Living Inside Out

StriperAddict

LIVING INSIDE OUT

It is an extremely common thing in Christianity today for a believer to live “outside in”.

What does that mean?

Once a person receives Christ, they are usually told to begin living a certain way. In other words, they are told behavior modifications and sin management techniques that they must do to represent to the world that they are now a Christian.

It is basically a list of rules and regulations, do’s and dont’s to try to live up to. The basis is that the better they are at performing the list, the more “godly” they will become.

To summarize- proper external behavior leads to more “godliness, righteousness, holiness, and sanctification” internally.

That is living outside in. And it will never lead to peace and joy because you will never know if you’ve behaved good enough to “make it.”

LIVING INSIDE OUT

However, our true life in Christ is just the opposite of that! All through the New Testament we are taught to live “inside out.”

Now, what does that mean?

It means knowing who you are in your innermost being first, the core person that you are in your spirit.

And who are we in our spirit?

The believer’s spirit (the core person that we truly are) is joined with the Holy Spirit of God. Spiritually, we are ONE Spirit with God in the same way a husband and wife become One flesh. 1 Cor 6:17

Our human spirit joins together with the Holy Spirit of God. The two become one.

Why does this matter?

Because it means that who we are is determined by the condition of our spirit, and since we are joined with His Spirit and are one with Him, our characteristics are the same as His!

And those characteristics include the following: we are righteous, we are holy, we are godly, we are already seated in heaven with Christ, we are light, we are complete, we are perfect in Him, and many more!

Take notice that most of the New Testament books begin with reminding Christians of these facts; telling believers who they are first, so that knowing who we are will translate into a dependence upon the Holy Spirit we are joined to so that the life of Christ Himself will be expressed in and through our bodies.

Knowing who we are matches with who Christ is in us allows us to trust our heart that is joined with Christ so that we can be ourselves! We don’t have to try to perform to earn. We already are by HIS doing (not our doing), so we can rest and have Christ live through us!

Knowing the truth of our union with Christ sets us free to live out who we are in Him.

That’s living inside out!

Remember who you are Christian, trust His life in you, then go be yourself to the world around you.

StriperAddict

"One passage I am asked about almost more than any other is Colossians 3:12-14, where we are told to “put on . . . compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience . . . and above all these put on love.” I misunderstood and misapplied this passage for years, and it kept me chained to the treadmill of always needing to try harder. I used to read this and say to myself, Yikes, this is everything I am not . . . I have a lot of work to do. I envisioned myself putting on all these qualities like clothes, covering up the real me and hoping the qualities would change me from the outside in. If I could just act differently long enough, I might have a chance. After all, I knew Ralph Waldo Emerson’s advice: “Sow an act, reap a habit; sow a habit and reap a character.” With due respect to Ralph, this passage means exactly the opposite.

Note how this passage describes us: “God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved” (3:12). I already am something I could never make myself—a new creation! I am to let this new creation come to the surface, like a beautiful new wardrobe, so people can see it. I discard and put off those things that are inconsistent with who I am and I put on those things that are now true of me. I am not trying to put on something I am not; I am trying to live in accordance with who I am. This requires a miracle of God in me, and in the gospel it has become reality! "

Laying It Down - Living in The Freedom of The Gospel
Bill Tell

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
LIVING INSIDE OUT

It is an extremely common thing in Christianity today for a believer to live “outside in”.

What does that mean?

Once a person receives Christ, they are usually told to begin living a certain way. In other words, they are told behavior modifications and sin management techniques that they must do to represent to the world that they are now a Christian.

It is basically a list of rules and regulations, do’s and dont’s to try to live up to. The basis is that the better they are at performing the list, the more “godly” they will become.

To summarize- proper external behavior leads to more “godliness, righteousness, holiness, and sanctification” internally.

That is living outside in. And it will never lead to peace and joy because you will never know if you’ve behaved good enough to “make it.”

LIVING INSIDE OUT

However, our true life in Christ is just the opposite of that! All through the New Testament we are taught to live “inside out.”

Now, what does that mean?

It means knowing who you are in your innermost being first, the core person that you are in your spirit.

And who are we in our spirit?

The believer’s spirit (the core person that we truly are) is joined with the Holy Spirit of God. Spiritually, we are ONE Spirit with God in the same way a husband and wife become One flesh. 1 Cor 6:17

Our human spirit joins together with the Holy Spirit of God. The two become one.

Why does this matter?

Because it means that who we are is determined by the condition of our spirit, and since we are joined with His Spirit and are one with Him, our characteristics are the same as His!

And those characteristics include the following: we are righteous, we are holy, we are godly, we are already seated in heaven with Christ, we are light, we are complete, we are perfect in Him, and many more!

Take notice that most of the New Testament books begin with reminding Christians of these facts; telling believers who they are first, so that knowing who we are will translate into a dependence upon the Holy Spirit we are joined to so that the life of Christ Himself will be expressed in and through our bodies.

Knowing who we are matches with who Christ is in us allows us to trust our heart that is joined with Christ so that we can be ourselves! We don’t have to try to perform to earn. We already are by HIS doing (not our doing), so we can rest and have Christ live through us!

Knowing the truth of our union with Christ sets us free to live out who we are in Him.

Remember who you are Christian, trust His life in you, then go be yourself to the world around you.

Reminds me of something I was told recently. "True peace only comes from an active, continual desire to live in God's will because one WANTS to, not because he HAS to, or NEEDS to.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
It means knowing who you are in your innermost being first, the core person that you are in your spirit./QUOTE]...(and who you are in Christ).

This is golden truth right here.