Loaded Magazine Storage

dj50

What are your thoughts on how long you can store a loaded magpul pmag magazine? I don’t see why they can’t be stored that way for many years. Does anyone have any experiences to the contrary? I’m considering loading all of mine. Thanks for your opinions.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never had any issues.

simpleman30

All of mine stay loaded and I cycle through them each time I go shooting. Never had an issue.

Reactions: Dub

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Had a military friend tell me how long they could leave loaded mags, but I can't remember ?? Know this really helps . .

Dub

I've got some of the older generation 30rd PMAGS that have been topped off with .223/5.56 rounds for several years.

Related/unrelated....there are some 1911 mags in a couple spots at home that have been loaded for way longer. (y)

Never had a problem with either case.....

doomtrpr_z71

If they have the dust cover, for a lifetime. If it's a gen2 without a dustcover for a lifetime as well if you don't drop it loaded on its feed lips. There's pictures online of one that was loaded for 5 years and there was no difference between it and a new mag.

sleepr71

I don’t load mine to max round count. If it’s a 10 round mag..I’ll store it with 8-9 in it.30 rounders I do 27-28. It’s just my thing,and it seems to save them. I’ve heard how polymer mag feed lips can crack,or soften in hot weather & cause feed issues. I’ve left some of them stored (inside) like this for years.

Nimrod71

Springs will weaken over time. How long do you plan on keeping them loaded, one year, 10 years, 30 years? Magazines will last a long time, I have some from WW II that work fine, but they have not been kept loaded for 75 years either. I would advise to load only what you think you may need and change out every 6 months.

chuckdog

I only have two or maybe three AR mags to worry over.

Why would anyone keep them loaded now ?

;)

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

I don’t load mine to max round count. If it’s a 10 round mag..I’ll store it with 8-9 in it.30 rounders I do 27-28. It’s just my thing,and it seems to save them. I’ve heard how polymer mag feed lips can crack,or soften in hot weather & cause feed issues. I’ve left some of them stored (inside) like this for years.
Yep, I read a study they did that said loading a magazine just one or two rounds short could more than double spring life.

bullgator

I only have two or maybe three AR mags to worry over.

Why would anyone keep them loaded now ?

;)
I need to buy another one......so I’ll have as many as you.....:wink:

Dub

Ole Slow Joe is fittin' to try making mags mighty expensive to buy....and to hang onto.
$200 tax stamp per mag.....yeah buddy.

Gotta love a stolen election and all that comes with it.

transfixer

I don't have a ton of AR mags, maybe 20 or so for .223/.300bo, and probably 15 or so for 7.62x39, but I never keep more than 3 or 4 loaded for each caliber, I know a couple people that have in excess of 100 AR mags , probably a good investment considering the current Administration, almost all of my mags have steel feed lips, so in theory how long they are loaded shouldn't matter, I've heard of and seen pics of polymer mag feed lips cracking or splitting , makes sense to me they would flex more than steel feed lips though.

zedex

Gator Bait
Metal fatigue is my concern. Spring steel can, and does, fatigue. I dont know how long it takes.
The only mag I store loaded us a 10/22 box. They are cheap and easily replaced. And I have a number of them.

It doesn't take long to load a mag anyway, except the drums for the GSG-16.

The stripper clips for the SKS can hold 5 rounds off the springs and here, the mag is pinned to 5 rounds so I guess you could say I have 14 clips loaded