Learning as I Go

APPierce0628

I've been bowhunting for about six years now, and it's been quite interesting from my point of view. I have had a poor record of recovery vs. loss of deer in those six years for multiple reasons. However, I realized one of the more prominent issues I've had and that is anatomy of the animal. I have always aimed three or so inches behind the "shoulder" of the deer, and between 1/3 and 1/2 the way up the body of the deer. Well after wounding more deer than I care to admit, I started reading all that I could on shot placement. Over and over I read to shoot a deer behind the shoulder, but it wasn't until I saw a diagram of a deer's skeletal structure, as posted by members of this forum, that I realized how far back I was aiming as opposed to the area most call the shoulder (the area to avoid). Well my mentality changed somewhat this year and I awaited an opportunity to shoot a deer a little farther forward than previous. Well, I saw a doe on Monday and she was ever so slightly quartering away from me and so I aimed for a farther forward exit and released the arrow. The shot looked good, and she took off full sprint. Ran about 60 yards, stopped, wobbled, and fell down. I was excited to see her go down, as this was only the second deer I have watched fall. Most of the stuff I learn about hunting comes from the fine people on this forum who have much more experience than I, and I appreciate the ones who are always willing to help. :cheers:

Where the shot exited:

And entered:

Attachments

• IMG_20151012_10734.jpg
    IMG_20151012_10734.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20151012_21102.jpg
    IMG_20151012_21102.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 384

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Good shot!

NugeForPres

Good work! Believe me, I learn new things with every encounter. I think that's part of why what we do is so special. Congratulations!

Kris87

That's a great shot young man. I remember talking with you just a few years back when you were first getting started and you were thirsty for information. You've turned into a fine bowhunter. Good job Andrew!!

APPierce0628

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I'm trying my best to get in the woods and get some deer on the ground this year since it is likely my last year of hunting before I go off to college. I won't have near as much time to hunt if I go off to college as I hope. I'm always looking for topics on here that I may not be aware of or could learn about. I owe many folks on here a thank you, but I won't name them because there are too many. But I hope to keep advancing my knowledge of these animals and how to hunt them. It's my only hobby in the fall, so I make sure to get as much experience as I can. I will never run out of things to learn about the challenge, and hope I never lose the desire to learn. :flag:

rutnbuk

Awesome arrow placement! Yes we all learn as we go and that never ends! I have learned over many years that the 1-2 seconds prior to releasing the arrow are as valuable as a whole summer of practicing. Settle that pin-exhale-squeeze...it is a beautiful thing to watch em fall- CONGRATS!

countryboy27012

Great read! Moral of the story: never stop learning!!!

Congrats on the nice doe!!!

Jake Allen

That shot was perfect; good job and congratulations!

APPierce0628

Thanks again for the kind words and morale boost. It feels good to start climbing out of a slump. I have made bowhunting my main hobby and have stuck with it because it can be both relaxing and an adrenaline rush, all within a few minutes. I've sought after new hobbies but most of them are a little more dangerous, like riding a motorcycle, so that doesn't go over well with my mom. But I'm truly thankful that I started shooting archery and progressed into bowhunting and have had many great men and women help me learn. There is no substitute for experience, but you all have definitely helped ease the burden that experience may carry. And though I have never met most of you, it feels like I truly know most of you. I'm glad to be part of such a great group of people, and it is satisfying knowing that time I spend on the forum is not always time wasted. I wish you all well and hope you guys will continue to teach me, as I have MUCH left to learn, as we all do.

Mudfeather

Happy for you...learning the anatomy is truly important....a lot of the targets are just wrong.....you are on the right path now.....

pasinthrough

Getting your hands on one is the best part. You're doing great, don't rush things. Just repeat what works and learn from the mistakes you will make. Embrace them for what they are, stepping stones...

No one ever remembers the test questions or task they get right, but the ones you get wrong will make you look them up and study harder. Same goes with hunting and archery.

Keep up the good work, we are all pulling for you!:cheers:

JJhunts

We are all still learning as we go. Ive been lucky not to wound one without recovering it yet so was feeling pretty confident. Wednesday night, in my favorite stand, I hear the coveted crunch crunch. A Deer is approaching. I go to draw on her, an average sized doe, my arrow slips off the rest, Ugh! the doe continues on her way, unaware of me. Another passes, I still have not recovered from my blunder. another appears, I draw down. . . Complete MISS! I under estimated the yardage, hurried a shot. My arrow streaks right under the deer.

Great Deer, we are all learning with you.