Last day to apply for Iowa tags or points.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Hey guys today is the last day to put in for that coveted Iowa deer tag or to buy a preference point. Not a cheap thing, but if you wanna play in the Hawkeye state you gotta have the points to draw the tag. Me and my best friend have 4 points and hoping to draw in zone 6. Go get that point.......

Jim Boyd

Great heads up!

Sitting on 6 points.

Waiting on retirement so I can do an unhurried Illinois / Iowa trip.

2025 most likely - before I get too old to get it done.

Good luck all!

mike1225

I've got 5 points. I'm just waiting on the right opportunity.

Jim Boyd

I've got 5 points. I'm just waiting on the right opportunity.

Partnership for 2025?

Probably smart to get 4 guys, everyone puts in $2500.

We take the $10k and find a farm.

Two windows - say 25 October to 5 November and then 6 November to 16 November.

Two guys on farm at the time.

I would gladly take either window.

Then after 2025 - add two guys to the group and we have 3 groups of two that plan to hunt every 3rd year.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
After the debacle that was a failed move to Iowa several years back and the horrible experience with the Iowa DNR and Iowa government that caused us to miss a full season and sell the newly built house and farm, I wrote off Iowa forever and said I would never give them another dime.

Well I guess I lied to myself and went ahead and bought a point. Have 2 now because I still had one before moving up there and when I went back to a non-res it carried over.

Jim Boyd

After the debacle that was a failed move to Iowa several years back and the horrible experience with the Iowa DNR and Iowa government that caused us to miss a full season and sell the newly built house and farm, I wrote off Iowa forever and said I would never give them another dime.

Well I guess I lied to myself and went ahead and bought a point. Have 2 now because I still had one before moving up there and when I went back to a non-res it carried over.

Smart, I think.

Just hold your nose to the stench and dive in.

I’m gonna go up in 2025 after the corn goes in and spend a week and work to find a decent farm.

I am gonna want a private farm direct with the landowner.

South of 80 and east of 35 - that will put me fairly close to Charlie’s place in west central Illinois.

I’m gonna look for for the VFW’s, ELK’s etc and find out when they have a cookout, fish fry etc. Go in and buy a round for the house and start chatting!

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Smart, I think.

Just hold your nose to the stench and dive in.

I’m gonna go up in 2025 after the corn goes in and spend a week and work to find a decent farm.

I am gonna want a private farm direct with the landowner.

South of 80 and east of 35 - that will put me fairly close to Charlie’s place in west central Illinois.

I’m gonna look for for the VFW’s, ELK’s etc and find out when they have a cookout, fish fry etc. Go in and buy a round for the house and start chatting!
I really like the way you think! :cheers:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Got my 2nd....will be back next yr. Yall keep on waiting 5 or 6. :D I'm pretty content with my every 3rd yr spot

Jim Boyd

Got my 2nd....will be back next yr. Yall keep on waiting 5 or 6. :D I'm pretty content with my every 3rd yr spot

I hope you as often as you want.

When I get ready to go, I want there to be zero debate about the permit.

Have not purchased one in several years….. I’m just waiting.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I hope you as often as you want.

When I get ready to go, I want there to be zero debate about the permit.

Have not purchased one in several years….. I’m just waiting.
I can't go as often as I want..... Legally anyway!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
What zone and weapon are you getting a tag for every 3yrs?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
What kind of success y’all have in every 3 year spot ?
Very good for me. 2 outta 3. I Set a 140 minimum. Had a couple chances at marginal deer the 1 yr I didn't tag. Killed a 148 and a 158. Bow . Been all over the Midwest. Seen more 160 to 210 there than I have anywhere else. A local killed a 205 3 days after I left out of a tree I hung a stand in the year I didn't shoot 1.

Blackston

Very good for me. 2 outta 3. I Set a 140 minimum. Had a couple chances at marginal deer the 1 yr I didn't tag. Killed a 148 and a 158. Bow . Been all over the Midwest. Seen more 160 to 210 there than I have anywhere else. A local killed a 205 3 days after I left out of a tree I hung a stand in the year I didn't shoot 1.
I’d say that is VERY good !!!! It’s on my wish list for sure !!! Maybe one day when the youngns is grown lol

mike1225

Partnership for 2025?

Probably smart to get 4 guys, everyone puts in $2500.

We take the $10k and find a farm.

Two windows - say 25 October to 5 November and then 6 November to 16 November.

Two guys on farm at the time.

I would gladly take either window.

Then after 2025 - add two guys to the group and we have 3 groups of two that plan to hunt every 3rd year.
I didn't draw Kansas this year so I should get a tag in 2024. Probably a slim chance of a Kansas tag in 2025. This might fall right into what you are thinking. I'll look at the area you mentioned. I have only been in zone 4 & 5.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Well...... it only took 5yrs but we drew our tags for zone 6 yesterday. Now to get the plans figured out. I have most of the month of November, but I think we are gonna go Nov 5-12ish and pray for good weather.