERE.

I don't use Shrimp in freshwater but they are easy to fish with as long as you keep them cold.

Long story short, I'd stay with chicken liver for the numbers. A SHARP knife or single edge razor is your friend. They will stay on better if they are not mangled.

Last edited: