Learned a lesson about classifieds

PCNative

Does anybody else have trouble with folks after posting something for sale in the classifieds? I've posted things for sale several times and had people agree to terms and price and just not show up at the meet. 45 minute drive one-way and an hour wait this morning, no call, no message to explain and not answering my calls. It's OK if you change your mind, just let somebody know. I also had several prospective buyers contact me after this person and I settled on a deal and I informed them the Item was sold. Learned a lesson there I guess.

naildrvr

Someone on the forum said that people are the dumbest humans.... Or something along that line. I've sold a few things on Facebook marketplace and have had the same results as you have experienced. People don't mind wasting your time.

SarahFair

If they want it bad enough they will come to you or pay shipping.
You don't have to meet at your house, but somewhere close enough so it doesn't inconvenience you too much if they dont show.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have moved this thread here to the Campfire where it can be at peace as the discussion thread that it is. It came from the On Topic Fourm which is for seeking answers to specific questions and not general discussions.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Yup, been there done that. It's infuriating to say the least. But, it's just the nature of the beast...

snuffy

Yep drove 40 minutes to meet a guy who had a gun for sale. He didn't show up or answer his phone.
Called me that night and said he decided to go hunting and had his phone turned off. Wanted to know if I still wanted the gun!

Can't post my response on here.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I've bought and sold things on the classifieds and never had a problem. Folks met and were on time every time.

ugajay

Had a baby end up in the hospital on a day I was supposed to meet someone over a Ruger 7mm mag. Got a dirty message. It usually works out but sometimes it don't.

Worley

I may regret saying this after I post something else for sale, but never had nothing but positive experiences, and met some really good people along the way. I always tell them to text me when they are leaving, I never drive far to complete a deal either.

Doboy Dawg

I may regret saying this after I post something else for sale, but never had nothing but positive experiences, and met some really good people along the way. I always tell them to text me when they are leaving, I never drive far to complete a deal either.
Good idea, I drove 7 hours down into South Florida to buy some clean steel I beams, listed on FB Marketplace, to go in my shop.

The guy had one clean beam he had taken a photo of from different angles. All of the other beams had heavy steel brackets welded every 18”down both sides of the beams and plenty of hasty torch cuts.

I was going to buy eight clean 25’ beams, he had one. It would have taken three days, a fresh torch setup with full tanks, dozens of grinder wheels, to cut all those brackets off. What the guy had was basically scrap steel.

I wouldn’t even offer him scrap prices. I spent over $100 in diesel and came home with a empty trailer.

I drove to Jacksonville a few months ago to buy a “running outboard”. It wouldn’t start, I checked the compression which was low. It also wasn’t getting any spark. The guy says, it ran last week :ROFLMAO: I didn’t buy it either.

Shadow11

Never felt comfortable enough to try it here. I've made a couple of buys from offer up that turned out ok.

I haven't used ebay in a few yrs, but used them a lot beforehand. It got to the point where the scammers could sell you a 10 dollar tool, but send you a 50 cent toy coloring book, and your only option was to pay 12 bucks to ship it back for a refund. Ebay always sided with the scam seller.

I've just about quit all of the online stuff. I'm about ready to cancel amazon as well. Drunk drivers.

I have had excellent experiences myself never an issue. Might have one tomorrow but so far so good.. wish there was a way you have to be a member here and have a certain number of post and verified before you’re allowed to post there. Having that classified is a privilege and shouldn’t be abused

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I’ll share one of the bad experiences from back when we had the swap and sell as a forum.
I posted an antique farm implement for sale. I was quickly contacted by a member who says consider it sold. I explained that the item was at another property 35 miles from my home. He says I’ll meet you there at xx time on Saturday. I amended the ad to say sold pending.
Saturday comes no call, no show, no answer to my call.
Then 2-3 days later he calls with a sad story and apologizes.
I took pity on him and gave him another chance. Repeat of the above scenario exactly.
He never tried to apologize that time either by phone or message on here.

Lucky for him I have forgotten his user name or I would probably post it in this thread.

I have had experiences of both extremes , not this forum but a Florida forum . Drove south 45 minutes to meet a guy coming up from Miami to make the location easier for him , peach of a fellow , wanted to know family history , even texted me a pic of an Indianan deer he took with the rifle I sold him .
Second experience was also guy from south Florida , drove 45 minutes south , no one there, called the dude , he said he changed his mind . He knew I was driving south because I texted him when I left the house !