Lawn question

No rain here for almost 4 weeks now. I haven't mowed in almost 2 weeks, trying to keep it from burning too badly (and I do mow high). So, my question is this; good chance of rain tomorrow morning, so mow today or after it rains? Which is better for the lawn?

Thanks.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
No rain here for almost 4 weeks now. I haven't mowed in almost 2 weeks, trying to keep it from burning too badly (and I do mow high). So, my question is this; good chance of rain tomorrow morning, so mow today or after it rains? Which is better for the lawn?

Thanks.

Just my opinion, I’d wait to make sure I actually received some rain.

basstrkr

I've waited 4 weeks and still no rain, grass was getting higher and leaves were piling up. I been getting up and mowing at 7:AM, letting what little dew there is help contain the dust. This also gives the grass a few hours to recover before the sun begins to cauterize the cuts.

GoldDot40

What kind of grass? Some grass will trick you. You think it's "burning" in a long period without water. What it's actually doing is going dormant all on it's own to prevent dying. Most will always green up with a watering or rain. I'd cut it dry.

Thanks for the reponses. I went ahead and mowed, not too hot or too sunny today. Once mowed, it looks more green, at least for now.... Come on rain!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Must be nice to have a good chance of rain. Around the ATL we've got an excellent chance of it being hot and dry for the next couple weeks anyhow

Must be nice to have a good chance of rain. Around the ATL we've got an excellent chance of it being hot and dry for the next couple weeks anyhow

Our forecast, other then a chance tomorrow, is the same. Forecast for a week from today, next Wednesday, is for 95* facepalm:

zedex

Gator Bait
I wish we had warm and dry weather. We are about 3 weeks into wet winter... it'll be this way for about 2 months then freezing winter for a few months and back to wet for a few months....
Anyone want to trade?

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
If you’ve got County/City water even with a watering ban or restrictions, I’d water it. The water bill and a fine is less expensive than replacing a lawn, even if you do it yourself considering labor and materials.

I’ve had a $200.00 water bill before doing it. :bounce:

BeerThirty

Can bermudagrass die if it doesn't rain? I don't water my grass, and it's looking very familiar to how it looks in mid-winter when it's dormant.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Can bermudagrass die if it doesn't rain? I don't water my grass, and it's looking very familiar to how it looks in mid-winter when it's dormant.

Like GoldDot40 said, it can go semi dormant when stressed in heat and the lack of water. Bermuda is one grass that recovers very well from many conditions, it’s tough, even hard to kill completely.

ChanceHill

It's so dry here that I have distinct lines between live and dormant grass at the edge of where my sprinklers hit. And the birds keep coming to the back door and asking me to refill the bird baths.