Line Hunters and Jerks

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

SouthPaw Draw said:
Like was mentioned before watch out for a setup. What's to keep him from baiting your lease or messing with personal property of your fellow hunters? Sounds like to me nothing is off limits to this guy. Be careful and keep your eye on him.
what SouthPaw said.............I wouldn't trust this guy for a second. :(

Duff

Thomas,

Like you said. Sometimes you just have to get rude with folks to get their attention. I'd give it one more try and if that didn't work, you've got the right idea

reylamb

He deserves it? So far, I have not heard anything stated that the adjoining landowner is doing anything illegal. As such, what can be done? A bunch of childish and sophmoric ideas to ruin his hunting? Hardly the best idea I have heard, and a great way for hunters to help hunters, and great way to promote the GONetwork defending outdoorsmen.

Bait your land and turn him in? A good attorney could get him out of that ticket, surely as he was framed and not doing the actual baiting. Again, a childish idea.

I personally would do 2 things.

First, contact the timber company. I would think they would have an easement on that road that would prevent the adjoining landowner from blocking it off or otherwise changing the road. Let the timber company attornies handle it.

Second, contact the landowner. If you truely feel there is a safety issue it needs to be handled before anyone gets killed, not after the fact. If you are not willing to contact him for safety reasons I have to wonder how much of a risk it really is.

There are 3 ways to handle it, like adults, like children, or ignore it. It is possible the guy is a new hunter and does not know better. It is possible the man has done nothing illegal or will not do anything illegal. It is also possible the man has purchased his own little piece of heaven and is calling your club jerks on other message boards because he is on his land and legal. What would be best for all is to work it out, and discuss the possible safety issues with him now. You may just earn a new hunting buddy over it.

Slug-Gunner

Try to Keep it Legal....

As others have mentioned, I would think the timber company has an easement for the original road that was on your lease and swung onto his property line. It was probably an old logging road when the property may have been under one owner in the past. If this was ever the case then there is an "easement in perpuity" (never ceases).

The best way to proceed is to first go to the local county tax office and look at the tax plats for both properties and determine who the legal owners are. If he is not the legal registered owner and a leasee like you, he has no right to make changes to the property line (fence/cable) without the legal owners written consent.

After looking at the tax plats and obtaining the registered owners names on file, make a trip over to the county records section and look at the survey plats and records. This will show how the ACTUAL PROPERTY LINES RUN and may include EXISTING ROADS or EASEMENTS (shown as dotted lines). Using the tax plat ID #'s and owners names do a search of the records.... it will show the history record of the different owners and also list and show if any EASEMENTS were ever recorded; the dates and legal description of them, and how long they are to exist.

If the timber company has an easement, there will be a separate legal document describing it attached to the files. If an easement exist, you can get a copy of the plats, survey plats, and documents for a small fee (usually from $.25 to $1.00 a page). While there, get a survey plat of your actual lease since it will provide excellent info for your lease club members too and define where your actual property line runs. In many cases the original property lines in very old parcels of land do not follow straight lines, but were made using land marks, trees, creeks or streams that have since been removed or changed or no long exist. This can make determining the actual property line very difficult without an actual survey being done. If one has been done, it should be on file or you can purchase one from the timber company for a few dollars.

Having these records and reviewing them before approaching this other individual will aid you greatly and give you a "common sense" approach to the matter. It will also help you if you ever have any legal disputes with this individual later should he be "hard-headed" about the matter. If there is an easement for the original road, let the timber company attorneys handle it.... this will prevent any bitter or hard feeling against your club members if he incurs any expense in returning the road and property to its original condition (of has to buy the easement back from the timber company - since a new road now exist).

I did some similar research for an elderly disabled lady who had helped me out with daycare and nightcare for my infant son after my divorce about 18 years ago when I really needed it and couldn't afford to pay her cash at the time. I returned the favors by helping her out with repairs, maintenance and legal matters over the years. That's what REAL FRIENDS DO FOR EACH OTHER!

Do things the "smart intelligent way" and do not lower yourself to his "ignorance level". Ignorance is a simple "LACK OF KNOWLEDGE" and can be corrected or changed if done in a sensible, intelligent manner. But as another member has in their signature line - "Stupid is forever."

::; :flag: ::; :D :rolleyes: :D :flag: ::;

OR​

:hammers: :whip: :banginghe :banginghe :whip: :hammers:

reylamb

The more I think about it the more I wonder.............would intentionally setting up a feeder with the sole express purpose to get another hunter fined for hunting over bait fall under the category of harrassing hunters? If so, isn't that against the law also? The more I think about it the more I realize communication is the best way to handle this situation.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I don't think the setting the feeder idea was mentioned to set the guy up for a ticket. I think it was mentioned to make the guy think that we would try to set him up for a ticket and make him move his set up.

I'm not going to pursue this idea. I'm hoping the amount of 4 wheeler traffic is going to make this guy think twice about hunting the are. Like I said before, the look on his face was utterly priceless when I told him we were cutting a road just on the other side of the property line right now. It was honestly perfect timing, because him and the other guy had apparently just finished plowing the road, cabling it, and setting the deer stand up.

They just stood there staring at us for 30 minutes while we cut this new road in. I bet there was a lot of cussing between the two after they left!!!

The landowner is from FL, so I doubt he'll be down all that much, but his buddy is a county local and he's probably going to be the thorn in our side. He never said a word, just stared. The fella from FL lost his attitude when I approached him about the road. I wasn't friendly, but I wasn't rude either. I asked him if I could walk down "his road" so I could assess the situation. I could tell in his facial expressions that he didn't even want me to do that, but he said I could. The other guy just stared. He looked like he wanted to fight. He's the one we're worried about.

I think we're just going to go with the flow at the moment. They're set up isn't going to make us stop using the road. We've already solved that problem within the rules of the lease. No cash crop trees were cut and it's on our side. Hopefully our presence we'll make them pack up and move it on back up in his property.

If this can be solved without involving the timber company or authorites, that's how we want it.

Tommy

Handgunner

Woody's Janitor said:
Delton has a great design for the outhouse!!! :rofl:

Yes I do, care to step behind it with me? :whip: :rofl: ::ke:

Woody's Janitor

Delton, only if no one has used it!!!

Handgunner

Not yet... but soon. :D You said you wanted a stand down here! :huh: :rofl: