Lithium Conversion - Golf Cart

IIICrkRepr

Has anyone converted their cart over to lithium batteries? If so, how do you like it? Pros/Cons Any recommended suppliers/models? They are expensive but the "advertised" benefits would go a long way to make up for it. I am ready to swap my batteries out before season starts and looking at options.

buckmanmike

I need to replace my batteries this fall. I was wanting to raise my voltage from
48 to 72. Im thinking about lithium since it would require a new charger for either. It would require a new controller too to raise voltage. Thats alot of money for 2003 cart.
Buggiesgonewild.com has alot of info about lithium conversions.

earlthegoat2

I drive a lithium battery powered 72V cart at work a lot.

As was said, they just die without warning. We have a charge gauge even but it is not trustworthy.

An advantage I would say is that even with similarly sized batteries, the Li batteries we have weigh maybe 65% of the wet cells.

The biggest advantage is they have a 7 year warranty from the manufacturer.

We ended up getting a charger specially for the Li batteries as well and the plug in and unplug operation is not as smooth since the new charger uses an automotive pigtail style locking plug instead of the EZ-GO on board charger wall plug type interface. This was specific to our setup though but should be researched beforehand.

All that said, I would stick with the old school factory replacements if I were to do it again. Each battery cost $650 dollars (x 6 batts). ROI will take approximately 6 years on our machine vs the wet cells.

buckmanmike

An accurate dash voltage gauge would fix charging times. Lithium batteries have a pretty level discharge pattern. Then when you hit 30% charge they deplete to zero rapidly. Lead acid batteries are considered dead at 50% charge. If you use them at lower than 50% you are damaging thier recharging capacity and life.

IIICrkRepr

After limping through hunting season, it was finally time to make a decision. I ended up going with the 48v Lithium Kit from Big Battery 96Ah / 4.2kWh. Cut the weight to 70lb total. After pulling everything apart I realized the tow mode switch had no way to be plugged into the new system to work correctly. On the old set up, it was wired directly into the battery bank. After watching some videos on youtube, realized everyone else was using a busbar for power distribution so I have one being shipped in today.Li Battery.jpg

LTZ25

I've been seeing ads for new golf carts with lithium batteries from the factory . AGREE it would be a major problem to be a mile from the house and all comes to instant stop . I wonder why remaining charge reader don't work dependably .

buckmanmike

Most voltage readers are accurate. Readers that show % are mostly junk. I'll go to lithium on my next battery replacement. I put in new Trojans FLAs last fall.
Charge your FLA batteries after eveey use. 2 minutes, or 2 hours. Charge them.

IIICrkRepr

Field Report: Installed the batteries 2/14/22, charged them to 48v once, used it around the neighborhood for 4 months, turning off the batteries when not in use. Went to hunt camp Mid June on same charge, spent 2 days driving and hauling corn, cooler, people and gear all over 450 acres, from one end to the other. Finally pushed the volts down to 36 while driving through a huge mud hole where we maxed out the speed and was spinning tires to make it and the amps finally gave out a little while later on way back to trailer. Cart cut off but radio & lights still worked. Got it home, was able to drive the cart off the trailer and around the neighborhood a little before going back on the charger. I was under the mistaken impression that I could run these down till the volt reader on the front of the batteries read 0. After re-reading the instructions, these batteries can be charged to 50.4v, never go over 51V and normal operating range is between 50.4v and 36v. Took about 3 hours to fully charge them from 36v to 50.4v. Have another work weekend coming up in 3 weeks. This time I will arrive with a full charge, I expect I will make it through the entire weekend with no need for charging until I get home.

buckmanmike

About 2 months ago I upgraded my cart. Its a 2003 CC series 48v cart. I had already installed a 700a controller, 6" lift, and 23" tires. Recently I upgraded to Navitas DC to AC system. 600 amp controller and the bigger motor. Cant renember spec for it, but they only make 2 versions of AC motors. I also replaced the wiring harness and installed a run/tow switch. So cart is no longer a series cart. Its an AC sepex cart. Controller limits can be set by cell phone app. Alo has an change on the fly module that adjust accelleration, torque, and top speed.
My cart used to run 15-16 mph. Now Ive had it high as 34 mph and in loose dirt or gravel it will spin the tires. I occaaionally have other people drive my cart, so I set it for max of 22 mph and medium torque. I can key lock this feature and readjust at anytime by unlocking. Another neat feature with the app, you can disable the cart. Controller completely drops out, so if somebody steals it, they would have to push it. App also has a speedometer and batterypack voltage.
I highly recommend if your looking for more fun in your cart. Before going to AC, I thought about raising voltage to 72v. That is no longer needed. I have plenty of torque and speed.
Now, I might need front brakes.

paulito

I'm thinking of replacing my wet cell batteries to lithiums as well. Big battery seems to get really good reviews with easy conversion.

Its a big jump in cost though. kind of hard to justify on a 2006 36v cart.

Last edited:

hipster dufus

I can add a little from my experience w my trolling motor batterys. 3 trips out before i charge, 6- 8 hrs per trip. Charge once they get below 50%. Bluetooth phone app. Like em, would do again. 2 12v 50ah ionics.

REDMOND1858

Just make sure you have good insurance on whatever building you decide to park it in……reading reports daily of more and more lithium powered things burning. Not just golf carts either. Most come down to improper charging and/or improper conversions.

specialk

i'll stick to old school for now, i have the ability to charge my batterys every night no matter where i'm hunting over night....