Self Defense Magazine loads.

JR924

I got a 1934 Beretta 380 ACP built in 1939. Thinking I should not use P + loads due to age of pistol and I want it to last. Saw this on the Buffalo Bore website for standard pressure 380 ACP loads they are selling.

" If you like the idea of the extra big hole this expanding load makes in human flesh, we would advise that you load this bullet (jacketed hollow point) in your chamber, followed by a magazine full of our non-expanding loads (hardcast flat nose)." (https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=57)

I guess the question is for those that carry 380 ACP pistols. I bought some Magtech ammo for plinking but thinking of loading the Buffalo Bore jacketed hollow point followed by all hard cast flat nose bullets as they recommend. What ammo manf. and ammo type do you guys load your pistols with? What is your logic? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I use Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm and Federal HST in .38 SPL and Corbon DPX +P in .45ACP

Reactions: Dub

bighonkinjeep

In a G42 I load Cor bon 90gr JHP but its +p and hot. I dont carry it much anymore. Dont think I'd try it in a 1932 model anything. If I owned a 1932 model Beretta it would probably see little useage besides plinking with a more modern pistol in 9mm taking its place for personal defense. Right now in my case thats a Sig 365 with the 12 round mag loaded with Federal 124gr HST.

fauxferret

Federal Short Barrel HST. I don't think they are +P never saw a marking on them saying they were. If I remember correctly the founder of Buffalo Bore never carries with an expanding round in his personal firearm. I believe he is a die hard of the hard cast large meplat type of round. I would also say anything by speer is pretty good as well. Gold Dot has been the bullet many are compared too historically. Granted a 380 isn't the best gun to have in a defensive scenario, but a 380 in had beats a 44 at home.

Dub

A couple things come to mind here...

I don't know how their current stuff is....but several years back I chrono'd some Buffalo Bore 10mm loads and found them well below their advertised velocity. In the same G20, however, I found that both Underwood & DoubleTap loads met or slightly exceeded their advertised velocities for the loads I chrono'd.

I'm not saying I'll never carry a .380, because once in a blue moon I'll slip my wife's LCP in a pocket....just because. I've been leaving fmj loads in it as @Robert28 stated. Figure the light & slow bullets need all the help they can get to penetrate to vitals and turn out the lights on an assailant. I reserve the right to be wrong, way wrong....but it is my current thinking on the matter.

The easily pocketed P365 has proven highly reliable and able to shoot anything I've fed through it with zero trouble.....including Federal 9BPLE +P+ loads.

I can understand the nostalgia of having an old classic. Fun to own, tinker with, clean, study and shoot it. When it comes to carry, though...I want something that will hold up to frequent high count range sessions and be vetted in my paws, with my eyesight, on my targets to be effective and completely reliable.

That means proper cleaning, lube, maintenance (new springs, etc).

Heck, my favorite carry guns are built off 100+ year old specs & designs. They are of modern manufacturing, though.....and used as often as I can do so. For any solution that requires a gun....I see the 1911 as the solution. :rofl: I'm warped that way.

Last edited:

Robert28

I’m glad others have had better success with 380 handguns than I have. Lord knows I’ve owned more than my share in the past but could never 100% trust them to feed my favorite hollow points (Gold Dots). If you don’t feed my Gold Dots reliably, down the road you go. I also couldn’t hit squat with those little pistols to save my life, that was another reason they all got gone.

transfixer

I don't think I'd want to shoot +p rounds in a gun that old, I'd choose regular pressure rounds, if you want to run HP's ? I would suggest running a couple mags through it with the hp's you want to use, to make sure it doesn't hang up , if it doesn't ? then you should be fine,

I have a 2nd Gen lcp that I carry on occassion, and I carry Hornady xtp's or Liberty Civil Defense hp's in it, it runs them flawlessly, I'm not worry about the penetration, from my experience the xtp's don't really expand much at all anyway, so they will penetrate, and the civil defense rounds are moving very fast, and are a copper and aluminum/tin coated round, if I had to use the 380 I'm going to empty half a mag before I re-assess anyway,

Dub

I’m glad others have had better success with 380 handguns than I have. Lord knows I’ve owned more than my share in the past but could never 100% trust them to feed my favorite hollow points (Gold Dots). If you don’t feed my Gold Dots reliably, down the road you go. I also couldn’t hit squat with those little pistols to save my life, that was another reason they all got gone.

Yep.

They don't do much for me, either.

There are many high functioning smallish 9mm on the market that get my vote.

The other problem I frequently see with .380 is that people simply don't practice with them enough to ever develop proficiency. Ammo cost & availability is a hurdle that owners of 9mm pocket rockets don't have to fight.

rosewood

I didn't think there was even a rating for 380 +P?? Don't think I have ever seen it either.

I carry the Hornady Critical Defense in both 380 and 38 special. Looking at the FBI inspired ballistics testing Lucky Gunner did on various handgun cartridges, the Critical Defense has the best overall performance in those sub calibers. When it comes to 9mm and up, I am happy with XTPs or Gold Dots.

The LCP max is the pocket pistol when hip carry isn't an option or I am going somewhere where I will have to take it off quickly.

Rosewood

transfixer

I suppose I differ from most, as I don't stress over maximum penetration, I like shock value, that you get from maximum speed and fragile projectiles, granted if someone is wearing heavy clothing I'm not going to try and shoot through the clothing, but the hydrostatic disruption that comes from faster than normal rounds designed to splinter and cause tissue damage in the area around the initial impact seems like a scenario that will be hard for the person shot to continue doing whatever it was they were doing? now that might be an upper A zone hit, or it might be a headshot ? oops ! sorry your honor I was just shooting to make him stop, I wasn't intending to hit him between the eyes :rolleyes:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I suppose I differ from most, as I don't stress over maximum penetration, I like shock value, that you get from maximum speed and fragile projectiles, granted if someone is wearing heavy clothing I'm not going to try and shoot through the clothing, but the hydrostatic disruption that comes from faster than normal rounds designed to splinter and cause tissue damage in the area around the initial impact seems like a scenario that will be hard for the person shot to continue doing whatever it was they were doing? now that might be an upper A zone hit, or it might be a headshot ? oops ! sorry your honor I was just shooting to make him stop, I wasn't intending to hit him between the eyes :rolleyes:
I’m like you, I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 frequently. It’s better than a .45 in the truck. I usually have Hornady Critical Defense in it and never had a feed problem.

I‘m looking to do as much damage as possible as I extract myself from the situation. It’s defense not a soldier holding ground.

Big7

The Oracle
Federal HST 99 grain is a top performer in ballistics gel tests from pocket .380s. Still expands reliably and penetrates in excess of the FBI standard 12". It's what lives in my LCP2.
I use those because I couldn't find Gold Dot.

transfixer

I run the Federal HST's in my 9mm, p365, I've seen numerous gel tests showing their expansion , I used to get Gold Dots years ago and load my own, I haven't seen them readily available in a while, I do know at least one county LE department issues Gold Dots as their issue pistol ammo

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I use the Hornady Critical Defense FTX in my .380. Seems to test fairly well in terms of penetration and expansion, and it's readily available. Though HST's and Gold Dots also seem to test fairly well.